Empty glasses & beer bottles

If it's no bug or an idea, but it's still MUD-related, it goes here.

Moderator: Wizards

rafael
Professional

Empty glasses & beer bottles

#1 Post by rafael » Sat Aug 22, 2009 5:23 am

They're around. They litter and add to room spam. Aside from breaking them and using them as a haphazard weapon, I don't think you can do much with them. Fill the bottles with water? Never tried. How about the barkeep clean them up occasionaly, or pay someone a copper for cleaning up everything?

Should we return them to the barkeep if we're nice? Never tried, so don't know if it's possible. Don't think it is though.

Jalil
Beginner

Re: Empty glasses & beer bottles

#2 Post by Jalil » Sat Aug 22, 2009 12:42 pm

I usually end up giving mine to Volog, he seems to like collecting them...

Sairina
Hero

#3 Post by Sairina » Sat Aug 22, 2009 2:48 pm

Well, the glasses and bottles can at least be sold at a general store. But generally, it would be nice to have something to put garbage into (possibly in the pubs would be a good place for that). There's so many worthless things lying around on the city streets, ragged trousers, shirts and stuff. Right now the only things we can do is either give it all to volog or bury it.

Another nice way would be some ragpicker who buys entirely worthless stuff (and only that) and gives you a few copper coins for it. Or make Volog pick up bottles and glasses that were left on the marketplace, like real life beggars do to get the refund.

krelji
Hero

#4 Post by krelji » Sat Aug 22, 2009 3:01 pm

Adding trashbins to pubs and other places shouldn't be an issue. I think the
code for it should still be lurking around, and was last being used for a now
closed pub known by the names of 'The place' or 'da place'. Just avoid the
variant of the trashbin that sends all objects to /dev/null.
All knowledge is heresy. Yes, you heard me correctly.
It is the nature of religions to thrive on ignorance.

Andreati
Master

#5 Post by Andreati » Sat Aug 22, 2009 4:31 pm

Having coded trashbins would be cool, but I imagine that recycling is also realistic. When I was away this summer, we would go out drinking after work, and we would always return the beer bottles to the shanty little pubs/stores we bought the beer from. They'd give a .30 USD refund for each bottle returned, and then just get the bottle refilled.

Maybe returning the bottles could give a 5 copper refund, or something, and have steins or mugs (instead of glasses), that would need to be returned before you left the pub.
There are very few personal problems that cannot be solved by a suitable application of high explosives.

matusalem
Master

#6 Post by matusalem » Sat Aug 22, 2009 8:12 pm

Correct me if I'm wrong, my experience in the northern parts of Forostar is limited, but I believe there is a halfling NPC who goes around picking things up off the ground and taking them somehwere. What if the cities had such an NPC who would do that? Some obnoxious little fellow who collects garbage from the ground and takes it to the city's dump where it sits until the next reboot.

Kaseo
Journeyman

#7 Post by Kaseo » Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:17 pm

matusalem wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, my experience in the northern parts of Forostar is limited, but I believe there is a halfling NPC who goes around picking things up off the ground and taking them somehwere. What if the cities had such an NPC who would do that? Some obnoxious little fellow who collects garbage from the ground and takes it to the city's dump where it sits until the next reboot.
Yes, there is such an NPC, and I agree that it would be an interesting thing that could be added to towns. It gives another NPC to interact with, and for other NPCs to interact with like how Gerrit and Volog sometimes yell at each other. Maybe he'd yell at you if he saw you just carelessly drop something onto the ground. Something to that affect.
"Luminier says deeply and quietly in Common: Enough with the
pleasantries
Luminier gives you a rough man hug."