Recent Observations

If it's no bug or an idea, but it's still MUD-related, it goes here.

Moderator: Wizards

triska
Veteran

Recent Observations

#1 Post by triska » Fri Jan 16, 2009 7:20 pm

Triska died twice to the hobgoblins near the oak tree. She used to be able to kill them with care but has found now they seem to be super strong.

Have npc's like the Hobgoblins been altered in some way because even Urik who is very strong got a nasty bashing from them when he was helping her.

Gremlins also I know were altered but now are hardly easy critters since they are so fast even for a halfing to use specials on.
You slam the handle of your shortsword against the bouncy blue male
gremlin's torso and hurt him seriously.

The bouncy blue male gremlin is lifted off his feet and falls down to
the ground.

The bouncy blue male gremlin's wounds start to bleed.
>>
You thrust your gleaming slender shortsword at the bouncy blue male
gremlin's left arm, pierce through his jacket and drill it deep into his
left arm, causing a deep wound.

The bouncy blue male gremlin twists his body, slamming the heels of his
hands against the ground launching himself to his feet.
You are not ready yet
>You kick the bouncy blue male gremlin hard with your foot and bruise
his left leg slightly.
Triska is reasonably fast even in a weakend state but she couldnt get a kick in after knocking him to the ground because he was up and on his feet before she could use 'kick ' and yes she has delaylimit 0
Laughter is the best gift to give anyone and its free!

Delia
Overlord

Re: Recent Observations

#2 Post by Delia » Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:12 pm

That is flickup for you. It works for them as it does for the players. Very few monsters actually utilize specials nicely and flickup sure makes them bit harder. It was quite a surprise to see scrags suddenly do flickups...usually they just went down and stayed there until they died like good trolls ought to.

But as for delaylimit vs. flickup...dl has no meaning, you can try to flickup the instant you fall down. Only if you fail there is a brief wait for another try.

As for the general power of monsters, many times I've thought some monsters have been boosted but it has turned out I've had a streak of rotten luck. Not discounting the fact that the hobbos were actually boosted though.
"To be is to do" - Sokrates
"To do is to be" - Jean-Paul Sartre
"Do be do be do" - Frank Sinatra

tessa
Overlord

#3 Post by tessa » Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:53 pm

Hobgoblins can be pretty random. Tessa is a high level character and can still get chased off by hobbos now and then, though it's not too often.

luminier
Overlord

#4 Post by luminier » Sat Jan 17, 2009 2:31 am

Just kill them, I don't see the problem.

except for the fact it attacked before it flicked up. thats a little awesome.
The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world.

Abharsair
Site Admin

#5 Post by Abharsair » Sat Jan 17, 2009 1:33 pm

I am not aware that hobgoblins got changed. Gremlins were, yes, but they retained roughly the same skills and stats. They were merely changed to a better coding standard, which might have resulted in better tactics. But that shouldn't make them more deadly, just maybe slightly harder to kill.
"The beatings will continue until morale improves."

Delia
Overlord

#6 Post by Delia » Sat Jan 17, 2009 2:32 pm

Hobgoblins can be pretty random.
A lone orc can get lucky enough to almost kill Delia sometimes...fighting is dangerous!

luminier
Overlord

#7 Post by luminier » Sat Jan 17, 2009 2:47 pm

to be perfectly honest, ive fought 5 orcs, completely naked and they have never come close to killing me. I really think it just comes down to who is what race. halflings and elves aren't the greatest when it comes to fighting really overpowering enemies. and in delias case, an orc might not be considered over powering, but the fact remains that she is an elf and that is clearly thrown into the equation whether she will get a solid hit from an orc, or not. Same goes with Triska, and hobgoblins.

With respect to the "tactics" some enemies can get, as long as trolls can't flick up Ill be happy.

Delmon
Champion

#8 Post by Delmon » Sat Jan 17, 2009 7:09 pm

who is what race
It comes down to one hit when dealing with elves or halflings. Lucky one hits are devestating, especially from a human or tshahark, or even the "dodgeless", armour ignoring miracles . Also, there is a nice wide gap between clerics and non-clerics in terms of pvp. That being said, there are advantages to everything, and I know little fast hitting elves with high skills are awsome team mates to a cleric or tank.

One orc alone cant hurt me. Add another and its rare but I can be chased. Luminier said it right, its race.

tessa
Overlord

#9 Post by tessa » Sat Jan 17, 2009 10:53 pm

It can depend on tactics, too. I've seen a few (decent sized) tshaharks run off by a couple of orcs, where in other situations, said tshaharks can plow through the orcs like one might rabbits.

luminier
Overlord

#10 Post by luminier » Sun Jan 18, 2009 1:02 am

Well I guess if that is true, sometimes you get the dog and sometimes the dog gets you. Luckily Ive had my good share of dog getting.

Delmon
Champion

#11 Post by Delmon » Sun Jan 18, 2009 9:33 pm

Tactics come from developing stats and skills according to racial and guild advantages. If you put one on one, same skills, same armour, same weapons at a high level (example: ultimate strength and agility and constitution and 90+ skills) it comes down to one lucky hit from a tshahark/dwarf/human to end an elf or halfling.

Delia
Overlord

#12 Post by Delia » Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:58 am

Good thing that Geas does not make it that simple though. It is true that AGI and deflect(+ some light leathers) cannot makeup for good armour. You get hit. You get hit a lot. Some of those of hits end up as criticals even if you usually grind through your 'usual prey' without effort.

AGI, light enc and speed in general is more helpful one on one, con+armour in team efforts.

Something said about simple tactics and luck though. Wield a big weapon and hope for a good critical followed by an immediate feint. Add a special move. You win. This minus the special move seen done by a single orc wielding an axe with both hands a countless times -> optional missing hand, vbs and bleeding.