Favour

If it's no bug or an idea, but it's still MUD-related, it goes here.

Moderator: Wizards

Delmon
Champion

Favour

#1 Post by Delmon » Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:06 pm

I found that I lost considerable favour through 'mind calling" which is neccesary for dealing with other players when pvp. It would be nice to see an increase in favour of lets say Taniel while fighting a member of the Sathonys clergy. I lost good roleplay and strategy from messing around with candles.

Also, I noticed that even though i fought an outlaw of the city, I lost reputation within the city afterwards. Maby there should be an increase in reputation after fighting outlaws.

...And ganon, I've never skirmished that long! thanks

ganandorf
Overlord

Re: Favour

#2 Post by ganandorf » Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:10 pm

Welcome, next time just dont keep running so much :D

I kind of agree with delmon, when fighting an outlaw of the city, does it count as being in the same room as them? And does one lose reputation for it, or is it different?
Meow

tessa
Overlord

#3 Post by tessa » Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:07 am

I would be seriously surprised if two people fought long enough for it to affect their reputation without one or the other finally losing. We're talking about like a 15-20 minute fight. And ghosts and arrested people won't affect reputation.

luminier
Overlord

#4 Post by luminier » Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:48 am

I've had duels with Ganon that last a few seconds at a time, usually we are doing our best to kick the shit out of each other. But there are alot of them, as neither of us wants to die, but we still do want to try for that lucky hit. Never had it affect reputation though.

Regardless fighting outlaws should boost some favour, but it sounds like it would be hard to code.

Killing other members of "enemy" religions is pretty well only good for Taniels and Sathonys. And maybe Asrals and Sathonys (but not really). I mean Tessa isn't going to go kill Andy for some favour, and it doesn't really make sense for any gwennie either. or evrenite (unless it's the crusader type) for that matter.

I could see how this all would suck for you Delmon, but it's the cost of being a loner. I've been there.

PS try getting banned from the Taniel Cathedral, I remember those days, I almost want to do them again.
The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world.

ganandorf
Overlord

#5 Post by ganandorf » Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:04 am

Perhaps only killing other religions should boost favour.
But fighting outlaws should definitely boost reputation, maybe even higher then your reputation would drop if you stood in the same room as them for a bit.
Meow

Delmon
Champion

#6 Post by Delmon » Mon Jan 12, 2009 5:33 pm

Ganon, you did plenty of running yourself if i remember correctly!

I am trying to suggest a way to make a more realistic favour boosting for the sake of 1) added rp, 2) added strategical communications, 3) more balanced between guild and non guild members, and 4) more fun in the afterwards of pvp

1) Added rp from player to player. Favour boost allows more 2) communication from player to player through priests. This allows for crys for help, therefore including more players into the scene, thus adding rp.

3) Guild members can communicate all too easy through miracles and rings. Therefore, non guild members have horrible communication. More favour from fights= increased communication= more balanced! I know I've been stuck with more than one character with joining a guild, and it would be great to have a small something something for fighting against a god's enemies.

4) more fun because everyone likes appreciation, even if it is hard coded

My basis of realism:
Consider why geas gods give favour. Acts. Not words, not thoughts like God, but plain simple acts from people for them or in honor of them. Taniel would love to see followers fighting Sathonys clerics or creatures, hence the suggested favour boost. lilith would love to see crusaders dead, hence the favour boost. Asral despises gwennies and wouldnt mind them dead, hence the favour boost. Isn't it obvious?
Killing other members of "enemy" religions is pretty well only good for Taniels and Sathonys
Wrong! Here is my suggestion:

Gwens vs Asralites
Taniels vs Sathonys/lilith
Evrens vs Sathonys/lilith
Liliths vs Evren/Taniel
Sathonys vs Evren/Taniel
Asrals vs Qwens
Zhakrin= nothing, bc of the neutral aspect of zhakrin.
I mean Tessa isn't going to go kill Andy for some favour
Again, even though not an enemy, you would think that gwen would favour her defending her religion and fighting against asral demons. Is this incorrect?
We're talking about like a 15-20 minute fight
I suggest a small favour boost the moment one attacks the person, and added favour as the fights continues. A kill would be the simplest(?) but not the most thought provoking and realistic.

Also, I understand that clerics loose favour when using miracles. So, to balance the game, perhaps
1. increase the cost of favour for miracles and
2. increase the favour gained while -whatever clerics do to gain favour-.
So, npc fight= decreased loss of favour, then sac gains more favour
PVP fight= small gain of favour, a kill and sac large gain

-OR-

Clerics.Crussies, and Order could be under a different set of favour code system than the rest of us. But that sounds insane to code.
try getting banned from the Taniel Cathedral
?? was this question to me?

Andreati
Master

#7 Post by Andreati » Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:06 pm

What you're talking of Delmon seems like a lot of work for not much gain.

The purpose of having clergies is to have more favour than the average Joe follower.

Also, under your system, it seems like anyone worshipping a god and killing a follower of another god that's not opposite would gain favour from the opposite god. Think of it like An Asralite killing a Sathonite, then being blessed by Taniel for this deed. If the Taniel church is at war with the Asralites...how does that make sense?

I vote to leave it as is.
There are very few personal problems that cannot be solved by a suitable application of high explosives.

Delmon
Champion

#8 Post by Delmon » Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:06 pm

seems like a lot of work for not much gain.
maby because you are not affected by it?
it seems like anyone worshipping a god and killing a follower of another god that's not opposite would gain favour from the opposite god
No, you'd have to be a Taniel follower to get favour from taniel for attacking a sathonys or liliths only

luminier
Overlord

#9 Post by luminier » Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:27 pm

I am inclinded to agree with Andy on this one to be honest. Most of what you have said should just be a given for followers to do and need not be rewarded.

And I don't think Andy is saying not much gain because it doesn't affect her, I think it is because there is really not much gain. It's an alright idea, but the whole favour issue from killing an enemy is kind of odd to me. Yes I am fighting enemies of the Crusade, but I am rewarded in other ways. The real favour does, and should, come from sacrificing in my opinion.

Like I said before, fighting enemies of your religion should be obvious, and not rewarded. But saying that, sacrificing could be seen as obvious as well. Then it just comes a question of what is easier to code. Keep it the way it is then?

Delia
Overlord

#10 Post by Delia » Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:57 am

Most followers who can go to active clergies have the EASIEST option of maintaining top-notch favour. Just beg for a preach. Others have it harder but then again the sacrifices have relative benefits as well. Candles for taniel are just a drop in the ocean where some blood spilled for Evren does wonders indeed.

Then again Asrals have the best of both worlds here...not only there are active clerics, it is very easy to kick your favour skyhigh tossing few heads into the pit.
"To be is to do" - Sokrates
"To do is to be" - Jean-Paul Sartre
"Do be do be do" - Frank Sinatra

ganandorf
Overlord

#11 Post by ganandorf » Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:17 am

From what ive seen theres not many active clerics on the asral side.
Meow

Andreati
Master

#12 Post by Andreati » Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:47 pm

For the Asrals, having more than one cleric active is many active clerics :)
There are very few personal problems that cannot be solved by a suitable application of high explosives.

luminier
Overlord

#13 Post by luminier » Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:06 pm

well i recall 2 weeks ago ish, there were about 4-5 at one point. which is significant. even if they are a little weak =P.

id kill for 5 crusaders being awake everyday. ah my life would be so much more simple, but then i wouldn't get as much praise either.

Andreati
Master

#14 Post by Andreati » Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:27 pm

Don't complain, Lumi--Not all that long ago there were more than five crusties on per day. Maybe four. Still.

tessa
Overlord

#15 Post by tessa » Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:43 pm

Every guild has ups and downs. A month ago, I remember Asrals having some 8 or more active clerics. Shaolin were once like that too, now they don't have much either. Same with Crusaders. It's hard to accurately determine guild activity past 1-2 members.

luminier
Overlord

#16 Post by luminier » Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:57 pm

not complaining, i like being the next mathias to everyone, too bad i don't have the 100% muscle to back it up. but i think delia was remembering 1-2 weeks ago when there was way more asrals online.

ganandorf
Overlord

#17 Post by ganandorf » Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:58 pm

I think one of the only guilds that had relatively stable numbers is ours :P
I've never seen more then 3 members since the olden days.
2 is the max i've seen in a while.
Meow

Delia
Overlord

#18 Post by Delia » Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:24 am

Statement was based on an "Asral average" of around 3 clerics which is more or less what I have seen over the years. Weekly situations change quite quickly but yearly situations which the assesment is based on are somewhat more reliable.
"To be is to do" - Sokrates
"To do is to be" - Jean-Paul Sartre
"Do be do be do" - Frank Sinatra

Delmon
Champion

#19 Post by Delmon » Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:42 pm

Andy, accept more people into your guild! Im sure there are a couple just waiting to join the asrals... Don't get annoyed by activity if your not going to let characters in and leave them hanging.

tessa
Overlord

#20 Post by tessa » Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:20 pm

I think it's important to make sure hopefuls actually meet expectations and can be productive members of the guild before accepting any old schmuck off the street for the sake of numbers. Just because someone wants to join doesn't mean they necessarily deserve to join, or have automatically earned it.