Fairy tales and common stories?

If it's no bug or an idea, but it's still MUD-related, it goes here.

Moderator: Wizards

Arwenth
Master

Fairy tales and common stories?

#1 Post by Arwenth » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:44 pm

I looked on the wiki but maybe I missed it, but I've not come across anything in IG to suggest fairy tales and common stories of the various culture. Has that been defined? Like children's tales and that type of thing?
“He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetrate it. He who accepts evil without protesting against it is really cooperating with it.”

per
Master

Re: Fairy tales and common stories?

#2 Post by per » Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:19 pm

I am hoping to incorporate something in this vein into some new content.

Malleus
Experienced

#3 Post by Malleus » Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:39 pm

This is a short film of Biorn. The short film will explain his story. You could translate it into the life of a crusader, with a funny ending.

http://thetripatorium.com/videos/detail ... a_of_biorn

lanyara
Overlord

#4 Post by lanyara » Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:11 am

One of the funniest storytale was a certain scribe talking about a modified tale of the big bad wolf .... :)

It would be nice if halflings could have some fairy tales with actual IC backgrounds to them. As in, lore background that is both fitting for halflings and fairy tales.

Another good idea would be something like Magnus tomb - lore that details and expands on the background of the game HISTORY.

Just my 2 cc.
Best race: halflings.

Urik
Experienced

#5 Post by Urik » Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:56 am

what all ya youngin's need ter beh doin is listenin' ter da old folks.

Today i was telling a story that happened to urik and i thought it was pretty good...i think telling stories is lots of fun and hearing them is cool too. (i lagged out of my story halfway through. almost died, so wanted to finish it)

as for IC lore, i think you could look online for a really cool background already written for halflings, or faeries or what not.

but i mean, comon, who is a better story teller than urik? (i always have the best stories)
I went into a McDonald's yesterday and said, 'I'd like some fries.' The girl at the counter said, 'Would you like some fries with that?'

isengoo
Champion

#6 Post by isengoo » Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:17 pm

There's nothing stopping you from making your own fairy tales :)

I think your point was more of a universal knowledge, something everyone can relate to which sort of binds them together. In my experience this very rarely happens.

Amaleth
Journeyman

#7 Post by Amaleth » Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:48 pm

The problem with making your own Fairy Tales, at least on a mud, is that most times you don't have a primer of "People believe this and you would know that growing up" which I think was her original point.

A primer, set down by the Wiz Team, for "Things every elf child knows by adulthood" and ect for everyone else would be a bit dry, though VERY important imho for giving character backgrounds some common ground.

A list of "fairy tales" would be a much more entertaining why of putting up the same info.

Cuetlachtli
Veteran

#8 Post by Cuetlachtli » Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:40 am

We do have Skald songs, and that is a good old fashioned way of telling stories. But really, a lot of those songs need to have IG replacements, and some need to be completely deleted, some of them are crazily OOC with their lyrics.

But on the topic of the OP here, and responding to Per's post...I think some kind of unified and accepted lore or fairy tale or those kinds of things would be really great. Kind of like the story we all read about Geas when we started playing. Some background to work with.

Some scribes have written books that do attempt to address this, but really, it's hard to make it common knowledge.

I love this idea.

Devi
Hero

#9 Post by Devi » Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:40 pm

Re: skald songs and ooc

Thought I'd advertise this, although it's a few years old: There's a page on the wiki (SkaldPages) with a song update project. Naga and me and some others (mostly Naga) went through and replaced every "Irish" and ooc line in the songs. If anyone has any ideas about updating, they could be added here.

I'm really glad to see rain changed. That was perhaps the most heinous infraction.

If there are any wizards interested in making the changes from the song update project, that would be super awesome. There are lots of great candidates for replacement songs on the wiki too. (I like the Naarved songs especially - imagine one replacing sailor!)