Appearance

If it's no bug or an idea, but it's still MUD-related, it goes here.

Moderator: Wizards

Desiderea
Master

Appearance

#1 Post by Desiderea » Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:02 pm

What is it that determines how attractive a person is? Whether they're "the image of perfection" or "hideous"?

Also, it would be nice if you could see a person's apparent age when you look at them. Right now, you can see it if you appraise them, but it seems that's something that would be readily apparent just by looking (and it saves having to type another command to figure that out).

matusalem
Master

Re: Appearance

#2 Post by matusalem » Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:31 pm

I know attraction is very different from race to race. My halfling seems to find all elves ugly or hideous, humans plain to pretty, other halflings and dwarves of course attractive... what really throws me off is when he finds orcs and skeletons attractive. Somethin' ain't quite right.

isengoo
Champion

#3 Post by isengoo » Sat Aug 29, 2009 1:45 am

I'd like to see this have more emphasis in game, to be honest. If your character finds someone repulsive, they should act that way towards them, even if they are your BFF. And if your character finds someone to be the image of perfection, leniency and preference should be given to that character, even if they are your enemy.

Desiderea
Master

#4 Post by Desiderea » Sat Aug 29, 2009 4:22 am

matusalem wrote:what really throws me off is when he finds orcs and skeletons attractive. Somethin' ain't quite right.
Hmmmm.... :wink:

rafael
Professional

#5 Post by rafael » Sat Aug 29, 2009 2:18 pm

isengoo wrote:I'd like to see this have more emphasis in game, to be honest. If your character finds someone repulsive, they should act that way towards them, even if they are your BFF. And if your character finds someone to be the image of perfection, leniency and preference should be given to that character, even if they are your enemy.
They could also resent them because they are beautiful and/or unavailable ? ; )

isengoo
Champion

#6 Post by isengoo » Sat Aug 29, 2009 7:46 pm

I don't think people who spend their free time killing small evil creatures would have that much of a high school mentality, but that's certainly a possibility.

rafael
Professional

#7 Post by rafael » Sat Aug 29, 2009 8:50 pm

isengoo wrote:I don't think people who spend their free time killing small evil creatures would have that much of a high school mentality, but that's certainly a possibility.
Being petty isn't limited to highschool, nor is jealousy. In any case, there's no set of completely uniform reactions to beauty. I can see how an Asral might shun someone who puts too much effort into their appearance. It's something a gwennie would care about. A crusader with vows of chastity might have a hard time with the hotties. There aren't that many hot humans though. Heck, my char sees more male humans with a maxed beauty string than women. Bring on more sexy female humans and we'll start drooling.

luminier
Overlord

#8 Post by luminier » Sun Aug 30, 2009 6:36 am

*calls in masses of Crusader adoring girls* They have arrived.

What if you character finds someone to be perfection, yet the character your character finds to be perfection isn't suppose to be attractive in the slightest.
The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world.

loni

#9 Post by loni » Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:51 pm

luminier wrote:What if you character finds someone to be perfection, yet the character your character finds to be perfection isn't suppose to be attractive in the slightest.
loni thinks matusalem is the image of perfection. she's into old men.

caelia
Professional

#10 Post by caelia » Sun Aug 30, 2009 3:31 pm

I've never really known what to do with this, although I've made Caelia the sort of person who doesn't care much about appearances.

She sees herself as the "image of perfection", but I wasn't sure if this was supposed to mean that just about everyone would find her attractive, or that other humans would find her attractive and other races maybe less so, or that she's just extremely vain. :)

I've generally assumed that the second of these possibilities is the correct one, and I have her try to behave modestly (wearing a cowl most of the time), and mindful of her friends' vows of chastity, she generally tries not to incite naughty thoughts. ;)

matusalem
Master

#11 Post by matusalem » Sun Aug 30, 2009 7:44 pm

I'm fairly certain it's determined by race. Matusalem to himself and to other halflings appears "Image of perfection." (Of course, in what society wouldn't wild-eyed and extremely long beards make for a sexy beast?) I always assume finding something attractive means it best fits into your race's ideal of aesthetic beauty. This doesn't mean your character cannot find internal beauty in other people. Some things I think are default set to look the same no matter who sees them. Treants always look "strange" and I think unicorns always look "beautiful."

krelji
Hero

#12 Post by krelji » Mon Aug 31, 2009 6:18 am

How beautiful you appear to be in the eyes of others depends on various factors,
and not just the race. I am almost certain that there's a hidden attribute for it and
I am fairly certain that the short desc has some influence on it as well.
All knowledge is heresy. Yes, you heard me correctly.
It is the nature of religions to thrive on ignorance.

Delia
Overlord

#13 Post by Delia » Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:29 am

One thing that intrigues me is that how the other characters see themselves. Delia sees herself as 'fine'. I wonder if there is anyone who thinks of her/himself as hideous :lol: could be fun to play.
"To be is to do" - Sokrates
"To do is to be" - Jean-Paul Sartre
"Do be do be do" - Frank Sinatra

luminier
Overlord

#14 Post by luminier » Mon Aug 31, 2009 1:25 pm

It's a rare day that Luminier sees an elf or darkelf that is less than attractive, humans can be all over, dwarves and halflings are pretty much always never above fine, but tshaharks are treated as humans from what I have seen. I've seen image of perfection tshaharks.

Delia
Overlord

#15 Post by Delia » Tue Sep 01, 2009 4:22 am

Delia has seen so many nice looking ogres I'm almost tempted to have her worship Lilith. Should she ever find a handsome looking one with half a brain, I'll seriously think about it :P
"To be is to do" - Sokrates
"To do is to be" - Jean-Paul Sartre
"Do be do be do" - Frank Sinatra

Arwenth
Master

#16 Post by Arwenth » Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:30 am

Delia wrote:Delia has seen so many nice looking ogres I'm almost tempted to have her worship Lilith. Should she ever find a handsome looking one with half a brain, I'll seriously think about it :P
I thought that was just Arwenth with the ogres glad to know that's not the case although the day I looked at a giant and Arwenth thought it was attractive I almost fell out of my chair and died.
“He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetrate it. He who accepts evil without protesting against it is really cooperating with it.”

caelia
Professional

#17 Post by caelia » Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:42 pm

Delia wrote:Delia has seen so many nice looking ogres I'm almost tempted to have her worship Lilith. Should she ever find a handsome looking one with half a brain, I'll seriously think about it :P
Shaglug wasn't really trying to destroy the Legion. He was only trying to find Delia, his missing half. :wink:

luminier
Overlord

#18 Post by luminier » Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:28 pm

Appearance of skeletons and other enemies should probably be just be roleplayed even if you do find them attractive... if your character is a Goodie you should see it as a hideous abomination.

Kaseo
Journeyman

#19 Post by Kaseo » Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:01 pm

luminier wrote:Appearance of skeletons and other enemies should probably be just be roleplayed even if you do find them attractive... if your character is a Goodie you should see it as a hideous abomination.
I agree. Even the best looking of the evil wizards/generic baddies who've taken over/destroyed half the world are always still looked at as the ugliest creatures in existence.
Or an evil god. Generally, gods are flawless (disregarding personal beliefs in their mannerisms). But that doesn't mean that just because their appearance is flawless they're going to be any less hated by those that oppose their beliefs or actions. Physical appearance shouldn't affect you in a way that would prevent you from doing what you think is right.
"Luminier says deeply and quietly in Common: Enough with the
pleasantries
Luminier gives you a rough man hug."

lanyara
Overlord

#20 Post by lanyara » Sat Oct 31, 2009 11:31 pm

// Ever seen a furry elf? They have them, as a NPC guard in Elvandar!

The furry ageless male elf shivers.

You smile.

>l at furry elf

This is obviously a guard.
He has hazel eyes.
He has extremely short gray hair.
He is of normal height and lean for an elf.
He looks repulsive.
He is in good shape.
He is extremely alert.
He is wielding an elven longbow with his right hand.
He is wearing a helmet, a leather quiver, a left chain boot, a left leather
gauntlet, a long wide white cape, a pair of leather thigh-guards, a right
chain boot and a right leather gauntlet.

// Even all his fur does not help this poor elf from shivering due to the savage, bitter coldness!
Best race: halflings.