charge

If it's no bug or an idea, but it's still MUD-related, it goes here.

Moderator: Wizards

Phelan
Professional

charge

#1 Post by Phelan » Fri Aug 26, 2011 6:00 am

Is charge supposed to hit people in third row or might it be a bug? Just to know and adjust playing correspondingly.

poPhelan

luminier
Overlord

Re: charge

#2 Post by luminier » Fri Aug 26, 2011 6:24 am

Charge can hit anyone anywhere if I recall correctly. Much like being in the back row doesn't prevent you from getting shot with an arrow, it wouldn't stop a charging animal.
The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world.

Delia
Overlord

#3 Post by Delia » Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:14 am

Hear hear! And executing a successful charge can be a feat in itself what I recall.
"To be is to do" - Sokrates
"To do is to be" - Jean-Paul Sartre
"Do be do be do" - Frank Sinatra

Delmon
Champion

#4 Post by Delmon » Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:13 pm

it wouldn't stop a charging animal.
Maybe it would maybe it wouldn't. Depends on what is in the front row. If it's an ogre revenant, a charging animal isn't getting through. If it's a few soldiers with spears, the horse isn't getting through. If we start talking about what is realistic it will get complicated code-wise.
executing a successful charge can be a feat in itself what I recall.
This is more interesting, because it deals with whether or not it is balanced. If it has a reasonable chance of failing then sure, sounds balanced. After someone is charged, can they cast or attack immediately? Can they dodge the charge? Can they block the charge? Is there a delay between charges?

luminier
Overlord

#5 Post by luminier » Fri Aug 26, 2011 6:19 pm

Charge can only be performed if you are not in combat.

Charge breaks rider lances about 80% of the time and if the lance doesn't break the blow is SIGNIFICANTLY weakened in damage. Not to mention if you hit anything with a rider lance it breaks on contact (this might just be Crusader lances)

Charge can only be performed if both the rider and mount are skilled enough.

Charge can only be performed with a rider lance which you must carry separately which weighs on lighter characters making it a generally exclusively heavy armour class tactic.

Charge can only be performed in certain places in the MUD (anywhere horses or unicorns can go).

Charge from what I've tested extensively (trust me) hits about 10% of the time on a mob like a revenant (im guessing it's because revenants are just crazy high in stat values). On a player it hits quite a bit more often ranging around 40-50%.

It is quite powerful when it hits a vital location like torso, abdomen, head or neck. Less powerful with arms or legs. Little damage with hands or feet.

It knocks down the enemy with a successful hit, but they can easily flickup (if light enough) and escape because you can't block while mounted.

Causes fair bleeding but not nearly as much as it used to. This was balanced because Luminier charged Ganon in the right hand and brought him to deaths door and bleeding heavily. This mightve been Ganon was already many deaths down, but, that is still unbelievably powerful for a hand hit.

All in all, I think it is fairly balanced... what do you think?
The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world.

Urik
Experienced

#6 Post by Urik » Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:00 pm

I think it is fine. It has been around for a while with a bunch of wizzies so its just like the archer thread poservant did.
Also, sense this instance was about me i would like to add that unicorns cannot be blocked from exiting a room, so how could a revenant block me from a person even if they are in the back row. I could see a warhorse being blocked, but a unicorn is a mystical "uncatchable" creature. If you think this is unfair, then why don't you try facing a revenant and two giant ghouls with heavy weapons.
I went into a McDonald's yesterday and said, 'I'd like some fries.' The girl at the counter said, 'Would you like some fries with that?'

Delia
Overlord

#7 Post by Delia » Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:32 pm

so how could a revenant block me from a person even if they are in the back row. I could see a warhorse being blocked, but a unicorn is a mystical "uncatchable" creature.
I've always seen this as a special reserved for those who use the time to invest in it. Sure, it is mighty powerful but it is not mighty overpowering considering all the miracles/magic/etc that is available. Charge still has its strict prerequisites for it to be successful, more so than a bonespear, heaven's fire or whatnot. Unicorn or not.

But in essence...mounts are about mobility over foot warriors, so of course they bypass team formations and trample(something that would be nice to see as well)over to the back row dealing devastation. Simply put, I cannot see how one can effectively block a mounted warrior with simple 'go back row' tactics. Defending with a long pike could be an another matter. Even if a revenant is involved - ogre, giant, whatever. The abomination starts waving its hands and calls for devastation, destruction and death...ermm...ride past it?
"To be is to do" - Sokrates
"To do is to be" - Jean-Paul Sartre
"Do be do be do" - Frank Sinatra

Urik
Experienced

#8 Post by Urik » Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:33 pm

I wish there was a like button for posts...
Delia like
Lumi like
I went into a McDonald's yesterday and said, 'I'd like some fries.' The girl at the counter said, 'Would you like some fries with that?'

Delmon
Champion

#9 Post by Delmon » Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:47 pm

lol urik and the like thing.

You can't run around a revenant if you are "charging" through.

Because there are different weapons and different characters/npcs in the front rows, it may or may not be realistic to charge through first or second rows of troops.

It's a balance issue. If it's balanced its balanced.

Blizt
Hero

#10 Post by Blizt » Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:13 pm

Delmon wrote:lol urik and the like thing.

You can't run around a revenant if you are "charging" through.

Because there are different weapons and different characters/npcs in the front rows, it may or may not be realistic to charge through first or second rows of troops.

It's a balance issue. If it's balanced its balanced.
Good points.

There should be a "trample" damage added to those in the front and second row of the team of the intended target. Maybe the unicorn or mount could stomp on them and break some limbs, or knock their wind out.

Zehren
Overlord

#11 Post by Zehren » Sat Aug 27, 2011 6:19 am

Unicorn comes a-charging!
You poke out your spear! It is super-effective!
Unicorn faints.
Drayn wrote:Zehren, the Karmassassin!

Blizt
Hero

#12 Post by Blizt » Sat Aug 27, 2011 11:06 pm

Yes, there should also be some kind of critical counter to a charge.

Perhaps resulting in severe damage or the breaking of limbs to the mount or rider? The rider could fall off breaking his limbs, or the mount could stumble and break a leg? The enemy could just stick out their weapon, and BAM?

ramandu
Professional

#13 Post by ramandu » Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:41 am

If there was a counter, it should happen after a successful feint and have a bonus for pole arms and spears. However, I can think of a nasty counter by a halfling with a dagger -- X crouches down and brings his daggers up beneath the charging unicorn and plunges them deeply into the abdomen. By linking the counter to a feint, the one who is being charged would have to be in a fairly aggressive mood to have a chance at even attempting to counter the charge.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong.

Mogwai
Veteran

#14 Post by Mogwai » Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:59 am

ramandu wrote:If there was a counter, it should happen after a successful feint and have a bonus for pole arms and spears. However, I can think of a nasty counter by
Blizt wrote:Yes, there should also be some kind of critical counter to a charge.

Perhaps resulting in severe damage or the breaking of limbs to the mount or rider? The rider could fall off breaking his limbs, or the mount could stumble and break a leg? The enemy could just stick out their weapon, and BAM?
a halfling with a dagger -- X crouches down and brings his daggers up beneath the charging unicorn and plunges them deeply into the abdomen. By linking the counter to a feint, the one who is being charged would have to be in a fairly aggressive mood to have a chance at even attempting to counter the charge.
That being said if we wanted this to be at all realistic, a failed counter should result in the likely death of the halfling via being broken in half.
please tell me how you are going to defend against being run over by a 900+ lb unicorn with a spear ESPECIALLY while a rider has a longer rider lance aimed at you. (unless its a pike and even then there is a chance it could get knocked away without others in formation [phalanx]) (horses can reach 55 mph no reason to think a mythical creature as a unicorn couldn't match or beat those speeds.)

Zehren wrote: Unicorn comes a-charging!
You poke out your spear!
It is super-effective!
Unicorn faints.
actual outcome... rider lance has greater reach then any spear short of a pike and pikes work well in formation.

You poke out your spear!
Rider lance out reaches your spear
It is super-effective!
You now look at the fist sized hole in your chest.

Zehren
Overlord

#15 Post by Zehren » Sun Aug 28, 2011 6:04 pm

Mogwai wrote: actual outcome... rider lance has greater reach then any spear short of a pike and pikes work well in formation.

You poke out your spear!
Rider lance out reaches your spear
It is super-effective!
You now look at the fist sized hole in your chest.
Pfft. Just make a longer pike.

Blizt
Hero

#16 Post by Blizt » Mon Aug 29, 2011 12:45 am

I would love to have mounts that tramplekill halflings.
All halflings are thieves anyways.

Zehren
Overlord

#17 Post by Zehren » Mon Aug 29, 2011 2:38 am

Blizt wrote:I would love to have mounts that tramplekill halflings.
All halflings are thieves anyways.
They are not *thieves*, they just don't got the same greedy laws regarding material objects, AND they are most curious. "What's this, ancient family heirloom? WHY ARE YOU STARING AT ME LIKE THAT?!"

lanyara
Overlord

#18 Post by lanyara » Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:19 pm

There are so many bugs associated with riding in general (non-tiring super mounts to name just one).

I don't think anyone should consider a current behaviour to be precisely how things were supposed to ever be.

But just noone around fixing these issues either.
Best race: halflings.

ramandu
Professional

#19 Post by ramandu » Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:56 pm

@Ramandu dreams of giant horses . . . giant fire hooved horses a la Krull
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong.

adanath
Champion

#20 Post by adanath » Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:34 pm

For the sake of balance, Tshaharks need a huge mount that can charge, like a Waldschrat, or giant Polar bear, or a dragon.

In the interests of balance, I will clearly take a dragon as a mount, now your going to take a rider lance charge from the top of the head as I fly by. What now?

How are you going to avoid the charge now? eh? eh?

I'd be happy with a big boar as a mount, (that eats Sathos).