Sparring or Practice Arrows

If it's no bug or an idea, but it's still MUD-related, it goes here.

Moderator: Wizards

Cuetlachtli
Veteran

Sparring or Practice Arrows

#1 Post by Cuetlachtli » Thu Feb 05, 2009 4:36 pm

Was thinking that having wooden tipped, blunted arrows for PvP sparring might be neat. It would allow aspiring young archers (and aspiring rangers) the opportunity to practice some advanced tactics and experiment a little with how one might use the bow in high pressure situations and against more intelligent opponents.

Probably been suggested before, but I couldn't find anything quite like it from my search.

That's all!

Damanta
Veteran

Re: Sparring or Practice Arrows

#2 Post by Damanta » Sat Jul 18, 2009 9:53 pm

I'd actually like to see this implemented as well. I frequently loose spars that I think I would not have if I had gotten a shot off first. Anyway, Good idea.
I have never let my schooling interfere with my education. - Mark Twain

luminier
Overlord

#3 Post by luminier » Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:24 am

this would be a good idea, once you can do things like talk and move while loading a bow.... or a few other things that shouldn`t stop loading.
The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world.

matusalem
Master

#4 Post by matusalem » Mon Jul 20, 2009 3:38 am

I think a while back, I put Matusalem on 100% dodge and the defend mood to see if I could reload while in melee; my theory being he was just moving his body not to get hit rather than parrying with his bow and not trying to attack at all. It didn't work. I think any skilled archer would be frightening if they could reload while in melee.

To elaborate on the idea of sparring arrows, it may be interesting to see a "fletching" skill. Someone could gather nuggets, sinew, feathers, and branches... maybe require a fire and crucible to make arrowheads... a knife to whittle out a shaft... and the sinew to bind everything together. (Perhaps make flint or obsidian mineable and one could take a whetstone and knock out stone arrowheads from them.) The idea being one could make progressively more dangerous arrows, as well as different types of arrows. One could make the standard arrows to perform the typical piercing damage. Other options could be some kind of blunted arrow for blunt damage and sparrow-tail arrows for cutting or slashing damage. Perhaps the blunted arrows could be used for sparring as well. I would especially love to see a "bowyer" skill where one using the same method could make or customize a bow... since Xuchal won't.

Damanta
Veteran

#5 Post by Damanta » Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:35 pm

While this is getting quickly more to the 'ideas' section I would agree. I would love to see more things you can make yourself in the game. Like being able to tie a knife to a stick to make a makeshift spear. In fact *heads to the ideas board*
I have never let my schooling interfere with my education. - Mark Twain