Heavy Armours

If it's no bug or an idea, but it's still MUD-related, it goes here.

Moderator: Wizards

Why don't you use heavy armours?

Tires me out too quickly while walking.
13%
Tires me out too quickly while fighting.
7%
I'm too slow during combat.
21%
Doesn't offer enough protection.
16%
Not enough high-quality heavy armours available.
11%
Heavy Armor skill is too hard to learn.
4%
Can't use flickup.
22%
Can't use other specials.
6%

Total votes: 114

Zehren
Overlord

Re: Heavy Armours

#41 Post by Zehren » Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:17 am

I have slight trouble seeing how 'knee' would hurt someone wearing platemail. :roll:
Drayn wrote:Zehren, the Karmassassin!

Urlyth
Veteran

#42 Post by Urlyth » Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:10 am

Possibly knock the wind out of them ?

lanyara
Overlord

#43 Post by lanyara » Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:22 am

Maybe still cause a fall down to the ground due to the force of the impact.
Best race: halflings.

luminier
Overlord

#44 Post by luminier » Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:30 pm

Well a plated/chainmail knee against a plated groin might hurt slightly, but an unarmoured/leather knee should never do any damage and only have knockdown potential.
The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world.

gojin
Master

#45 Post by gojin » Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:09 pm

As someone who occasionally gets kneed in the groin while wearing a protective cup I can say that armoured or not a good blow to the jewels can make you puke. That said, perhaps an unarmoured knee/headbutt to an armoured target could backfire? No armour headbutting a heavy armoured person = headbutter getting knocked out? No armour kneeing a heavy armoured person = ouchy knee? I picture something similar to when you use slam and it fails causing you some damage and dropping your weapon.
Last edited by gojin on Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Did you ever notice that people who believe in creationism look really un-evolved? - Bill Hicks
I have not failed. I've just found ten thousand ways that won't work. - Thomas Edison

Sairina
Hero

#46 Post by Sairina » Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:51 pm

I believe you already can get hurt when headbutting an amoured enemy without wearing a helmet?

Zehren
Overlord

#47 Post by Zehren » Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:58 pm

Sairina wrote:I believe you already can get hurt when headbutting an amoured enemy without wearing a helmet?
When I've headbutted someone, and the enemy head has been harder than mine, the attack only failed I think, without any damage to enemy or me.
Drayn wrote:Zehren, the Karmassassin!

ganandorf
Overlord

#48 Post by ganandorf » Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:07 pm

I've been knocked out by using a headbutt (with head less armoured) on an armoured opponent before.
Meow

Delmon
Champion

#49 Post by Delmon » Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:50 pm

plate should give the feeling of protection yet sluggishness. it should be the tank armor, not the slow, easily hit protection that it is right now. Heavy armor should make hitting light armoured acrobatic people much harder, but at the same time protect against most hits coming at it. That includes arrows. If it's that as of now, then there really should be more people wearing it... I would switch if plate was better than my guild chain armors.

Maybe the clerics of Taniel could get some plate armors? I'd make the switch.

Delia
Overlord

#50 Post by Delia » Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:37 am

Heavy armour should give good protection against melee even if realistically speaking if someone landed a solid blow on you you'd still be screwed. Anyone who remembers longbows at the battle of Agincourt or in any such battles will know the introduction of good missile weapons ended the days of the cavalry knight. I think that is well represented in Geas with the deadly arrows and all.
"To be is to do" - Sokrates
"To do is to be" - Jean-Paul Sartre
"Do be do be do" - Frank Sinatra

Urlyth
Veteran

#51 Post by Urlyth » Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:13 am

But Harold got an killed with an arrow to his eye! 1066

Skragna
Champion

#52 Post by Skragna » Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:12 pm

Agincourt ended the days of plate armor. A few years later, reinforced plate, or "field plate" was invented. Not long after that, the crossbow was invented and doomed ANY man in armor.

Delmon
Champion

#53 Post by Delmon » Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:45 pm

did they have mithril or magical plate? That's why it's a game and you can miss with a crossbow at point blank. Actually, I think you can miss when someone's unconscious. So we have a system that Abharsair et al attempted to create as fair and playable.

Light= better movement/ less defense
medium= medium movement/ medium defense
plate= less movement/ better defense

The question is, does plate accomplish this better defense status? In my opinion, not really. Since the hands and feet are still only somewhat protected, and everything is exhausting, and it's hard to hit opponents with plate armor on, why not just train is the versatile chain or useful light armor?
As mentioned above, most guilds only have chain or light armors as well.

Suggestion: Most clerical guilds could use a form of heavy. I could see great advantages of heavy armors, even with the system as is, for a cleric, assuming plate doesn't restrict casting.

lanyara
Overlord

#54 Post by lanyara » Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:47 pm

I could see great advantages of heavy armors, even with the system as is
Mass platelings will soon rule the world!

arxthas
Hero

#55 Post by arxthas » Fri Apr 09, 2010 6:58 am

My character currently uses heavy armour (cruss helmet). It is only for RP reasons though, not because I think it is the best option in terms of making the character as strong as possible. Then again, I do not think the goal of the game is either.

The reason he does not use more of them is probably because the guild armours are so much better. I also do not care that it's not entirely "fairly balanced", because real life isn't. Geas is also not the equal oppurtunity MUD. Playing evil is generally hard, some armours might suck more, some skills are very hard to learn, some areas are hard to reach, some people will be mean to you etc, etc, etc.

What I do care about is the diversity - it's more fun when using different armour types means something. I would opt for increasing the diversity by adding more specials (for both light and heavy users), more protection for heavy's in general and adding more heavy armours to the game. Most of the options like "Can't use flickup." being slower, getting tired etc is in my opinion exactly like it should be.

lanyara
Overlord

#56 Post by lanyara » Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:13 am

Go, platelings, go!

The "non-equal opportunities" is ok, but people will still use what is more effective :D or play an "easier route", but in my opinion right now being denied flickup (and hence a fast escape) due to heavy armours is a problem for any PvP situation.

If you still can't flickup, then I think there should be heavy armour options that really make you extremely hard to kill. Oh, and they should be easily available as well - it seems a lot easier to get light and medium armours than heavy armours. (Actually, I only know of battle-armour in Arborea, I guess)

As in options where you don't get individual pieces, but are "adviced" to combine heavy armours together nicely. A NPC could help here perhaps. Imagine if the NPC in an armoury would advice you on options to pick.

Skragna
Champion

#57 Post by Skragna » Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:24 pm

I'd pay good gold to get Crusader Armor made. A la The Hundred Years War era. Or is Geas not that advanced yet?

isengoo
Champion

#58 Post by isengoo » Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:37 pm

Delmon and I have already written up some Taniel Cleric plate armor descriptions - just need them implemented :D

Skragna
Champion

#59 Post by Skragna » Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:59 pm

Skragna want :) And this too!

Also, armor/ a barb for his tail would be cool too.

isengoo
Champion

#60 Post by isengoo » Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:12 pm

maximilian_field_armor.jpg

Skragna want :) And this too!

axe.jpg

Also, armor/ a barb for his tail would be cool too.
Nothing stopping you from ordering some from Xuchal 8)