Balance issues - PVP

If it's no bug or an idea, but it's still MUD-related, it goes here.

Moderator: Wizards

Delia
Overlord

Re: Balance issues - PVP

#161 Post by Delia » Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:19 am

Then offer tweaks if that is indeed so :) But what Delem(or someone in this thread)described was that a weak priests trap is kinda useless, or so I understood. If you describe something someone like Phelan(or some other powerful priest) has used, who I imagine as the King of Sathos, nerfing everything because the single most powerful character is powerful makes everything kinda useless. Bit like make every weapon suck because Luminier can hit hard with them.

Personally I'd like the trap be adjusted and coloured according to each clergy but I haven't seen it once yet so I cannot really say much.
"To be is to do" - Sokrates
"To do is to be" - Jean-Paul Sartre
"Do be do be do" - Frank Sinatra

Delia
Overlord

#162 Post by Delia » Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:21 am

Of the thief spikes I can say the last time Delia had the pleasure they were not a big deal. But then again, praise Taniel for creating those elven legs. Ultimate his wisdom is.

Delia
Overlord

#163 Post by Delia » Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:43 am

But an actual balance issue is the mounts not tiring as they can be used for speedwalk. Instantly zap from a place to another. It should be possible to drive your mount to the point of exhaustion so that it dies. It happens with horses.

Stamina was introduced for many reasons. Creating a sense of distance of was one and making long spurts of fast room movement quite impossible. Mounts should experience.the same. This would solve many issues. Of course a mount should be able to hold on fast movement longer than a humanoid but when someone tries to hit a speedwalk alias the mount should just keel over.

ganandorf
Overlord

#164 Post by ganandorf » Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:49 am

Don't forget Sathos also have quake as well, to drop their enemies to the ground. If I recall correctly it can even effect more than one person, as well as mounts?
Meow

fernao
Champion

#165 Post by fernao » Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:54 am

To make it clear, my suggestion to make praying available while moving was sarcasm. Sorry if that lead to confusion.
Life is but a butterflies dream

anglachel
Site Admin

#166 Post by anglachel » Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:00 am

The most mounts are not blockable by a normal player because of their weight and height. By the current code only a tshahark have a chance to block a horse or an unicorn.
A horse have weight from 400 kg till 900 kg and i think a unicorn is not much lighter. So a mount with a wellarmoured rider plus saddle and other things can have a total weight of around 1000 kg.
So the chance of a fat 40 kg halfling is to stop such a mount on high speed is zero. He will simple pushed away.
It can be only be block by a huge oppent or with magic.
On only think that can be discussed, if the blocker have chance of a free strike then the mount passes.

morgaine
Experienced

#167 Post by morgaine » Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:22 am

anglachel wrote: On only think that can be discussed, if the blocker have chance of a free strike then the mount passes.
I think a free strike (without chance of defence by the rider), I think it would make a chance at least.

Same for dodged charges, you should have the chance there too.
You say in Common: We're not all savage beasts, you know.
You smirk.

Delia
Overlord

#168 Post by Delia » Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:36 am

Perhaps a behaviour toggle? As not everyone might automatically wish to strike the charger. So toggle on - after a feat of agility and discipline one manages to stay safe and close enough to retaliate. Long weapons help here. Some weapons might actually catch the rider! The one attacked should be the one striking. Not teams synchronizing to form a gauntlet for the rider, they could have a small chance though? Could easily be too much. Trying this would also perhaps lower your defence a bit or offer some other risk.

Toggle off - you actively defend yourself and try to avoid the charge. Easier time doing this than with toggle on.

Something for the charger as well - a critical that impales the victim and carries him away with the rider! Size and weight matters here. Largish brutes could be tossed to next room and pinned, a halfling could be paraded all around Forostar!

fernao
Champion

#169 Post by fernao » Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:54 am

Hmm, such a charge would not only require to charge into a room, with a target given, but also charge direction for leaving. Being dragged into another room could be serious enough, Direction would need to be basically straight ahead, I mean a charge with a 180 degree turn would slow down a lot, little chance to drag someone along by sheer mass and speed.

A boon for the charger could be that the lance would not shatter easily, or, if if it shatters, it would do additional bleeding damage.

As for the toggle, could be similar to the "attack thief" toggle.
Life is but a butterflies dream

Nathan
Journeyman

#170 Post by Nathan » Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:51 am

luminier wrote:Also, this. Honestly it feels like someone complained that my tactics were unfair so everything that I used is being countered.

I used the gate guards to heal, they no longer heal me.
I used mounts to escape from being blocked, now mounts can be blocked.
I used hit and run to avoid miracles, now there is a miracle that traps me.

I feel like I am getting singled out and it's really not cool.
Hmm, sounds uncool, indeed.

I personally of course find hit and run uncool - hehe. But - if hit and run is the only option to survive agaist a Cleric - then maybe clerics are just overpowered? Or Crusaders underpowered?

What do you mean?

I personally would like to see some kind of PvP battle where Asral/Satho/Taniel/Shao/Mage-Lumi against Crusader-Lumi (means chars with same stats and skills) are entirely balanced, so that the outcome is a question of tactics and player skill only.Or am I just wrong here?

EDIT: Oh I of couse forgot some like Ranger and Order - and well, hmm ... Thieves, but they are no warriors at all, they shall steal rapiers and rob old women, these freaks:)

Delia
Overlord

#171 Post by Delia » Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:19 am

I can say that any "fair" PvP fight where the mage is alone will end up a loss for the mage ;) Magic is quite geared towards being in the backrow and even more towards things completely outside combat. As a hint, a mage can cast around two(2)offensive combat spells with full mana alone :)

adanath
Champion

#172 Post by adanath » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:41 am

Delia wrote:I can say that any "fair" PvP fight where the mage is alone will end up a loss for the mage ;) Magic is quite geared towards being in the backrow and even more towards things completely outside combat. As a hint, a mage can cast around two(2)offensive combat spells with full mana alone :)
Despite every class desiring to be equal in 1v1 pvp, it is not meant for them to be. Every class brings something new to the forefront. A halfling should not be able to win straight up against an enormous warrior. If so it should take considerable cunning. Yet having a halfling back-row shooting could easily kill multiple big warriors.

Delia
Overlord

#173 Post by Delia » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:47 am

Yep, I agree and not complaining here. I enjoy how magic works in Geas very much. I just fear that people look at Delia and draw the conclusion:"That is like all the other mages are as well."

Zehren
Overlord

#174 Post by Zehren » Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:04 pm

adanath wrote:Despite every class desiring to be equal in 1v1 pvp, it is not meant for them to be. Every class brings something new to the forefront. A halfling should not be able to win straight up against an enormous warrior. If so it should take considerable cunning. Yet having a halfling back-row shooting could easily kill multiple big warriors.
This. One of my halflings, despite being hunted by multiple big warriors, never died to them when I did not wish to. Hidehidehidehide :D It seemed very balanced to me, despite having no chance of killing any hunters 1v1.

Also, Delia is a freak. (Direct quote, from poDelia.)

Edit: I meant to write "Delia is an aberration", which is the direct quote. My bad.
Last edited by Zehren on Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Drayn wrote:Zehren, the Karmassassin!

adanath
Champion

#175 Post by adanath » Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:45 pm

Zehren wrote:
adanath wrote:Despite every class desiring to be equal in 1v1 pvp, it is not meant for them to be. Every class brings something new to the forefront. A halfling should not be able to win straight up against an enormous warrior. If so it should take considerable cunning. Yet having a halfling back-row shooting could easily kill multiple big warriors.
This. One of my halflings, despite being hunted by multiple big warriors, never died to them when I did not wish to. Hidehidehidehide :D It seemed very balanced to me, despite having no chance of killing any hunters 1v1.

Also, Delia is a freak. (Direct quote, from poDelia.)
Right but you mean freaky deaky..like freaky..like huge boar.

Skragna
Champion

#176 Post by Skragna » Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:37 pm

I can state with absolute certainty that Skragna can block a horse, unicorn, warg, hyenadon, whatever. If you're riding it, I can stop it cold. IF such a 'free strike' would be implemented, I suggest that it has two toggle options, mount and rider. If set to rider, you take your swing at the rider, and if mount, well, it's what it says on the tin. You should have very little chance to parry or dodge it, because you are bulling past/through the opponent. That sort of tactic leaves you very little defensive wiggle room. If the strike (and subsequently, the block) fails, whoever failed to block the mount should get knocked down and, depending on the mount, trampled. (for instance, a warhorse will trample you, whereas a warg would not, due to lack of hooves.) I haven't seen this 'trap' miracle myself, but I have to say it seems a bit like overkill for the Sathonites. All they'd have to do is lure you into a room and trap you with it, bone spear/pain/curse you, and you're toast. Even if you started to win, they can just freely walk away, hide behind undead, heal up, and come back for more. So here's my two copper. Once you cast trap, you can't abort it or cancel it like other miracles. Once you drop it down, it's down. Give concentrating on the spell a big penalty to other spells, so you can't have, for instance, five darknesses stacked, a breeze, a hardened robe, a blessed weapon, and whatever else. I'd say limit it to one, four other miracles, tops, that can be continued simultaneously. As for charging, I'd love to see something like 'charge e at x and continue ne/e/se(or the up and down variants thereof). But don't let them make 90 degree turns or more. You'd lose momentum.