Picking up things when mounted

If it's no bug or an idea, but it's still MUD-related, it goes here.

Moderator: Wizards

rafael
Professional

Picking up things when mounted

#1 Post by rafael » Sat Aug 22, 2009 3:55 am

Hi,

I was wondering if it picking up things from the ground when mounted makes much sense without a mounted combat check. It seems to be a quite acrobatic feat, requiring you to hang from the side of the horse and reach down to pick the thing up while riding around. (At least I envision mounted combat to involve some riding around the enemy and not as stationary.)

My character uses throwing knives and while it's a godsend for him, it makes me think twice about the mechanics of it, even more than the fact that he's using daggers on horseback. Though I admit it is the horse that's doing much of the work. (Stepping on the gremlins with its hooves and such.)

This has probably been discusses before, but what are your thoughts?

Would some restrictions make some character builds unviable or would it be a welcome penalty? Not sure how this scores on the playability/realism debate.

PO Rafael

Sairina
Hero

Re: Picking up things when mounted

#2 Post by Sairina » Sat Aug 22, 2009 5:19 am

I've never had a mount, so I can't speak from experience, but at least theoretically I would say that a horse is such an advantage in a fight, that the disadvantage of not being able to pick things up would only serve to make it more balanced. _And_ more realistic.
Short weapons could just have a reduced chance of hitting while on horseback, while the long ones might possibly even have more impact.

Delmon
Champion

#3 Post by Delmon » Sat Aug 22, 2009 1:35 pm

I agree with Rafael. It's not plausible to have a rider sweep down and grab something during a fight, especially against more than one opponent.

By the way, is it it possible to knock a horse down and its rider with a shoulder charge and enough strength?

luminier
Overlord

#4 Post by luminier » Sat Aug 22, 2009 3:08 pm

As a person who uses mounts for everything except going to the bathroom, because well it is offered to us as a guild perk, Id say just keep picking things off the ground while on a mount in just for ease of use.

Seems pretty -un-realistic to be able to bodycheck an animal four or fives times your weight that is standing on all fours and cause any noticeable affect. For tshaharks obviously the bodycheck would be different.

The way I see it Sairina, mounts really aren't an advantage in a fight unless you have like 100 mounted combat, which is so amazingly hard to get it's not even funny. It's so easy to make the mount bleed and force the rider to retreat even though the rider hasn't taken a scratch. You would think a unicorn or horse would be a huge advantage to the point where the footman would have almost no chance of winning but that isn't the case. (Not saying I want an instant win everytime I face someone not on a mount)

Fighting with fists or short weapons while mounted seems pretty silly, but if thats going to be taken out, id like to see a buff in another place... ie the benefit of using a longer weapon.

All in all I would really like the copious amount of mount bugs to be fixed first, then we can focus on tweaking it to make them more realistic and giving a real advantage.
The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world.

Delmon
Champion

#5 Post by Delmon » Sat Aug 22, 2009 8:26 pm

the benefit of using a longer weapon.
Isn't that called charging?

luminier
Overlord

#6 Post by luminier » Sun Aug 23, 2009 2:24 am

charging is pretty limited in PvP. Anyways if it's decided to not allow smaller weapons fine. I just hope something else is boosted.

isengoo
Champion

#7 Post by isengoo » Sun Aug 23, 2009 11:28 am

I am in favor of anything which makes life more difficult for crusaders.

luminier
Overlord

#8 Post by luminier » Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:54 am

isengoo wrote:I am in favor of anything which makes life more difficult for crusaders.
Ouch. Well I am game for anything that makes the Asrals worse then. Hmph.

Delmon
Champion

#9 Post by Delmon » Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:58 am

I think it'd be nice and balanced if crusaders suddenly got packhorses instead of unicorns.

Arwenth
Master

#10 Post by Arwenth » Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:22 pm

Delmon wrote:I think it'd be nice and balanced if crusaders suddenly got packhorses instead of unicorns.
I have to say that if I logged in after RPing Arwenth busting her ass for a unicorn and Aristede was a packhorse...She'd probably loose her mind and become a sathos...
“He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetrate it. He who accepts evil without protesting against it is really cooperating with it.”

luminier
Overlord

#11 Post by luminier » Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:41 pm

It's true, there was busting.

rafael
Professional

#12 Post by rafael » Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:12 pm

A few things puzzle me still. You can pick up things from the ground, but you can't give them to other people, forcing you to dismount?

I'm goint to try to have a look at the specials you can perform when mounted too. Any help from the mounted combat experts?

At least it seems like you can't backswing from horseback, but can disarm.

luminier
Overlord

#13 Post by luminier » Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:51 pm

I think you should be able to backswing, but thats just me.

You can't spin, knee, leap, concentrate or do any Shao-Lin specials while riding.