Proposal: Geas Fanfic Contest

If it's no bug or an idea, but it's still MUD-related, it goes here.

Moderator: Wizards

Drayn
Hero

Proposal: Geas Fanfic Contest

#1 Post by Drayn » Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:08 am

Hi folks,

We all love Geas, because...well...it's quite fantastic. It has a rich history and plenty of kick ass players. So here is my thought:

How about a fanfic contest?

Some well written short stories, set in the world of Geas, that people can enjoy writting and reading :) Here are some groovy side thoughts:

- Winning storied (voted for on the forum) could maybe be worked into the official history of the world. That way the theme continues to grow.

- Stories like this are a great way to attract new players.

- It's loads of fun.

Here are my ideas on how such a contest might be ran:

- Stories are to be set in Geas' past and involve no player characters. This is because player characters are a work of fiction in and of themselves and belong to the player. Plus it stops the "But Drayn would never do something like that" type arguments.

- Stories must work within existing theme and not make any glaring alterations to the timeline.

- Contest should have a strict begin and end date, all submissions are to be sent to the forum (maybe a wiz can facilitate this, I'll volunteer if needed). Submissions are then posted simultaneously and voted on.

- Maybe have a word minimum and maximum to prevent massive novels or skimpy sentences. (Maybe about 2000-3000 words?)

- Winning story is added to some sort of anthology (maybe linked through the main page to attract new players) and, pending wiz review, could be accepted as actual Geas events.

- Winning player could maybe get some sort of spiffy hat...that they'll need to buy/make themselves, but in the sure and safe knowledge that they DESERVE a hat of such wonderful spiffiness.

Thoughts? Comments? Threats?

Zehren
Overlord

Re: Proposal: Geas Fanfic Contest

#2 Post by Zehren » Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:32 am

I suggest allowing epics as well.
Then I can treat everyone with an extended tale of the hero who fought and perhaps even defeated the legendary ettin Dzehren Bzehren. Oh, wait, that's IG already.
ep·ic
n.
1. An extended narrative poem in elevated or dignified language, celebrating the feats of a legendary or traditional hero.

An "average" A4 page is generally accepted to be 500 words - I would personally vouch for a maximum of ten such pages for a short story. (Which ought hinder massive novels about the lineage of the Banana family in Cumberly, while not being a restrain on detail.)

As for the hat in question, I vouch for this one:
http://www.coolmexicanstore.com/mexican ... urple.html

Brilliant hat.

Something to keep in mind is that Evren gifted everyone with free will at, according to http://www.geas.de/?page_id=217 , 101 BA. So stories set more than 1246 years ago seem somewhat... SLAVERY EVERYWHERE. MORTALS DON'T KNOW MY MIND.
Drayn wrote:Zehren, the Karmassassin!