Your favorite quests/mini game

If it's no bug or an idea, but it's still MUD-related, it goes here.

Moderator: Wizards

anglachel
Site Admin

Your favorite quests/mini game

#1 Post by anglachel » Tue Dec 25, 2012 12:29 pm

Which is your your favorite (mini)quests (mini game in game) and why? What do want to see in the mud?

Delia
Overlord

Re: Your favorite quests/mini game

#2 Post by Delia » Tue Dec 25, 2012 1:10 pm

I like the scroll translation bit as it forces people to seek out scribes quite elegantly or pay the slightly heavy fee the NPC requests. Delia has met quite many new people that way and parted with a couple of gold coins for her trouble as well :) It enables scribe characters to actually behave and work as scribes within the game world, so, IMO this one bit works quite wonderfully.

As for new stuff...erm...more new stuff? :) Seriously, the one of the best additions to the game ever was when Elvandar Forest was expanded. Stretching some known area...perhaps the one from crossroads to Arborea gates could be made a little more expansive?
"To be is to do" - Sokrates
"To do is to be" - Jean-Paul Sartre
"Do be do be do" - Frank Sinatra

anglachel
Site Admin

#3 Post by anglachel » Tue Dec 25, 2012 1:14 pm

There will a area area between the crossroad and light forest in south of Elvandar in the near future to expand the the distance between Arborea and Elvandar.

Delia
Overlord

#4 Post by Delia » Tue Dec 25, 2012 1:56 pm

Sounds great :)

Eluriel
Master

#5 Post by Eluriel » Wed Dec 26, 2012 4:22 am

I love finding new, secret things. I wish I had more time to explore Eal-Deliah thoroughly, rather than being dragged around by the people that hunt there, hehe. I want to look at stuff!

I really enjoyed trying to figure out the new mansion in Arborea, although I don't think I ever quite found the right way to get the answer to the mosaic. It was more a lucky guess than finding the right clues I think. And I know part of the quest isn't finished yet either.

I do hate that some of the quests require you to either be a really strong character or in a team, though I suppose it encourages working together. I think my chars need to work on their social skills. ;)

Zehren
Overlord

#6 Post by Zehren » Wed Dec 26, 2012 5:46 am

Swampwater for the healer,
and beer/meat/dog food for Kelric.

Why?
Because they are repetitious tasks that actually function as such.
It is so ludicrous that Virle keeps losing the same book,
Ulric keeps losing his hut to the nibblers and get drunk about it all the time, and
kobolds steal the same old artefact. Or, my personal favourite IC ridiculousness - a halfling having a hundred copies of the same thing translated.

Yeah. I don't like static quests. I am all for events, though, or simply mundane repetitious tasks, such as "carry these fifteen heavy barrels of ale to the underground and I will give you a gold. can't stand it. Bad back."

As an aside, I love minigames. Zhakrin scales, byspel.
Drayn wrote:Zehren, the Karmassassin!

adanath
Champion

#7 Post by adanath » Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:25 am

Zehren wrote:Swampwater for the healer,
and beer/meat/dog food for Kelric.

Why?
Because they are repetitious tasks that actually function as such.
It is so ludicrous that Virle keeps losing the same book,
Ulric keeps losing his hut to the nibblers and get drunk about it all the time, and
kobolds steal the same old artefact. Or, my personal favourite IC ridiculousness - a halfling having a hundred copies of the same thing translated.

Yeah. I don't like static quests. I am all for events, though, or simply mundane repetitious tasks, such as "carry these fifteen heavy barrels of ale to the underground and I will give you a gold. can't stand it. Bad back."

As an aside, I love minigames. Zhakrin scales, byspel.
Many static quests really are hard to roleplay, Yet I know there are other things to in game that older chars incorporate. Adanath will pay young ones for certain tasks, he is just not sure how much. I like it when players get involved in such a fashion.

anglachel
Site Admin

#8 Post by anglachel » Wed Dec 26, 2012 12:27 pm

Yes, i now the problem of the static quest. But it is impossible to make always a new quest, then the old is solved. The repeatable quests have the problem, that they miss the heroic touch. So we must live with this problem.
So i try to make at least such quest as open/dual quest.
Also quest with a good and evil solution. It is bit ridiculous that a death priest help a girl or boy to find her toy. These kind of quest will be ok for beginner chars before they decide to be good or evil.

anglachel
Site Admin

#9 Post by anglachel » Wed Dec 26, 2012 1:36 pm

Here an example for the quest problem.
A quest for new area a forest. base idea is that in one sit a old druid and ask player to search some herbs for him that he will need for a potion.
Thus quest will repeatable, the druid makes every day potion and so he need every day fresh herbs.
But why should a high level do such simple things, searching some herbs!
So we need a heroic touch (all player are heroes by default, that is why they leave their home).
Extension one for heroes: There is an evil wood spirit in this forest that let the tree decay. The druid had trap the spirit in one tree and need the potion to destroy the spirit. Then the druid get the herbs he will make the potion and ask the player to to this ill tree and cut it and pour the potion over the stump. Then the spirit will be destroyed and a new tree can grow at this place.
But now we have the problem why should an evil chars help to destroy a evil spirit?
Extension one for evil chars: The the player enter the room with the ill tree, the spirit will ask him/her to kill the druid and bring the amulet to the tree to free the spirit. So we have a good and evil solution.
But now the quest is not longer a 'repeatable' quest.
If someone has ideas to solve this problem, i a, open for suggestions.

adanath
Champion

#10 Post by adanath » Wed Dec 26, 2012 1:46 pm

Perhaps opposing quests in this matter then.

An evil quest to defile the tree, a holy quest to purify a tree.

Sairina
Hero

#11 Post by Sairina » Wed Dec 26, 2012 4:35 pm

Maybe the spirit is free and does turn the whole forest into a nasty spooky area with different descriptions and maybe dangerous creatures rather than the normal animals too, so that the heros get something to do. The spirit itself can't be killed, but it can be trapped in a tree, for which the druid needs the potion. Once a good char does the quest, the spirit is trapped, the forest is clean again, and an evil char can get the quest to free the spirit to start the cycle over. A bit Tower of Pain, but it would work as a repeatable quest, because one of the quests would be available at any time. And the druid doesn't even need to be the same one, maybe there's a whole order that tries to guard this forest, and the quest-giver could just get a random description. I don't much like the amulet in this, but maybe the spirit could be freed by spilling the blood of the druid that trapped him onto the tree?

Allurana
Hero

#12 Post by Allurana » Wed Dec 26, 2012 8:42 pm

I like the quests that have different options of conclusions for goods or evils.

Eluriel
Master

#13 Post by Eluriel » Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:12 pm

Oh yeah, I really liked the spirits-trapped-in-the-tower quest that I didn't find out about for the longest time. Required several steps, plus being there at the right time. And you could choose the "good" or "evil" result. Didn't so much like the huge favour boost for X god though, which made one of my chars unwillingly convert, hehe.

isengoo
Champion

#14 Post by isengoo » Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:38 pm

I like balancing the scales 8)

anglachel
Site Admin

#15 Post by anglachel » Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:00 am

A Flip-Flop quest would a solution of the quest problem. But there must be minimum delay between two changes and there must be also an automatic switch then the quest is not done for sime time, to avoid the danger the it freeze in one state.
The only (small) disadantage is that the quest can not be done every time. You must wait till the forest is the 'right' state for you and then minium delay time and hoping that noone is quicker.

Delia
Overlord

#16 Post by Delia » Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:39 am

Back to the question of wanting stuff...I feel as if we have been grinding the same chapter of the story, so to speak, for a while now and I think others might feel similarly as well. Having some groundshaking event usher us all towards this new chapter or even a new age would be splendid indeed. Power balance could be altered, natural alliances shaken, introduce or change a theme. Personally I'd like to see something storydriven happen with the Elvandar vs Sathonites conflict as it has raged for aeons now :) Might freshen things a bit.

Skragna
Champion

#17 Post by Skragna » Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:53 pm

Easiest way to do that, I think, is for that new continent to open up. Till that does happen, Delia, we'll just have to wait.

luminier
Overlord

#18 Post by luminier » Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:16 am

I am not sure how the release of a new continent would affect the "story" on Forostar.

I believe what Delia means is that something "big" should happen between the Sathonites and Elvandar (for example, could be anything, could be a meteor hitting Arborea) and then we'll have to deal with the fall out.

A new continent is great and all but it doesn't spice up stuff much on the home front.
The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world.

adanath
Champion

#19 Post by adanath » Sat Dec 29, 2012 3:01 am

If I have not made myself clear in the past, I believe a dragon for Adanath would solve everything.

Delia
Overlord

#20 Post by Delia » Sat Dec 29, 2012 3:19 am

The new continent would be swell but whatever it is I think the Forostar situation could use some earthshattering event to happen. Not necessarily something only concerning Elvandar & Sathos but anything really. Events are fun! The larger the merrier :)