charge

If it's no bug or an idea, but it's still MUD-related, it goes here.

Moderator: Wizards

Skragna
Champion

Re: charge

#21 Post by Skragna » Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:21 pm

I'm with Adanath to a degree. Tshahark could do with mounts of some sort, though I personally lean toward bears rather than boars. Perhaps have them be extremely hard to train, even as a riding mount?

Drayn
Hero

#22 Post by Drayn » Sun Oct 02, 2011 1:25 pm

I'm with Adanath to a degree. Tshahark could do with mounts of some sort, though I personally lean toward bears rather than boars. Perhaps have them be extremely hard to train, even as a riding mount?
With the draw back of it tearing your face off?
"Rupert rears up and tries to bite you"
"Your nose is severed"

I don't think bears would make a terribly practical mount. Just imagine riding it during winter only it enters hibernation and imagine trying to get a stable for it :D

Giant monitor lizards would be cool, but then you'd have the problem of distinguishing who was the mount and who was the rider :D

fernao
Champion

#23 Post by fernao » Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:05 am

I think one of the problems is that there is a (guild?) artefact weapon that serves as weapon for a charge. Together with the unicorn that makes a crusader in possession of that weapon basically unstoppable.

1) Unicorn -> not blockable
2) artefact lance -> undestroyable weapon for charge

-> charge, leave, stop hunting, charge again....

=> permanent charging without chances for the opposite site....
Life is but a butterflies dream

per
Master

#24 Post by per » Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:59 am

That sounds like a concern for the player-arch/staff or report material.

fernao
Champion

#25 Post by fernao » Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:24 am

per wrote:That sounds like a concern for the player-arch/staff or report material.
Will write a report next time I am logged in.

krelji
Hero

#26 Post by krelji » Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:27 am

I do not think that it is a big issue generally. The dragonlance is no guild artifact,
and it shouldn't surprise anyone that blocking warmounts tends to be difficult.
Even tshaharks won't be stupid enough not to step aside if a warmount is running
in their direction.
fernao wrote:-> charge, leave, stop hunting, charge again....
This sounds like charge could need a larger delay.
All knowledge is heresy. Yes, you heard me correctly.
It is the nature of religions to thrive on ignorance.

fernao
Champion

#27 Post by fernao » Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:42 am

krelji wrote:I do not think that it is a big issue generally.
I agree... "generally" is the keyword here though I think.

"Generally" it is not possible for any other combination of guild/equipment that a single player can lay devastation to a city.

With a unicorn and the dragonlance Arborea, Asador and, though totally unlikely but still possible, Elvandar can be raided in such an easy way that all city guards at the gates and those patrolling as well as player created "living" defenses, such as golems, undeads in general or revenants in particular, can be killed and destroyed without too much of a hassle.

And I doubt with the power of the attack-combo of the dragonlance in a charge, which, though I can speak here only of hear-say, is almost always an instant kill, there is much that a longer delay would change. If you don't die instantly, the bleeding will finish you, if that doesn't kill you, healing via potions or miracles will not heal you fast enough to be ready for a second charge, leave alone be ready to throw some attack miracle or missile shot back at the attacker.

luminier
Overlord

#28 Post by luminier » Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:27 am

Dragonlance isn't a charge weapon! Do your homework son!

And as hilarious as that would be - no the Dragonlance does not kill everything in one hit and neither does charge.

In addition, it really is made easier to do certain things based on how powerful your character is. I am certain that a strong Asralite could also solo raid cities, much like a strong Crusader could.

Raiding cities does not come without it's severe hazards.

And sure I can charge the gates of any city over and over, but, I think youll see that I would need quite a few lances (I am exaggerating.. I am talking upwards of 15) and just because I have charged into attack a city doesn't mean I (or my unicorn) am unable to be hit. It is impossible to leave a room immediately after starting combat - even for a warmount.

If we made everything impossible for Luminier to do, I think everyone would have a lot less fun in this game.
The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world.

Delia
Overlord

#29 Post by Delia » Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:12 pm

If we made everything impossible for Luminier to do, I think everyone would have a lot less fun in this game.
Yeah...suggesting balance tweaks when it comes to really experienced characters becomes hazardous quite quickly(which was not the case here). For example, "That Delia character is a real escape artist! Escaping from combat should be harder!" Result?...

The dragonlance really isn't such a big deal. It only takes a regular longsword in the right wrong hands to cut you up real good.

And when it comes to riding lances their number is usually quite limited. Not sure about crusaders though. Also, run away/run back in approach to combat has its obvious drawbacks.
"To be is to do" - Sokrates
"To do is to be" - Jean-Paul Sartre
"Do be do be do" - Frank Sinatra

Skragna
Champion

#30 Post by Skragna » Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:48 pm

To give an example of Delia's advice applied to Skragna, he used to use Crusader armor and their bearded axe to fight undead.

Now he uses Brainseeker and regular platemail, but the effects are very similar.
I still occasionally obliterate the less resilient undead, I still can hack apart the bigger stuff given time, and it's still hard for them to hurt/kill me.