OOC/IC discussion: Masks and concealed identity

If it's no bug or an idea, but it's still MUD-related, it goes here.

Moderator: Wizards

Urik
Experienced

Re: OOC/IC discussion: Masks and concealed identity

#21 Post by Urik » Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:07 pm

Arwenth wrote:
Urik wrote: Concerning outward appearance, don't all Sathos wear a midnight cloak/hood thing? I feel like that would cover up the whole body....and the only thing you could see would be how tall they are....
I would disagree. I see monks who wear hooded robe/cloak deals every day and we can still tell which ones are fat/thin/pot-bellied etc. If the hood was up it would obscure facial details but that's about it really.
Sathos have a specific item called a 'hooded ornamated cloak.' Personally i have not found in game another cloak like that one. Also, sometimes the code doesn't support stuff. If you meet a hooded figure in real life, you can't always tell who it is... -.-
I went into a McDonald's yesterday and said, 'I'd like some fries.' The girl at the counter said, 'Would you like some fries with that?'

Avisa
Journeyman

#22 Post by Avisa » Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:37 pm

I think the greater concern is with disguises than masks. Since outwardly, they LOOK like different people entirely. It isn't the idea that 'Hey, I don't know this person and they are strong, and the only strong race is that currently plays is blah blah blah, so it must be them'. And even then I don't think it usually even gets to an appraise. The judgment becomes first. The idea of "I've never seen this person before, so they must be a disguise" is flawed.

Masks, I think, is a little bit different. The funny thing with masks is that sometimes when people guess who is behind the mask, despite obvious things such as weapons - they're wrong. People make false reports all the time.

Arwenth
Master

#23 Post by Arwenth » Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:12 pm

Urik wrote:
Arwenth wrote:
Urik wrote: Concerning outward appearance, don't all Sathos wear a midnight cloak/hood thing? I feel like that would cover up the whole body....and the only thing you could see would be how tall they are....
I would disagree. I see monks who wear hooded robe/cloak deals every day and we can still tell which ones are fat/thin/pot-bellied etc. If the hood was up it would obscure facial details but that's about it really.
Sathos have a specific item called a 'hooded ornamented cloak.' Personally i have not found in game another cloak like that one. Also, sometimes the code doesn't support stuff. If you meet a hooded figure in real life, you can't always tell who it is... -.-
You didn't say being able to tell who it was. You said height and weight. x.x The fact that there is something covering their head/face does not change the fact that unless it's purposely made to conceal the body they don't make you unable to distinguish height and weight. Now gender, I would argue they do conceal, however we're talking about clerical robes, not robes designed for subterfuge.

The above is what a hooded Benedictine monk robe looks like followed by a group of Franciscan grey friars, being I interact with benedictine monks in various ways and the one friar that is currently visiting (Although I've been asked to note by Brother Lombardo who I asked about this topic that Franciscans don't always wear gray. He himself wears brown :) ), that would be what I'm most familiar with so naturally the hooded midnight robes of sathonites in my head are drawn from what I know. Perhaps clarification needs to be given on how the robes are designed?
“He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetrate it. He who accepts evil without protesting against it is really cooperating with it.”

Skragna
Champion

#24 Post by Skragna » Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:12 pm

And for those who prefer "fantasy" robes, they probably look like this.

Avisa
Journeyman

#25 Post by Avisa » Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:51 pm

A silken midnight-black hooded robe. It has wide hanging sleeves and is
long enough to cover the whole body down to the ground. ...
...... All in all, the robe has quite a solemn appearance.

From the long description.

isengoo
Champion

#26 Post by isengoo » Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:58 pm

I always imagined Satho robes to be like these.

With the big hoods covering most of the head, the black concealing many body features.

Arwenth
Master

#27 Post by Arwenth » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:14 pm

isengoo wrote:I always imagined Satho robes to be like these.

With the big hoods covering most of the head, the black concealing many body features.
Those look like Dominican Friar habits...That serves no point to the conversation, just tossing out an observatory conversational remark. Although I did have an idea that I am going to post in a new thread.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1691

ETA: Thread link
“He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetrate it. He who accepts evil without protesting against it is really cooperating with it.”

isengoo
Champion

#28 Post by isengoo » Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:37 pm

Arwenth wrote:Those look like Dominican Friar habits...
Actually, it's the monks from Monthy Python and the Holy Grail.

http://youtu.be/yjxSwQz7WC4

Olrane
Champion

#29 Post by Olrane » Sun Jun 05, 2011 2:50 pm

The darkelf ascension is a big deal, and an elf is twisted to the point of no recognition.

A darkelf player may choose to be known immediately, or he may choose to have it be a pivotal character change, and the incognito aspect may be important.

Until someone does something like showing unique equipment etc., it's important to respect the darkelf player's twisted image as an unmet character until he reveals himself. This time it probably isn't a big deal, but it is on-topic and matters to me.

Remember that there are many characters other than PCs you know, and even lookalikes, hell, dead ringers, don't make someone certainly another.

Also. Height and weight are pretty bullshit to go on, ever. Don't do it.

Desiderea
Master

#30 Post by Desiderea » Sun Jun 05, 2011 6:55 pm

Do you think when someone gets changed into a darkelf they should be given the option to change the adjectives describing their character? Cause otherwise it's pretty easy to equate the former elf with the current darkelf.

Olrane
Champion

#31 Post by Olrane » Sun Jun 05, 2011 7:41 pm

I do think that a description change should be an option - the dark gods give the elf a new form with which to carry out their will. I would certainly only approve of it if it was wizard-approved, of course...

Darkelves are very unplayable as it is. Having them be at least a bit more mysterious and frightening could only help.

matusalem
Master

#32 Post by matusalem » Sun Jun 05, 2011 7:43 pm

From what I gather reading the racial description on the website, I don't suspect there is a major physical change to the elf. I've always seen it as more of a spiritual change on the elf which leaves some slight tell-tale signs to the onlooker. That being said, in day to day life, I recognize people more so by their height and build than I do their eye-color, especially at a distance. (I'm nearsighted.) So unless someone is right up on me, their physical build is how I distinguish my coworkers, for instance. I don't see a problem with someone picking out a masked, cloaked, or changed darkelf by their build at all.
You hear a voice speaking in your mind, telling you "So-and-so is a traitor and
an enemy of the Crusade. The punishment for this crime is death. Go and
execute our will!"

lanyara
Overlord

#33 Post by lanyara » Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:22 am

Ok but if they are going to look like they used to be as an elf then disguising as an elf should be possible (and elves -> darkelves too to be consistent. )

I mean, either they look the same, or not. Elf and darkelves seem to be the most closely related as far as the races are concerned. And tracks from darkelves already look like elf tracks.

Weight is a bit odd. Weight never changes in the game ...

Height however is a good indicator. Even if height alone does not help finding out who is who on its own when disguised, it sure enough helps discriminate between very short halflings and very tall halflings (to give an example. Of course halflings only borrow). This information is perfectly legit and usable IC.
Best race: halflings.

ganandorf
Overlord

#34 Post by ganandorf » Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:52 am

I don't think it's really a question, Darkelves look almost exactly like elves.

I definitely agree that darkelves should be able to disguise themselves as elves. That would be awesome.
Meow

adanath
Champion

#35 Post by adanath » Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:02 pm

I have a very few things to add.

Its kind of hard not to guess who it is when all relevant IC information given to you points to that. For example, asking around all the time murderers, offenders, towers seeing people with and without masks. There may be hundreds of each guild out there, but noone plays like there is. Just like Ganon said, if there were then logically I would never not fight a group of 4 Sathos. There's a bunch more crusaders around. I always more imagined the PC's are more like the heros of the era, and sure there are a lot of people goblinoids on missions, different sathonites and crusaders etc, we have guards everywhere with purposes, but only a few people who are the teams or individuals sent out. The cities are bustling, but there aren't darkelves around every corner. There are darkelves in the plains, but they are very clannish and particular in appearance. If I know Ketta has been running missions over the past couple weeks killing holy creatures, etc, and I see a masked one, I think it is a perfectly logical assumption to say that might be Ketta, and I might be wrong, but then I never play with who on, and Adanath knows most heros of the Sathonites and the Crusaders, Old and new, but just like he knows that many Crusaders go on long trips and slumbers, and adventures out into the world, so does he know the same happens with Sathos. I suppose I could start thinking oh wonder who that darkelf is, its probably not the only one thats been reported by every person I have asked lately, it must be someone else, that the guards never report, and noone ever sees and I never get informed about.

Ok, well the other thing is, I am learning disguise and disguising as a halfling, then sneaking into Asador and killing everyone.

Good day.

luminier
Overlord

#36 Post by luminier » Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:59 pm

Adanath dons a thief disguise!
Adanath walks down to the gates of Asador.
One guard yells "Oh look it's Gen! Open the gates!"
The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world.