Pull

If it's no bug or an idea, but it's still MUD-related, it goes here.

Moderator: Wizards

Phelan
Professional

Pull

#1 Post by Phelan » Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:15 pm

Hi,

I would like to address the issue of being able to pull a player who is lying on the ground out of the room without any problem.

As far as I understand you are on the ground, but not helpless. If I am on the ground and someone tries to pull me out I would offer resistance and try to kick the person in the face.

Even more ridiculous is the fact, that you can do it while the person is in the backrows.

In my humble opinion this should no be possible, at least not without offering any resistance.

poPhelan

Zehren
Overlord

Re: Pull

#2 Post by Zehren » Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:21 pm

I find the fact you instantly stand up if attacked while resting far more silly than the ability to easily pull folk around.
Drayn wrote:Zehren, the Karmassassin!

Abharsair
Site Admin

#3 Post by Abharsair » Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:06 am

From now on "pull" only works on helpless people.
"The beatings will continue until morale improves."

lanyara
Overlord

#4 Post by lanyara » Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:04 pm

Totally agree with PO Phelan, especially due to PvP reasons (airstrike->pull away combo, tackle->pull away etc. etc..). Good change!
I find the fact you instantly stand up if attacked while resting far more silly than the ability to easily pull folk around.
This one is also silly and should be changed. It circumvents normal combat procedure: if you are fighting, and fall down, you normally stand up only slowly with a delay. In PvP, this one is not so important though but the pull away code easily bypasses undeads in the room who protect the Satho, for instance.
Best race: halflings.

Abharsair
Site Admin

#5 Post by Abharsair » Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:19 pm

lanyara wrote:
This one is also silly and should be changed.
I somewhat disagree. If we assume that starting a normal attack isn't a sneak attack and it actually takes some time to approach someone, then it makes sense that people can stand up and prepare for the attack. The other option would be that we consider all attacks a "surprise" and make the first hit always a critical. Yay.

Therefore I think the way we handle standing up while initiating combat is just fine. An exception could be made for attacks which are started while being hidden and can't be seen coming, like for example backstab. Yeah, I guess we can do that.
"The beatings will continue until morale improves."

Zehren
Overlord

#6 Post by Zehren » Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:25 pm

Abharsair wrote:An exception could be made for attacks which are started while being hidden and can't be seen coming, like for example backstab. Yeah, I guess we can do that.
*likes this* :D

luminier
Overlord

#7 Post by luminier » Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:32 pm

I agree. That would be a good change. Also just another bonus to attacking from the shadows.
The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world.

luminier
Overlord

#8 Post by luminier » Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:23 pm

Phelan wrote:Hi,

I would like to address the issue of being able to pull a player who is lying on the ground out of the room without any problem.

As far as I understand you are on the ground, but not helpless. If I am on the ground and someone tries to pull me out I would offer resistance and try to kick the person in the face.

Even more ridiculous is the fact, that you can do it while the person is in the backrows.

In my humble opinion this should no be possible, at least not without offering any resistance.

poPhelan
Looking back at this topic, I do agree with Phelan. If two people are fighting, perhaps it is pretty stupid that one person (standing) can pull another (on the ground) while they are fighting.

What about other circumstances like... this. Lets say a myself and a cleric are fighting two trolls. Suddenly, I fall I I start to get hit a lot. Obviously I can't get up right away (lets say I was in platemail) so I yell "Cleric! Pull me to safety!" And the Cleric then proceeds to pull me to safety.

As far as I know this is impossible with the change Abharsair made. I could be wrong. However I think if the people are not actively fighting each other pulling while on the ground should be made possible...
The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world.

Zehren
Overlord

#9 Post by Zehren » Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:02 pm

@Luminier

I agree the following would be more logical:
If team:
Allowed.
If neutral:
Prompt?
If enemies:
NO I KICK YOUR FACE *CACKLE*

I find these possibilities logical, of course the only fully applicable system would be an always-prompt (blabla, pull you, yes, no?).

lanyara
Overlord

#10 Post by lanyara » Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:43 pm

And the Cleric then proceeds to pull me to safety.
As far as I know this is impossible with the change Abharsair made. I could be wrong. However I think if the people are not actively fighting each other pulling while on the ground should be made possible.
For non-fighting situations I agree.

There should be a way for characters to give consent.
fully applicable system would be an always-prompt (blabla, pull you, yes, no?).
I don't really like the prompts that much. I'd rather have a way to have this via an option. Then my character could always be pulled away if I'd decide to (in non-combat at least). Or, as an alternative, to maintain a list of other characters who my character gives consent to be pulled away without 'resisting' them.

But then again ... a strong tshahark fighting a small halfling should be able to pull that halfling away even while fighting. So we'd be at where we have been before ... at least the current solution has one big advantage.

It is very simple. :D
Best race: halflings.