Fighting Arts Competition

If it's no bug or an idea, but it's still MUD-related, it goes here.

Moderator: Wizards

How many rooms should combatants be allowed to move in?

33%
8%
25%
No votes
No votes
33%

Total votes: 12

Skragna
Champion

Re: Fighting Arts Competition

#21 Post by Skragna » Wed May 11, 2011 11:33 pm

It sounds like fun. Then we can get a bunch of Asrals to chain-prepare berserks and set up one-on-one fights to the bloody bitter end. Or end up with a giant bloody orgy of axes, swords, spears, and polearms.

Blizt
Hero

#22 Post by Blizt » Wed May 11, 2011 11:40 pm

Sounds fun. I better start recovering.....

Selaina
Professional

#23 Post by Selaina » Thu May 12, 2011 3:22 am

I don't think it would be that hard to arrange ICly however.... do people think I should have it set like.... Everything done in like 2 hours on a weekend. Or simply assign matches and have people report back to me the winners? Also do people find this a better idea or a talent competition where people 'perform' (rpwise, like a shaolin fighting ritual, or a juggling show, or a comedy show, or a song, or a story etc) And get voted for top?
Cruelty has a human heart,
And Jealousy a human face;
Terror the human form divine,
And Secrecy the human dress.

Zehren
Overlord

#24 Post by Zehren » Thu May 12, 2011 3:26 am

Selaina wrote:I don't think it would be that hard to arrange ICly however.... do people think I should have it set like.... Everything done in like 2 hours on a weekend. Or simply assign matches and have people report back to me the winners? Also do people find this a better idea or a talent competition where people 'perform' (rpwise, like a shaolin fighting ritual, or a juggling show, or a comedy show, or a song, or a story etc) And get voted for top?
PERFORMING <3<3
Drayn wrote:Zehren, the Karmassassin!

Delmon
Champion

#25 Post by Delmon » Thu May 12, 2011 1:50 pm

All characters allowed right? 8)

Zehren
Overlord

#26 Post by Zehren » Thu May 12, 2011 1:58 pm

Delmon wrote:All characters allowed right? 8)
We all know no one wants to face Zehren and his whips...

Devi
Hero

#27 Post by Devi » Thu May 12, 2011 2:09 pm

There should be a halfling division...

Skeltim
Apprentice

#28 Post by Skeltim » Thu May 12, 2011 3:38 pm

Devi wrote:There should be a halfling division...
Halflings can kill both ogres, trolls and defeat some tshaharks in spars. :shock:

ganandorf
Overlord

#29 Post by ganandorf » Thu May 12, 2011 5:22 pm

You could actually split it into two divisions. One could be for mostly medium/heavy armoured people, the second for light armoured people. And people could pick and choose which one they want to join.

Obviously the medium/heavy division would have less rooms (2-3), and the light armoured division more rooms for sneaking around, archery, and all that (as big as possible).
Meow

Delia
Overlord

#30 Post by Delia » Thu May 12, 2011 9:36 pm

That would not be wise. There is no sparring with missiles. They can kill you with a critical - even in stun and sparring on.
Obviously the medium/heavy division would have less rooms (2-3), and the light armoured division more rooms for sneaking around, archery, and all that (as big as possible).
How can you go all "stunmode" with an arrow or a bolt? Hey, come on! I am so with the first quote. I would rather see two seperate arenas. One with the "good guys" with all them honourable rules and all and the other pit with no holds barred. True gladiators and all that with all the whateverness that goes along with it.

It is really hard to visualize a ranger, for example, starting his/her match by deftly placing a deathly missile through his/her opponents throat during a tournament and all the spectators go:"but the code says this is in STUNMODE, it cannot be. No dying." Blahness, I say.

IF there is any bleeding present it should be to the possibilty of death and handled accordingly. Sure it is quite crude but code dictates certain realities. I for one have longed NOT to see a friendly spar start with a shot from a crossbow or a gore special(or whatever FLESH PENETRATING attack). I mean, yes, all the friendly everyday training matches are done with the attempt to remove your partners inside bits, yes?

And yes, I know it is not this easily simplified, but...?
"To be is to do" - Sokrates
"To do is to be" - Jean-Paul Sartre
"Do be do be do" - Frank Sinatra

Zehren
Overlord

#31 Post by Zehren » Thu May 12, 2011 10:10 pm

Delia wrote:
And yes, I know it is not this easily simplified, but...?
But, what if I, like, tie clothes around my arrowtip? ^^

Rudolpho
Professional

#32 Post by Rudolpho » Thu May 12, 2011 10:29 pm

I've played a level 100 missile user for years and I've stunned with arrows.

Skragna
Champion

#33 Post by Skragna » Thu May 12, 2011 11:35 pm

I've seen stunmode missiles kill and stun... they seem to be a touch buggy. I'm all for a blood'n'gore arena as well. Skragna may just compete in that one, too! Also, I agree with the post saying goring is ridiculous in sparring. Inherent to gore's description IG is them TWISTING THEIR WEAPON INSIDE YOUR WOUND. This, clearly, should cause bleeding. Other specials, like cleave, do not state you tear open your opponent. Not even leap-attack does. Gore shouldn't be stunning capable... unless the description is changed, but if that's going to happen, I'd recommend revamping every weapon in the game with two values, stun damage and killing damage. Certain weapons would function almost as well trying to just knock someone out as trying to kill them, clubs, hammers... Others would be slightly less effective, due to using only a specific part of the weapon (flat of an axe, non-bladed part of a spear) Swords would be very difficult to stun with, seeing as how they're all blade.

glasp
Professional

#34 Post by glasp » Fri May 13, 2011 2:45 am

I would just like to remind everyone that this is a roleplaying game. The idea of gathering everyone to spar seems inherently out of character, but it could of course be doable. So please make sure that this is in line with your character drives, background, emotions and that it fits with the cultural and environmental pressures/expectations that are set on him/her. Please do not make up an "IC excuse" just to have some fun that does not actually fit in the game. The actions of your character should be motivated by who he or she is supposed to be.

With this said, it is of course not impossible to set up something like this. I can imagine that maybe some small group of Asral followers would participate in some sort of fighting competition just for the "glory". It would of course require that there is someone who actually has a good reason in the first place to organize this and get approval by the local authorities.

Selaina
Professional

#35 Post by Selaina » Fri May 13, 2011 8:23 am

Does it really seem out of character? In periods of peace etc, alot of places in medieval times had knight lancing competitions or fighting competitions to select the strongest champions in the realm while at the same time the practice help keep people's fighting skills sharp... Since we're going through a similar period of peace on geas... I don't see why that is unreasonable o.O
Cruelty has a human heart,
And Jealousy a human face;
Terror the human form divine,
And Secrecy the human dress.

Zehren
Overlord

#36 Post by Zehren » Fri May 13, 2011 11:36 am

Selaina wrote:Does it really seem out of character? In periods of peace etc, alot of places in medieval times had knight lancing competitions or fighting competitions to select the strongest champions in the realm while at the same time the practice help keep people's fighting skills sharp... Since we're going through a similar period of peace on geas... I don't see why that is unreasonable o.O
As far as I understood, Glasp just wanted to remind everyone to have IC reasons for participating/organising such a tournament.

Also, those knights were often nobles unless I am mistaken.

Only one of my current characters would be open for participating in a tournament, and he's a weak little pushover. :le shrug:

IMHO, if Selaina wants to see a tournament take place, she should raise that question IG :3

Mogwai
Veteran

#37 Post by Mogwai » Mon May 23, 2011 1:40 pm

Theres lots of logical reasons for a fighting competition I'd think. For example the judge of elvandar might host the tournament to look for ideal recruit warriors to beat back the lilith menace.

lanyara
Overlord

#38 Post by lanyara » Mon May 23, 2011 7:57 pm

PO Selaina deserves credit for taking the initiative.
Best race: halflings.

fernao
Champion

#39 Post by fernao » Tue May 24, 2011 8:37 am

Just as a reminder... not only heaven's fire can set gear on fire, firebolt can do that just as well.

Just ask your friendly neighbourhood orc shaman for a demonstration. I am sure they'll provide it free of charge. :twisted:
Life is but a butterflies dream

luminier
Overlord

#40 Post by luminier » Tue May 24, 2011 10:29 am

fernao wrote:Just as a reminder... not only heaven's fire can set gear on fire, firebolt can do that just as well.

Just ask your friendly neighbourhood orc shaman for a demonstration. I am sure they'll provide it free of charge. :twisted:
Firebolts chance of bonus success is much less reliable, sets less items on fire when successful and is significantly weaker overall as a miracle.

Sure, firebolt all you want - seems like wasted time, mana, favour and it leaves your defenses down while casting for a generally poor outcome.

I think the reasons above is why it was overlooked. At high level PvP it is simply too weak.
The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world.