question about taking a safe position

If it's no bug or an idea, but it's still MUD-related, it goes here.

Moderator: Wizards

Arwenth
Master

question about taking a safe position

#1 Post by Arwenth » Sat Mar 27, 2010 8:36 am

I was just wondering why is it if you shoot at an NPC from a distance they can take a safe position but PC characters can't?

Also I've heard mixed things in game, is it possible to stun with an arrow?
“He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetrate it. He who accepts evil without protesting against it is really cooperating with it.”

lanyara
Overlord

Re: question about taking a safe position

#2 Post by lanyara » Sat Mar 27, 2010 9:11 am

The (1) I think was because otherwise you could kill NPCs or monsters too easily by just repeatedly shooting at them from the distance without any risk.
Best race: halflings.

luminier
Overlord

#3 Post by luminier » Sat Mar 27, 2010 9:16 am

Uh well basically this was changed fairly recently (few months). Players used to be able to "take a safe position" but then it was changed to make archery more viable to the solo person in pvp (as well as players request actually I think, if you don't like it blame Hsparks, I think he had something to do with it). Otherwise the only use for missile in pvp really is one shot from a room away, and one shot from entering the room (then you are in combat) or in teams when you have someone catching swords with their chest while you sit back a load the thing.

But yes, Lanyara is right. Luminier the lone archer could snipe down a whole city if the NPC's didn't take a safe position, and well, thats just no fun.
The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world.

Arwenth
Master

#4 Post by Arwenth » Sat Mar 27, 2010 10:15 am

That makes sense. I was just wondering why it was set up like that.
“He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetrate it. He who accepts evil without protesting against it is really cooperating with it.”