Backswing vs. Spin

If it's no bug or an idea, but it's still MUD-related, it goes here.

Moderator: Wizards

matusalem
Master

Backswing vs. Spin

#1 Post by matusalem » Tue Aug 24, 2010 5:22 pm

I am curious, and I ask this of those players that have experimented more with the various combat selections than I have: Why would one choose to "backswing" rather than "spin." Let me explain why I ask. They both require a two-handed weapon and hit multiple opponents; however, "spin" seems to have more advantages. It can hit four, whereas "backswing" can only hit three. Spin can be used with any two-handed weapon, and after a certain level, it can be used with any single-handed weapon to boot. "Backswing" I believe can only be done with staffs and polearms. "Spin" as far as I've seen, can be aimed, while "backswing" hits only the legs. I'm assuming "backswing" has a more reliable rate of knock-down, just as "disarm" has a more reliable rate of... well... disarming... than "slam." Am I correct in this, and is there something more to "backswing" that I'm missing? Just wanted to pick some of you old-timers brains about it. Thanks.

isengoo
Champion

Re: Backswing vs. Spin

#2 Post by isengoo » Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:10 pm

You can use backswing with all plate and it has a good knock down rate.

luminier
Overlord

#3 Post by luminier » Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:16 pm

Spin, also has a chance of crit fail where you fall down.

Whirlwind doesn't though, and neither does backswing.

Backswing can be used with any shafted weapon so the includes spears as well as staves and polearms like you mentioned.
The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world.

dragan
Journeyman

#4 Post by dragan » Wed Aug 25, 2010 5:19 am

I have a char that trained backswing into the 50's, but it did not convince me to keep training it. Spin seems to do better crits, but yes you have the chance to fall down yourself. In general I do not remember to have seen anyone using it in combat, so it is probably a special that is not the first choice.

luminier
Overlord

#5 Post by luminier » Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:05 am

Spin is good for the skill experience, but not much else besides in PvE. In PvP it's largely useless. Alot of other good specials like gore or elbow or headbutt are much more staple.
The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world.

Delia
Overlord

#6 Post by Delia » Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:35 am

You can get good results with spin even if it is chancy as hell in PvP as well. Backed with solid team combat skills you can end up surprising everyone. Personally I kind of liked backswing and had it to around 80 but after discarding spears and such...In PvP backswing had similar problems as spin though.
"To be is to do" - Sokrates
"To do is to be" - Jean-Paul Sartre
"Do be do be do" - Frank Sinatra