Fighting Arts Competition

If it's no bug or an idea, but it's still MUD-related, it goes here.

Moderator: Wizards

How many rooms should combatants be allowed to move in?

33%
8%
25%
No votes
No votes
33%

Total votes: 12

Selaina
Professional

Fighting Arts Competition

#1 Post by Selaina » Wed May 11, 2011 1:00 am

Hi all! Seeing as I've spent about 3 hours sitting here loading tubes onto this machine.... I would like to see how many people have interest in a fighting competition!

The first prize for the winner will be 100 gold and the runner ups will recieve 50 and 20 respectively.

It will a competition where people spar until someone in unconcious and matches will be chosen randomly (excel sheets and =random ftw).

I also need people to help me think of the rules, for example, how many rooms do you think people should be allowed to spar over? To what extent should miracles be allowed to be used? (Considering clerics only get miracles while say monks get a billion skills they can use in fighting from being in ther guild) Should arrows be allowed? Should custom weapons be allowed or should everyone be made to use the same generic weapons? Should sneaking be allowed?

So far these are what I've come up with:
Artefact weapons such as the nightblade, wrathbringer and the dragonspear will not be permitted.
The drawing of blood will result in disqualification.
The accidental slaying of someone will result in disqualification and other consequences.
Cruelty has a human heart,
And Jealousy a human face;
Terror the human form divine,
And Secrecy the human dress.

Zehren
Overlord

Re: Fighting Arts Competition

#2 Post by Zehren » Wed May 11, 2011 5:14 am

Everything allowed *.*
Using only emotes, of course *.*
Drayn wrote:Zehren, the Karmassassin!

Skragna
Champion

#3 Post by Skragna » Wed May 11, 2011 1:00 pm

All miracles but iceskin and hellfire. Iceskin is far too damaging to allow into a "tournament" and hellfire sets you on fire... which kinda nukes your gear. Other than that, I'd say one room, locked down, and the first to go unconscious loses. I agree that artifacts aren't allowed, I'd also go as far as to say disallow magically created weapons, like Asral's fauchard of fire and Taniel's lightsaber. As for shao-lin restrictions, I'd say just don't let them use neckbreaker or armordrum, because I don't know if those can kill accidentally in a spar. (BTW, I bet Skragna does not win)

Zehren
Overlord

#4 Post by Zehren » Wed May 11, 2011 3:52 pm

Skragna wrote:All miracles but iceskin and hellfire. Iceskin is far too damaging to allow into a "tournament" and hellfire sets you on fire... which kinda nukes your gear. Other than that, I'd say one room, locked down, and the first to go unconscious loses. I agree that artifacts aren't allowed, I'd also go as far as to say disallow magically created weapons, like Asral's fauchard of fire and Taniel's lightsaber. As for shao-lin restrictions, I'd say just don't let them use neckbreaker or armordrum, because I don't know if those can kill accidentally in a spar. (BTW, I bet Skragna does not win)
Seriously, no miracles.
"Greetings, Taniel. I am using of your holy might for a small tournament so I can win some cash."
"'Ello Asral. Please set my enemies on fire. That'll bring me so much glory in an arranged match against people without a deity on their side."

Rudolpho
Professional

#5 Post by Rudolpho » Wed May 11, 2011 4:14 pm

If it is truly a "combat" competition, rather than a "melee" competition, you really need several rooms. Some people use stealth. Some people use archery. This negates their abilities when they cannot maneuver about. Honestly, I'd rather see a 3X3 grid of nine rooms.

Mogwai
Veteran

#6 Post by Mogwai » Wed May 11, 2011 4:15 pm

The only miracles that should be allowed are maybe blood or bless(probably not all the way)...maybe harden...but in the case of a few clergy with mithril armor really need more defensive edge?

A suggestion:
Perhaps some of these should be allowed after the first swings occur, if you want to buff yourself this way it will cost you time and attacks as shao specials cost fatigue and stamina.

Other miracles should not be allowed b/c they either heal or are very accurate. Since bleed/crit damage is gone anyways.

all combat specials should be allowed. Its more fun to watch anyways.

Should these skills be allowed that also buff?
Concentrate?
focus chi?
Singing?

Mogwai
Veteran

#7 Post by Mogwai » Wed May 11, 2011 4:22 pm

Rudolpho wrote:If it is truly a "combat" competition, rather than a "melee" competition, you really need several rooms. Some people use stealth. Some people use archery. This negates their abilities when they cannot maneuver about. Honestly, I'd rather see a 3X3 grid of nine rooms.
I think stealth already has a big edge of not having bloody tracks everywhere. Besides if the grid is so big one could just climb trees and rest up while the opponent looks around. A 3X3 grid is really unfair especially if there is forest area + no bleeding. Its simply extremely difficult to punish an opponent w/out bleeding if they can hide and retreat the whole time whereas with the standard combat, there is reasonable consequence even if you jump out of the shadows.

Malleus
Experienced

#8 Post by Malleus » Wed May 11, 2011 5:39 pm

So I chose three rooms. This is so each person can have a room to prep in and other people can't what their opponent is doing. Then, when an opponent is ready, they walk into 'the arena.' Of course there should be a set amount of time where the combatant would be disqualified if they took to long. This also allows people to sneak in. Once the battle starts, both exits are blocked or closed. This is more of an arena style like oblivion elder scrolls if any of you have played it.

As for miracles, I say you can have prep miracles only before the fight and not during. Then during the match only attack miracles can be used. Healing miracles are highly unfair in a sparring match. Also, no setting people on fire.

And for custom weapons my two sense is: if you have a custom weapon, you are an advanced player and will already be able to kill someone who uses a standard gleaming longsword or w.e.

And finally I say there should be betting allowed. People should be able to bet weapons or gold on other players....

dragan
Journeyman

#9 Post by dragan » Wed May 11, 2011 5:53 pm

Rudolpho wrote:Some people use archery.
That would not be wise. There is no sparring with missiles. They can kill you with a critical - even in stun and sparring on.

Zehren
Overlord

#10 Post by Zehren » Wed May 11, 2011 6:39 pm

Does no one else think bothering the deities for a mundane tournament seems weird? O.o

ganandorf
Overlord

#11 Post by ganandorf » Wed May 11, 2011 7:28 pm

I'm with Zehren on this one. It doesnt seem like proper roleplay, asking your god for combat miracles "for fun".

Also 9 by 9 would be very fun. Everyone would actually have a fair chance instead of having the person with the biggest weapon strength and constitution win.
Meow

Saki
Beginner

#12 Post by Saki » Wed May 11, 2011 7:29 pm

Bothering us how? :)

And I've been thinking about this vaguely myself.

ganandorf
Overlord

#13 Post by ganandorf » Wed May 11, 2011 7:31 pm

Saki I think zehren was referring to IG gods not the wizards. I think.
Meow

Selaina
Professional

#14 Post by Selaina » Wed May 11, 2011 8:26 pm

Well the more miracles we use, the more favour we use, the more favour we regain the greater the god's earthly power is. So if gods wanted us to SAVE our miracles for when we really need them, then it would be a opposite system that lowered the earthly power the more we used the miracles since our god will be weaker for it. But since it's not, I would think our gods would want us to use as many miracles as we can since it improves their hold upon the world.

Secondly, a competition with lots of spectators would be the prime location to advertise a god's power. Look! I follow Taniel and I can use all these brilliant miracles! Don't you wish you could to? Well you can if you become a cleric! I don't see why a god would be against showing off his power to attract more followers.

Also since this is rather offtopic.. If you wish to discuss this please open another thread about it! I approve of things like stealthing etc which is why I thought it should be 2 roomed...however.... would having one starting shot be permitted if it was aimed for the foot?
Cruelty has a human heart,
And Jealousy a human face;
Terror the human form divine,
And Secrecy the human dress.

Mogwai
Veteran

#15 Post by Mogwai » Wed May 11, 2011 9:19 pm

It seems reasonable that if a character has impressive hide and sneak abilities that they should get that one sneak attack

Kian
Apprentice

#16 Post by Kian » Wed May 11, 2011 10:48 pm

Miracles are designed to be used in fights where bleeding is present, if you aren't bleeding then there shouldn't be miracles, otherwise it'll just be a bunch of clerics at the end spamming miracles on eachother.
This is war; survival is your responsibility...

ganandorf
Overlord

#17 Post by ganandorf » Wed May 11, 2011 11:08 pm

If a god wanted to show of their power theyd let you use the miracles, wonderful display yeah, but theyd cause no damage.

Why would a god grant you a miracle if you were just going to use it to hurt another taniel follower? Or an asralite or someone you or your god has no real problem with it?

Though you can make excuses as to why you should be able to use miracles, you could probably roleplay it pretty well too, I just think it would be dumb.
Meow

Olrane
Champion

#18 Post by Olrane » Wed May 11, 2011 11:26 pm

This would be fun, but I think it'd be a bit awkward to set up ICly.

What we need is one of those days where the mud crashes and we're goofing off on a mirror where nothing counts. I remember one time all the goodies helped Jezz et. al. storm Elvandar. It was a riot to be out of character for a day.

If such a thing would go on (OOCly, that is), I'd bring out Olrane to see how he'd do in the melee...though he's probably not as good an assassin as others, he was decent. Only trouble is that he's probably got a million deaths to recover from.

Skragna
Champion

#19 Post by Skragna » Wed May 11, 2011 11:29 pm

If the mud crashes and I get to experience this sort of thing.... Skragna's gonna go CRAZEE. Murder the whole Dragonguard.... Butcher and skin Kelric.... Better yet... why don't we just get the whole MUD into a giant team and massacre every NPC in the game?!

Olrane
Champion

#20 Post by Olrane » Wed May 11, 2011 11:30 pm

That's pretty much what happened, Skragna. It was ridiculous.