Talk about what you like in a guild

If it's no bug or an idea, but it's still MUD-related, it goes here.

Moderator: Wizards

Delmon
Champion

Talk about what you like in a guild

#1 Post by Delmon » Sun Aug 02, 2009 9:17 pm

CofT have pure options, they are the best support fighters, have great communication, great mobility, an amazing magical sword ability, and a fortress with lots of rooms. They are undead destroyers and healers. Plus, our leader is good and active. :D

Is your guild any better?

Delia
Overlord

Re: Talk about what you like in a guild

#2 Post by Delia » Mon Aug 03, 2009 12:20 am

All guilds have their functions and relate bit differently regarding combat. I like the laid back shao-lin lifestyle and all the martial arts stuff. Also the guild being somewhat mundane(not having superflashythingies) is quite nice also. Shaos can be quite effective support fighters in a team with their skills, even if the foes they are good against are limited in number compared to the regular warrior. In team PvP situations they can rock. The few special abilities shaos have access to bring out a nice flavour also.
"To be is to do" - Sokrates
"To do is to be" - Jean-Paul Sartre
"Do be do be do" - Frank Sinatra

luminier
Overlord

#3 Post by luminier » Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:30 am

Crusaders are generally good, the only downfall is you can only truly be exceptional if you are quite strong or can tank quite well. This limits the best classes to humans, dwarves and tshaharks in general. I haven't seen a half-elf or elf stick with the Crusaders long enough, and the only halfling was quite good, but didn't wear the armour.

We get alot of nice bonuses too, we are probably the best guild in the game.
The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world.

Kaseo
Journeyman

#4 Post by Kaseo » Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:13 pm

Delia wrote:... I like the laid back shao-lin lifestyle and all the martial arts stuff. Also the guild being somewhat mundane(not having superflashythingies) is quite nice also. Shaos can be quite effective support fighters in a team with their skills, even if the foes they are good against are limited in number compared to the regular warrior. In team PvP situations they can rock. The few special abilities shaos have access to bring out a nice flavour also.
Everything previously said by Delia I agree with. Plus the fact that being neutral means I have no obligations to fight against this group or that group. I can just play how I'd want... within the rules of Shaolin, of course. I also love the unarmed Shaolin fighting style.
And regarding Shaos being effective support, I remember when I first started before becoming a Shao I was grouped with a couple others and someone mentioned that "we NEED a Shao before we even think about trolls." I found that amusing and just added to my interest in Shao-Lin.
"Luminier says deeply and quietly in Common: Enough with the
pleasantries
Luminier gives you a rough man hug."

matusalem
Master

#5 Post by matusalem » Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:56 pm

My favorite guild is probably the most damaged; that being the druids. They've got a lot of style and a lot of mystery about them. I don't know if everyone realizes half the things that go on with them; unfortunately, a lot of the things that make them so unique also hurt them tremendously. They have the cool cloaks that conceal one's face; however, wearing it around will get the snot beat of them. Their requests are in many instances better than clerical miracles and a whole lot more descriptive; however, they're forced to only use druid gear and not enter combat in order to use them. This of course either limits their playability or forces the player to actually have to think about new ways in which to play. (I was not so good at the latter, unfortunately.) Their guildhall is definitely one of the more interesting that I've seen. I think a lot of the rp that developed around them also limited them from being combat healers, which also has detracted from them. Maybe someday they'll develop more playability. Just my two cents.

Delia
Overlord

#6 Post by Delia » Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:05 am

I'd like to see more druids around, personally. Nice people to know usually. It kinda feels quite restrictive to play one though, from what I have heard and read. Definitely not for everyone, but one cannot deny that they are not cool and mysterious. Hopefully the issues around them are worked out someday or the other.
"To be is to do" - Sokrates
"To do is to be" - Jean-Paul Sartre
"Do be do be do" - Frank Sinatra

caelia
Professional

#7 Post by caelia » Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:59 am

I love playing as a Cleric of Taniel. Their abilities allow a great deal of flexibility - I think "support fighter" is probably the best way to put it, but within that, there is room to emphasize fighting or casting, or to split the difference somehow. There are some fascinating (at least to me) role-playing opportunities, and Caelia has gotten the chance to debate philosophy and theology, help rehabilitate ex-Sathonites, and all sorts of other things. At her rank, I'll admit that some of the roleplay gets tough, and I'm quite sure I have upset more than a few of you by doing the things I felt I had to do in roleplaying a rigidly good, morally conservative character.

The teamwork aspect of it is probably my favorite part. A solo cleric can do pretty well, but I think that most of the cleric abilities really reach their potential in teams. A cleric can be good at quite a few things, but it's hard to fight in the front line, deal a lot of melee damage, be ready with miracles, keep a trim inventory, and move around quickly, all at the same time, so we usually have to pick and choose which of these we want to do, and rely on teammates for the rest. On the reverse side of this, however, because clerics are potentially good at all of these things, they can fill just about any capability gap the team would otherwise face.

To top all of that off, there are a few tasks that basically aren't possible without a Cleric of Taniel. It's always nice feeling useful. :)

luminier
Overlord

#8 Post by luminier » Fri Aug 07, 2009 4:53 pm

Healers are always needed and while the druids are better at it, only few are effective enough at fighting and fewer are around, and fewer are willing to do so. I am used to playing a game where I am essentially a one man army. in Geas I can dish out big hits, and take even bigger ones, but, I am certainly not invincible which is sobering. With a Cleric of Taniel I feel invincible though =D. I have always liked the Clerics of Taniel because they seem like that all around type of player but then really all the Clerical guilds are spectacular in their own right.

Jalil
Beginner

#9 Post by Jalil » Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:45 pm

What can I say? Asral Clerics all the way! =) A great role for the solo fighters and a good tank for groups as well. I love throwing fire and lightning around at stuff, lots of fun. And a flaming polearm?? Woo-hoo!

I do get a kind of sick pleasure from the constant back and forth struggle that Asrals face. It provides for some interesting RP to say the least.

However, I think it is obvious to a lot of people at this point that Jalil views the Asral faith slightly differently than other characters have in the past (or present)...he doesn't see a good reason for going around picking fights, being short, rude or quick to temper just because he follows a god of war. While I know that a lot of people might not agree with this, he has his IC reasons. :D

-poJalil

luminier
Overlord

#10 Post by luminier » Tue Aug 11, 2009 3:21 am

Asral Clerics are pretty amazing, but in terms of over all bonus I think the Crusade still takes the top seat. A custom mount is pretty weighty.

matusalem
Master

#11 Post by matusalem » Tue Aug 11, 2009 3:44 am

Custom mounts? Oh, that reminds me of another great thing about the Druids: ultimate horse thieves! (Not really a legitimate perk.) :wink:

Jalil
Beginner

#12 Post by Jalil » Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:16 pm

Ultimate horse thieves? Druids are crooked?? :D

Delmon
Champion

#13 Post by Delmon » Tue Aug 11, 2009 4:40 pm

finnally

ganandorf
Overlord

#14 Post by ganandorf » Tue Aug 11, 2009 6:41 pm

Out of the two guilds ive played, id have to say i prefer sathonys clerics (though in all fairness my crusader was a shitty shitty shitty shitty shitty bastard).

Whats good about the sathos?

1. A team of sathos is devastating, One individual satho is also devistating. This is probably to compromise for our lack of numbers. But i think when one sathos can kill 5 goodies (but htat was a one time thing) there has to be something awesome about that.

2. Undeads? Badass.

3. Bone armours? Badass.

One thing that i really do not like about the sathos is that everyone hates us :(. Anytime im seen by 1 person and dont immediately capture them, next thing i know 4-5 people are coming after me.
Though it comes with the job :P/
Meow

rafael
Professional

#15 Post by rafael » Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:10 pm

I think it's more: see satho, run away!, warn everyone...

A healthy dose of fear along that hate, as it should be.

ganandorf
Overlord

#16 Post by ganandorf » Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:19 pm

Guess so, its not that big when i see a guildless but when i see someone whose part of a guild, and every asral/crusader/taniel cleric/ranger/shao online comes after you. Not very fun lol

edit: then again thats theyre just doing their job. so no hard feelings, i forgive all of you guys for teaming up against me, and maybe one day, we can all be friends, sathos and taniels alike.
Meow

Kaseo
Journeyman

#17 Post by Kaseo » Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:01 pm

ganandorf wrote:... maybe one day, we can all be friends, sathos and taniels alike.
Yes! It's totally going to happen. Haters of Forostar unite! :P
"Luminier says deeply and quietly in Common: Enough with the
pleasantries
Luminier gives you a rough man hug."

luminier
Overlord

#18 Post by luminier » Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:55 pm

Currently pretty much all guilds will team to fight a Sathonite. I see why it's shitty to play one.

Though I can't really see it being any other way.

Arwenth
Master

#19 Post by Arwenth » Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:19 am

I think I saw something earlier mentioned about certain races not being suited to certain guilds

Has there ever been any elven Clerics of Asral?
“He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetrate it. He who accepts evil without protesting against it is really cooperating with it.”

krelji
Hero

#20 Post by krelji » Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:55 am

I am not sure if my char has seen a halfling asral priest before, but apart from those
and darkelves, he's seen members of all races as warpriests.
All knowledge is heresy. Yes, you heard me correctly.
It is the nature of religions to thrive on ignorance.