Flails

If it's no bug or an idea, but it's still MUD-related, it goes here.

Moderator: Wizards

Nerin

Flails

#1 Post by Nerin » Sun Aug 07, 2011 2:28 pm

Are there flail's in the game? For blunt weapons I've seen clubs, staves and I think a hammer, but I've never scene ball and chain style weapons like flail or a chained morning star. If not maybe I should pitch them as an idea because those style of weapons can be quite useful for disarming and bashing armour.

ganandorf
Overlord

Re: Flails

#2 Post by ganandorf » Sun Aug 07, 2011 2:36 pm

Go to arborea. Theres one there called a morning-star.

Theres only one type you can get that is non-guild, but some guilds have special morning-stars.
Meow

luminier
Overlord

#3 Post by luminier » Sun Aug 07, 2011 2:36 pm

flails are in the same class as morning-stars. although I always thought a flail was a spiked ball at the end of a chain attached to a wooden or metal stick. and a morning-star was just a spiked ball at the end of a wooden or metal stick.

Crusaders have a weapon called a "heavy morning-star" and it's got the exact description as a flail and it's called a morning-star. it trains the chain weapon skill.
The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world.

Zehren
Overlord

#4 Post by Zehren » Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:40 am

I have seen both the club and chain versions referred to, simply, as morning-stars.
Drayn wrote:Zehren, the Karmassassin!

ramandu
Professional

#5 Post by ramandu » Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:30 pm

I am surprised the Crusade has not adopted the holy sprinkler as a torture device . . . One part mace, one part molten lead delevery system.

But I agree, the term morningstar can refer to any number of spiked balls atop a handle, but in Geas, the form where the ball is attached by a chain appears standard.

For me, I have always been partial to the ball and chain a la Kill Bill. That mother does some damage.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong.

luminier
Overlord

#6 Post by luminier » Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:53 pm

i would always take a versatile weapon over a weapon that "does alot of damage" under the correct circumstances. (or you could do what Luminier did and just carry a weapon for every battle condition.)

a ball on the end of a chain is only really effective if you can swing it around. a spiked ball on the end of a steel/wooden shaft already has potential to do alot of damage and you don't need to put effort in getting it spinning or hoping you have enough room to do so.

ramandu
Professional

#7 Post by ramandu » Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:19 pm

luminier wrote:i would always take a versatile weapon . . . a ball on the end of a chain is only really effective if you can swing it around. a spiked ball on the end of a steel/wooden shaft already has potential to do alot of damage and you don't need to put effort in getting it spinning or hoping you have enough room to do so.
I agree 100% but it appears my writing skills failed to convey the sarcasm. There is a reason why Gogo, cool looking weapon in hand, gets taken out by a broken table leg with nails in it.

Historically, as well as within Geas, the simplest weapons in skilled hands are often much more deadly than the "cool ones" wielded by the easily awed.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong.

Zehren
Overlord

#8 Post by Zehren » Thu Aug 11, 2011 4:12 am

Historically, as well as within Geas, the simplest weapons in skilled hands are often much more deadly than the "cool ones" wielded by the easily awed.

The GAWD SO HUGE ugly neuter (crastrated) uber giant tells you, the tiny halfling in Dark Speech: Gonna crush you!
The GAWD SO HUGE ugly neuter (crastrated) uber giant smashes its GIANT SPIKED CLUB at you, but you, the tiny halfling with two daggers (all halflings are thieves and use two daggers), parry the blow.
You immediately launch a counter attack!

Test of simple weapons. Daggers are simple. Clubs are simple. Everything else is elaborate, 'cept whips, of course.
Drayn wrote:Zehren, the Karmassassin!

luminier
Overlord

#9 Post by luminier » Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:57 pm

haha a halfling parrying a giant... that should not be possible.