Talk about what you like in a guild

If it's no bug or an idea, but it's still MUD-related, it goes here.

Moderator: Wizards

luminier
Overlord

Re: Talk about what you like in a guild

#41 Post by luminier » Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:49 am

When I encounter Druids, if it's not for role play, it's for taking them monster grinding where they really do nothing except toss me the odd buff and make things turn into other things.

I heard some really cool Druids concepts, but imo, if you take out the combat system in this game you are left with role playing, and tasks like scribing and potions making(obviously). But since you can't fight you are generally whoring your talents for money that is essentially useless to you, unless you want awesome armour, but then what... slowly grind undead (because it's something you can kill w/o incurring the wrath of the Gods) and eventually become good enough to become ruler of Forostar? Personally I think the game is better with non-restrictive combat aspect - and probably another reason the guilds being trashed.

Then again Ive never played a Druid and everything I've said is a complete assumption. Accurate or not? You decide.
The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world.

matusalem
Master

#42 Post by matusalem » Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:10 pm

Luminier's player has got a pretty good grasp of the situation when it comes to the Druids. What he doesn't mention are some of the other draw backs. Druids cannot perform Druid requests if they wear ANYTHING other than Druid equipment. Druid "armour" is NOT armour. It's clothing and protects you no more than a cloak or robe would. So even you do want to fight undead, you need to stop and realize you're going to pretty much be unprotected, and not all Druids get the protective buff. Since there is no such thing as an easy undead, combat is pretty much a no-go for any Druid unless of course they are a skilled warrior prior to joining, and even then, they're sacrificing a lot for a little. All of this is strictly from a mechanical point of view. RP-wise, Druids have a lot of great point which I think I mentioned earlier in the thread. In other games, I've seen non-combat oriented healer type classes or guilds, and I can only assume this was the idea behind the Druids. Unfortunately, for whatever reasons, it just hasn't panned out. I will give you this slight hint though: There is a way a druid can fight and defeat the various wicked creatures in the game same as any other guild, but it requires a lot of patience and some rather poor RP.

I still like the Druids a lot in theory purely from a RP stand point. Druid and by extension Evrenite roleplay is full of whimsical creatures, magical plants, and visions. Maybe someday if there are ever enough players to warrant it, the Druids will be reworked or replaced with some other kind of Evren clergy. We'll see.

Minariel
Journeyman

#43 Post by Minariel » Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:02 am

I actually asked Renhaven about druids in game... she mentioned the tree Elor, and a prophecy, and the wrath of nature. Forshadowing of the future of druids, maybe?

luminier
Overlord

#44 Post by luminier » Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:44 am

If people have an interest in the Druids, maybe what they could do is start a wiki group and figure out how to put the guild to bed, or figure out a way to put it to better use. either way I think we all agree that something should be done about them... eventually. what i think we need mostly are wizards with endless amounts of time.
The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world.

matusalem
Master

#45 Post by matusalem » Thu Nov 05, 2009 2:48 am

Last I checked there was a druid wiki; it's even less active than the druid guild.

lanyara
Overlord

#46 Post by lanyara » Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:51 am

what i think we need mostly are wizards with endless amounts of time.
That is probably one good reason, especially in regards to a (any) guild lacking an active wizard.
Best race: halflings.