Towers

If it's no bug or an idea, but it's still MUD-related, it goes here.

Moderator: Wizards

Valentine
Beginner

Towers

#1 Post by Valentine » Thu Aug 11, 2011 5:40 pm

There has recently been new towers put up near Elvandar gate. I am currently sleeping in Elvandar.. and there /is/ no way for me to get out with the three towers right there in a row. I think its over-kill, and I have a major problem with it. Anyone inside the city that's an enemy is guarenteed dead. Its over-kill to me, and I am sure that many will agree. Sure, it may be a safety feature. If you are an enemy, but not hunted, to those its pointless. They might as well just turn evil if they can't get into their home city.

ganandorf
Overlord

Re: Towers

#2 Post by ganandorf » Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:00 pm

If you are an enemy and not hunted you shouldn't be on the enemy list to begin with. If you are on the enemy list you should be hunted.

Try wearing a shield go south at the gate and then east or west, you don't have to pass through 3 only 2.
Meow

Skragna
Champion

#3 Post by Skragna » Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:57 pm

It's overkill. Three towers, more or less in succession, is not to WATCH for enemies, but is clearly designed to KILL them while they try to go about whatever it is they do in Elvandar, and is highly restrictive in their roleplay options. As Valentine said, it almost forces them to become evil.

ganandorf
Overlord

#4 Post by ganandorf » Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:10 pm

Why? You can't charge the crusaders for murder in elvandar?
Meow

luminier
Overlord

#5 Post by luminier » Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:16 pm

While this does seem like a pretty dick move OOCwise, it's completely within the Crusaders right that did this especially if it was roleplayed out IC.

I don't think it necessarily forces enemies who are hunted to become evil, if you are evil you should be hunted and killed by towers regardless. If you are an enemy of the Crusaders due to expulsion, same goes.

I agree that it is clear the towers set up in such a position would be designed to kill those who are not enemies of Elvandar but enemies of the Crusaders. I would say to try and solve the problem IC...

1. Take Ganon's advice, dodge the most possible towers you can.
2. Make a stink in Elvandar court, maybe the judge cares.
3. Wade through the shit and steer clear of Elvandar until you can get things cleared with the Crusaders.

Taking things immediately OOC when you have a problem kind of bothers me to be completely honest.
The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world.

ramandu
Professional

#6 Post by ramandu » Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:21 pm

It seems this issue should be discussed in the city rather than on the boards.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong.

Skragna
Champion

#7 Post by Skragna » Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:38 am

Unfortunately, none can be dodged. At any rate, I rarely leave unless I get reports of deathpriests, so... no real change there.

Eluriel
Master

#8 Post by Eluriel » Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:04 am

Well, it does seem like it was set up that way in order to kill people/prevent them from entering Elvandar, yes. But I don't know if there's any real reason you can say they can't do that. When I had issues with the Crusade, my first instincts were 1: Talk to the person who put me on the enemy list, 2: Take it up in Elvandar's court, and if that failed to work, 3: Destroy the tower. :P

Zehren
Overlord

#9 Post by Zehren » Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:26 am

Eluriel wrote:Well, it does seem like it was set up that way in order to kill people/prevent them from entering Elvandar, yes. But I don't know if there's any real reason you can say they can't do that. When I had issues with the Crusade, my first instincts were 1: Talk to the person who put me on the enemy list, 2: Take it up in Elvandar's court, and if that failed to work, 3: Destroy the tower. :P

TALK. COMPLAIN. DESTROOOOOYYY!
Drayn wrote:Zehren, the Karmassassin!

Valentine
Beginner

#10 Post by Valentine » Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:31 am

Its not so much that big a deal to me anymore. Icly Val has lost the will to live. I was thinking more along the lines of newbies on the enemy list. I've noticed there is a good many of them appearing on the list now, and most of their homes.. is Elvandar. So.. Take away a newbies home, they die alot, they get mad, and confused and quit.. So you see..

Its all about the newbies.. ICly its unfair to them.

luminier
Overlord

#11 Post by luminier » Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:17 am

If they were in the Crusaders, they aren't newbies. If they are enemies of the Crusaders, they aren't newbies.

If you enter a guild you can hardly be considered a newbie anymore.

If you manage to do something bad enough to piss off a guild, I am sure they would take your young-ness into consideration when declaring you an enemy.
The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world.

Zehren
Overlord

#12 Post by Zehren » Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:43 am

luminier wrote:If they are enemies of the Crusaders, they aren't newbies
Valentine wrote: I was thinking more along the lines of newbies on the enemy list. I've noticed there is a good many of them appearing on the list now,
I believe most crimes are taken too harshly upon by the crusade; being made an enemy should be for most grievous stuff, not getting caught stealing (once or twice), or suspicions of being a thief, having been seen in the company of Mr. Evilperson or rumours about doing lalala-the-unspeakable.

Also, being a thief != being a rogue or affiliated with those.

Of course, all those are grounds for confrontation in one form or another, but being put on an enemy list for the slightest thing *drumroll* makes that enemy list rather petty and lacking in effect. "Unless you do *censored* you will be put on the enemy list!" "Oh yeah? Like that <person> who farted in your general direction?" (Farting in general direction is an idiom, unless my ice-cream-craving brain plays tricks upon me.)
luminier wrote:If you enter a guild you can hardly be considered a newbie anymore.
Quoted for truth.

Delmon
Champion

#13 Post by Delmon » Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:48 pm

@Zehren: Each lord marshall is given a bit of freedom to interpret the code and deal with "enemies" or "evils" or whoever in the way he or she sees fit. One may be a little more extremist or not, but because the code kind of directs to acting in the extremist position, the crusaders building towers and declaring enemies quickly and for little to no "good" reasons is at the very least above reproach ooc. Because there is code also telling the crusaders to obey the lord marshall, the lod marshall gains the reigns direction of the guild.

On the topic of the watchtowers it's really laughable. It can all be easily handled IC. Plus, it's not like there's another big city to the south or anything.

Zehren
Overlord

#14 Post by Zehren » Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:44 pm

Delmon wrote:On the topic of the watchtowers it's really laughable. It can all be easily handled IC. Plus, it's not like there's another big city to the south or anything.
I entirely agree; watchtowers are entirely placent how they are at current, and I can just slaughter innocents untill the crusade agrees to my requests if they won't do so at pure logic. *le fluffy rabbit-smile :3*

Valentine
Beginner

#15 Post by Valentine » Sat Aug 13, 2011 1:10 am

Oh dearie.. It seems I posted this.. AFTER the towers are already being taken care of.. xD We all pretty much posted here for /nothing/ at all.