Pretty Pissed Off

If it's no bug or an idea, but it's still MUD-related, it goes here.

Moderator: Wizards

Staltos
Professional

Pretty Pissed Off

#1 Post by Staltos » Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:40 am

I was about to start playing again, so I logged on, and before I could even figure out the syntax to get my bearings, I was attacked, in the middle of Elvendar by someone ridiculously strong. How many new people have been scared off by stuff like this, and how many players have been lost because of actions like this. I know that there's dangers and such that one needs to look out for, but this just seems kinda ridiculous to me that new people don't even have a chance to get up and run away in what should be a pretty safe zone for newbies.
"I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers."

-The Hospitaller, Kingdom of Heaven

Torel
Apprentice

Re: Pretty Pissed Off

#2 Post by Torel » Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:06 am

I seem to have been a lucky newbie, as I haven't experienced this annoyance, but I've heard of several other examples, so I was wondering if one could get a sort of newbie-pass, which gives others a small note when they look on a newbie, telling them that this is in fact one who's new to the game, this would also help in other ways eg.:

Some experienced players don't realize that a newbie might be slow on the actions, which means that sometimes one misses a lot of things, due to confusion. I've tried a couple of times to be lost while guided to some place, or I don't respond fast enough, as people don't wait for a newbies slow actions.

I vote yes for a newbie-pass :)
Tyrell the Powerseeker

dragan
Journeyman

#3 Post by dragan » Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:25 am

Maybe you should add if you were attacked inside the city or maybe by the guards or what exactly happened. What is your legal status in Elvandar. All that is important information. :)

isengoo
Champion

#4 Post by isengoo » Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:34 pm

Ah, you were probably killed by one of the darkelf raiders. I'm sorry for that. They are pretty rare and to log in to one right as it's happening is really crappy. Don't give up because of that, though!

Staltos
Professional

#5 Post by Staltos » Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:21 pm

I was playing as my human Asral following character. I don't even know why I was there in Elvendar since I tend to log off in Arborea. Nonetheless, I was legal in the city as far as I know, and it was a dark elf that killed me.
"I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers."

-The Hospitaller, Kingdom of Heaven

Andreati
Master

#6 Post by Andreati » Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:55 pm

If it was a darkelf that killed you, it was a darkelf raid. Think insect attack, but with darkelf. They pretty much attack anyone they see, so it's not like you were specifically targeted--you just happened to have the "wrong time, wrong place" syndrome, and end up in Elvandar during the attack. There's really not much anybody could do about it.
There are very few personal problems that cannot be solved by a suitable application of high explosives.

luminier
Overlord

#7 Post by luminier » Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:48 am

You can be sure they will receive swift retribution Crusader style. Hope to see you around Staltos. But for future reference, usually no one is forced to fight anyone significantly stronger than them. Running is always a good option.
The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world.

lanyara
Overlord

#8 Post by lanyara » Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:12 am

I can understand that portals can be very frustrating.

Insects don't attack newbies or young characters as far as I know, at least my young character wasn't attacked by them.
No idea whether the darkelf raiders do or not, and if they do then perhaps they shouldn't - or they should attack only after giving a warning, with a further delay before attacking.
Best race: halflings.

luminier
Overlord

#9 Post by luminier » Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:15 am

I don't think Staltos as a Crusader would be considered noobie enough.
The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world.

Sairina
Hero

#10 Post by Sairina » Sun Aug 15, 2010 5:20 am

Staltos may not be a newbie, but it would still be interesting to know if this *could* happen to a newbie. And I agree that it shouldn't, it might scare them away pretty fast.

@Torel:
You said you heard of several examples of newbies being attacked - did you mean by players, or darkelves/insects?