Warrior Mages?

If it's no bug or an idea, but it's still MUD-related, it goes here.

Moderator: Wizards

fernao
Champion

Re: Warrior Mages?

#21 Post by fernao » Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:16 am

Nice idea, those "masters". Would be nice to see them added.
Life is but a butterflies dream

Allurana
Hero

#22 Post by Allurana » Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:10 am

How exactly would the banning/ignoring work? Unfortunately I foresee a situation where someone might become a perma-member of their guild and then cause a lot of problems/frictions for their fellow guildmates.

I think there'd be no problem with this if the perma-members took the role responsibly/faithfully, but in the case of perma-members becoming burdens/problems for their guild, I hope that there's according punishments/consequences in place for it, whether decided by wizards or fellow guildmates.

fernao
Champion

#23 Post by fernao » Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:16 am

Worstcase-Scenario? Report to the player-arch.
Life is but a butterflies dream

Delia
Overlord

#24 Post by Delia » Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:37 am

I am somewhat unsure(again)but I think master mages are handled the same way(?).
"To be is to do" - Sokrates
"To do is to be" - Jean-Paul Sartre
"Do be do be do" - Frank Sinatra

anglachel
Site Admin

#25 Post by anglachel » Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:37 pm

Banning could be serveral things:
- not longer allowed to vote
- disabling of the leader comamnds (his commands are ignored)
- not allowed to use the guild factilties/ no trainer
- not allowed to enter thr guild in the worst case.

Yes, the master mages are not allowed, to leave the guild again, Then they
make the step form apprentice to master it is a one way.
So noone with full magic abitlities can join an other guild.

Drayn
Hero

#26 Post by Drayn » Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:07 am

We've got something similar in the Taniel clergy.

The ignores listed above would seem logical. It stops them being a leader, but doesn't stop them being a monk/mage/cleric which allows for great blacksheep roleplay and finding characters in bars, drunk of their face "I used to *hic* be someone ya know!" :)

luminier
Overlord

#27 Post by luminier » Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:46 am

Luckily, I don't think the Crusaders will have this problem! But if you guys wanna make it impossible to leave the Crusaders as well, im totally down.
The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world.

glorfindel
Hero

#28 Post by glorfindel » Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:21 pm

Just to throw my own 2 cc into the whole discussion about Shaolin, there's always been the Problem with the Shaolin just being jumping board for other guilds. Years ago it was a favourite for Sathonite priests being former Shaolin as the combination was pretty devastating (with one extremely powerful miracle of of ancient times, especially), right now we got mages which migh appear overpowered with Shaolin skills.

Generally I always had an issue with the betrayal going without consequences, but from an OOC point of view (leaving all IC aspects behind), you'll need an active group of extremely powerful shaolin to hunt down traitors. Given the fact that a bit of the right type of armor will make you nearly invulnerable to most shaolin attacks ... well, that is not an option as things currently stand (as Allurana already pointed out). A shaolin can easily take down a group of multiple unarmoured powerful creatures, but a person in the right set of armours ? No chance. Combine that with a bit of devine / magical power and there's no chance that traitors can be hunted unless You are Yegerfin :P

I am generally against Shaolin loosing their mundane skills as martial arts training is martial arts training. More issues with being affected by missing balance (such as harder timing using them, more exhaustion, ... if being a traitor/not a shaolin) would throw a lot of balance into the pot in my eyes, but I know that a lot of people would be upset as well.

Generally, if anybody would come up with a good solution with this problem, I for one would be very happy (I do not count 'teaming with other guilds' a solution for hunting your own traitors, though ).

Delmon
Champion

#29 Post by Delmon » Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:27 pm

Bounty board for traitors that list desciption and can actually be a transaction process.

luminier
Overlord

#30 Post by luminier » Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:36 pm

^^^ Im already hunting traitors 24/7... whats a few extra?
The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world.

Skragna
Champion

#31 Post by Skragna » Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:26 pm

lol

I can totally see Skragna hunting people down for mucho money.

Delmon
Champion

#32 Post by Delmon » Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:29 pm

Should be automatic system...

List Luminier with bounty of 40 gold

Luminier, old male crusty crussie with gray hair and eyepatch, 40 gold bounty

You put gold coins into board

Drayn
Hero

#33 Post by Drayn » Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:07 pm

Maybe guildies can have some sort of bonus against their traitors? So a clerics miracles are rather more powerful against a traitor to that clergy, monks can kick traitor ass more easily etc.

For clerics, your god is pissed, they soup up the miracle. For mundane guilds, maybe you just know their style very well, but you've learned new stuff, so you're less predictable to them.

ewelyn
Professional

#34 Post by ewelyn » Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:25 am

I agree with Glorfindel that it is a really practical problem if your guild is weak, but the traitor is strong. Or worse, is accepted by a strong guild.

So in addition: would it be possible to have code support for treaties? My idea is that guilds would form a treaty where each party who signs it accept not to include traitors of other guilds into their own. I know there was already some roleplay in regards to this, and if we think of this is as just not a problem to the individual characters of the game, but of the game itself, then I think code support is motivated.

The decision of signing it or not would lie with the leader of each guild, and not signing it will not change the position it already has. Semi-enemy guilds could have reasons to sign such a deal, because that guild which has more members has more to lose.

It could be that it is automatically valid for a certain period of time, and beyond this time it needs "refresh" signature. Maybe it could affect a traitors ability to join the new guild, or as a slimmer first version, just serve as a formal document - be it if each party stands by his word.

Delia
Overlord

#35 Post by Delia » Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:50 am

If the treaties are signed for right reasons and not indefinite in length(refresh now and then as said)I think it could be alright. Though most treaties involving singular characters should be purely between characters(groups of).

This said because I know there are players whose ire is raised simply by even mentioning guild hopping and I fear if such forces made the decision it would be almost entirely player, not character influenced decision. This not only stand true for Geas but for a big part of the gaming community. IMHO of course as I could be completely off the chart here. Just a feeling I have had for long now.

There should more tackling of this problem IC. What can you do when killing is not an option for several reasons? Plenty, I think. People should communicate more about this matter, having a mechanism could largely eliminate that. Most often during leadership changes a new leader can be wondering what are these things about, he seems like an amiable chap let's take him in! And sometimes I feel the older experienced characters are such lucrative allies or powers to be feared that players are reluctant to take action.

Delia
Overlord

#36 Post by Delia » Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:00 am

With guild hopping in this instance I mean the character ending up, for various legit reasons, ending up having been in more than a one guild. Not the single-minded drive to squeeze every maximum combination the game offers.

Delia
Overlord

#37 Post by Delia » Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:26 am

I like the new leaders who cannot leave(shao sensei, master mage)but if the game if taking this direction, with player/code enforced traitor policy, I think it could be reasonable to put back learning skills from books.

Of course it should not be that easy. Some skills perhaps could not be learned, learning solo from books should be extremely hard and tedious, some skills could have prerequisites before they can be learned, having someone actually teach you the skills over time would be the ideal default(teaching skill!). This way the incentive to leave/joina guild just to perhaps gain a skill would surely diminish. Before it was too easy to learn any skill from a book.

Cuetlachtli
Veteran

#38 Post by Cuetlachtli » Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:45 pm

Hmm, kinda old topic but I haven't been on the boards in a while.

Back to the topic beginning. I don't think that there should be much fear of powerful fighters like Shaolin Masters or even Shaolin Members becoming powerful users of Magic.

In the cases of the Mages Guild, one thing is that it may be difficult for them to even qualify, depending on their skills, in the first place. Though maybe not, I dunno, I guess Shaolin might have good INT. Secondly, someone that was previously a 'warrior' would probably have a hard time getting an Apprenticeship, as the current Masters are a somewhat selective bunch of geezers.

Delia
Overlord

#39 Post by Delia » Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:25 am

Shaos do have some need for mentals, more than a normal fighter has. Tshahark shaos tend to have a constant lack of mana when doing heavy training while elves become out of breath first.

This said, shaos can become good scribes and even so increase their mentals further but it is SLOW and I do mean SLOW. So even if the shao/scribe to mage apprentice is possible it is very unlikely to happen anytime soon and even then increasing the magic skills required will be tough.

The next generation of mages will undoubtedly be more pure mage-y than the group of well established old(OLD, for emphasis)characters who formed the mages.