tshahark weapon gate

If it's no bug or an idea, but it's still MUD-related, it goes here.

Moderator: Wizards

Mogwai
Veteran

tshahark weapon gate

#1 Post by Mogwai » Sun May 06, 2012 10:23 pm

The weapon ban of arborea is just plain annoying.
When 15 players are around its not bad but when 5 are?
doess this really add much to the game?
from my experience playing a tshahark it makes me want to stop playing.
If you want to rp, than rp it. Thats what I was told about various things of being a tshahark and statprefs and this is forced on tshahark players?
In fact it makes playing a tshahark even more isolated for me

edit:

the loss of interaction is not worth the tiny bit of rp that really doesn't bring new rp to the table.

-I suppose I'm a minority as I play a tshahark like mogwai but it would be nice to not limit players in this sort of way, negate the effectiveness of 300 gold lockers etc etc...It's very frustrating.

glorfindel
Hero

Re: tshahark weapon gate

#2 Post by glorfindel » Mon May 07, 2012 10:00 am

Hey Mog,

Just a thought, are you sure that there's currently a weapon ban on Tshaharks? I don't recall one being there. Maybe your chars reputation just dropped so low that they are checked (you can have that with every char, just make enough things the city dislikes and they'll check you as you enter). I didn't have any problems entering Arborea with a tshahark the last months and I would be really astonished if it just changed again, though I am not saying it is not true.

poGlorfindel

luminier
Overlord

#3 Post by luminier » Mon May 07, 2012 10:36 am

Oddly enough I've experienced the same. Though I thought it was a bug so i reported it I think...
The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world.

Delmon
Champion

#4 Post by Delmon » Mon May 07, 2012 10:49 am

The only reason he would comment on this is if he had checked. There was no ban for awhile but there were some gate changes yesterday.

I personally loved the no-ban on tshaharks. More tshaharks showed up in arborea.

glorfindel
Hero

#5 Post by glorfindel » Mon May 07, 2012 11:06 am

I just threw the thought into it, as very few people are aware that you get treated 'like a tshahark' on cities if your reputation in that city is low enough. Personally I think you can not tell any difference between the reaction to a tshahark or to low rep. And better to have said something and see that it was thought about then otherwise.

And I agree, I think they should be allowed to have weapons, even though people dislike tshaharks in Arborea it should be possible (or maybe make a way to get into the city for tshaharks that gets them by the gate ? ).

Mogwai
Veteran

#6 Post by Mogwai » Mon May 07, 2012 12:49 pm

I appreciate the input but unfortunately it isn't that way:

"Volog[male human] buzzes in Common: Can't say I heard either good or
bad things about you recently."

Mogwai
Veteran

#7 Post by Mogwai » Mon May 07, 2012 11:24 pm

Its just become too frustrating to play mogwai. I started paying mogwai again after realizing the change in the system. Due to the change, I was able to interact with more characters. I don't mind being banned from a city such as elvandar due to past actions but arborea does not make sense, especially with our small current playerbase. I think more interaction is significantly more beneficial to the game.
I appreciate all the wizards do and the additions they make but I believe this change is seriously detrimental to the game's wellbeing and interactions.

fernao
Champion

#8 Post by fernao » Tue May 08, 2012 1:20 am

There might be bugs related to mask use in the past that need to be cleared manually by a wizard. Lucifer had the same problem. A mail to Per fixed that.
Life is but a butterflies dream

luminier
Overlord

#9 Post by luminier » Wed May 09, 2012 10:20 am

Tshaharks were never able to enter the city with weapons. Arborea is just racist. Why would you want to go into a city where people hate you? It's almost as bad as trying to enter a city where you are banned/outlawed.

There were times when this system wasn't functional, like 1 or 2 weeks ago, but I know that it has suppose to have been in place at all times.

What can I say Mogwai? Tshahark problems. =P

per
Master

#10 Post by per » Wed May 09, 2012 4:07 pm

And the search goes on...

And I keep finding Ancient Arborean bugs.

Updates to come, keep your eyes peeled, everyone.

Mogwai
Veteran

#11 Post by Mogwai » Wed May 09, 2012 5:43 pm

luminier wrote:Tshaharks were never able to enter the city with weapons. Arborea is just racist. Why would you want to go into a city where people hate you? It's almost as bad as trying to enter a city where you are banned/outlawed.

There were times when this system wasn't functional, like 1 or 2 weeks ago, but I know that it has suppose to have been in place at all times.

What can I say Mogwai? Tshahark problems. =P
Again, this is false, 5 years ago mathias and mogwai moved in and out of arborea without the weapon ban

Delmon
Champion

#12 Post by Delmon » Wed May 09, 2012 5:53 pm

5 years when we started it was not the case. Two years ago it was. Recently it was switched back and forth.

There doesn't seem to be that much of a benefit to having tshaharks without weapons in arborea. In order to increase interaction I don't see a reason to restrict part of the playerbase due to this rp reason.

I'd rather see anamosity towards tshaharks in speech and emotes rather than push characters out of a city by use of frustrating code that could be worked around but just annoys players.

I like cool speech and npc hate emotes against tshaharks, but not restricted access.

per
Master

#13 Post by per » Wed May 09, 2012 7:30 pm

Conditions as written should work now, the change ought to be live.

I do agree it's a bit unfair for tshaharks, seeing that darkelves don't have the same restriction currently. Let me know if you are an outstanding tshahark who has transcended his race to become an outstanding member of Arborean society, but don't enjoy the extra perks for it and I'll investigate.

Allurana
Hero

#14 Post by Allurana » Wed May 09, 2012 7:50 pm

I'm pretty sure the tshahark ban existed when I started playing 8 years ago. I definitely remember it for as far back as I can go, and have never been personally aware of a time that it didn't exist.

Perhaps it has been turned on and off since then, or perhaps certain characters (like Crusaders or Asral Clerics) have been given immunities here and there. Perhaps reputation also played a role (Spectacular reputation = free pass. Neutral or worse = no go). Perhaps bugs have prevented it from triggering correctly. From a player PoV, it's hard to say what has really happened.

When I played a tshahark, I had to deal with it on a regular basis. It was annoying, but I rolled with it. Then again I also always had at least one person available to carry my weapons in for me, so it was a minor hassle at best. I can't relate to how it would feel for a tshahark that has to be a loner, or has sensitive equipment that can't be handed to just anyone.

Nathan
Journeyman

#15 Post by Nathan » Wed May 23, 2012 7:08 am

Afaik Tshaharks are allowed to enter Arbora with their weapons
- if they are citizens of Arborea
- if they are Clerics of Asral

Shouldnt be an issue i mean

anglachel
Site Admin

#16 Post by anglachel » Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:33 am

So far as i know should be tshaharks with good reputation in Arborea should be not checked. I will take a look on the good for the citizen feature.

Nibble
Professional

#17 Post by Nibble » Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:27 am

anglachel wrote:So far as i know should be tshaharks with good reputation in Arborea should be not checked. I will take a look on the good for the citizen feature.
Not to my knowledge. The only exceptions are Asral Clerics and Citizens.

Nathan
Journeyman

#18 Post by Nathan » Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:29 am

luminier wrote:Tshaharks were never able to enter the city with weapons.
The Tshahark banishment is for sure "kind of younger invention", e.g as long as the legion has been active there hasn't been such a banishment.

And compared to our playerbase, it is most likely only annoying players.

After reconsidering, I personally do not have the feeling that this is a game feature - but happy and oftenly played tshaharks are :)

luminier
Overlord

#19 Post by luminier » Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:54 am

Nathan wrote:
luminier wrote:Tshaharks were never able to enter the city with weapons.
The Tshahark banishment is for sure "kind of younger invention", e.g as long as the legion has been active there hasn't been such a banishment.

And compared to our playerbase, it is most likely only annoying players.

After reconsidering, I personally do not have the feeling that this is a game feature - but happy and oftenly played tshaharks are :)
Alright fair enough, since I started playing in 2007, tshaharks have not been allowed weapons in Arborea. =D