Your favorite quests/mini game

If it's no bug or an idea, but it's still MUD-related, it goes here.

Moderator: Wizards

luminier
Overlord

Re: Your favorite quests/mini game

#21 Post by luminier » Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:12 am

With it's faults, I really like the Tower of Pain mechanic. With proper fixing up I think it could be very cool.

Once the Lilithians gets more fleshed out... perhaps we could have a similar thing in Ironhold? maybe a war between the dwarves and lilithians?

Struggles like that give the players something to consistently work toward.
The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world.

Eluriel
Master

#22 Post by Eluriel » Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:43 am

Delia wrote:The new continent would be swell but whatever it is I think the Forostar situation could use some earthshattering event to happen. Not necessarily something only concerning Elvandar & Sathos but anything really. Events are fun! The larger the merrier :)
Maybe a total takeover of Elvandar? :twisted:

Delia
Overlord

#23 Post by Delia » Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:09 am

Why not? :) Personally I think it would be a really good turning point, a new chapter. Homeless elves in complete disarray, goodness driven underground, and becoming akin to Sathos now, war refugees flooding into other cities(or not :twisted: ), chaos reigns, etc...

Would be a total massive makeover though which might not sit well with all people. I would like :)
"To be is to do" - Sokrates
"To do is to be" - Jean-Paul Sartre
"Do be do be do" - Frank Sinatra

Allurana
Hero

#24 Post by Allurana » Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:39 am

Sathos take Elvandar. Taniels take Arborea. Asrals take Underground. Dwarves retake Ironhold. Goblinoids zerg rush Asador. New homes for everyone!

Zehren
Overlord

#25 Post by Zehren » Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:15 am

Allurana wrote:Sathos take Elvandar. Taniels take Arborea. Asrals take Underground. Dwarves retake Ironhold. Goblinoids zerg rush Asador. New homes for everyone!
The Underground is not the main dwarven establishment, I believe, but loristically a mere outpost.
Drayn wrote:Zehren, the Karmassassin!

Delia
Overlord

#26 Post by Delia » Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:34 am

The way to the fabled dwarven kingdom could be reopened(and to lizzie castle), only to find it in ruins! Undead, demon or trollish nastiness abound, stragglers and muffled cries of help, deathly doom all around.

SERIOUSLY, I am feeling the new year on me or something.
"To be is to do" - Sokrates
"To do is to be" - Jean-Paul Sartre
"Do be do be do" - Frank Sinatra

Allurana
Hero

#27 Post by Allurana » Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:38 am

Zehren wrote:The Underground is not the main dwarven establishment, I believe, but loristically a mere outpost.
Correct. But for an outpost, the Underground works pretty well as a city.

The main city is Rockhome. Or maybe Cliffhaven through good old fashioned retcon. It depends on the discretion of whoever finally makes the place, I guess.

krelji
Hero

#28 Post by krelji » Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:28 pm

I think it would be nice to have some more or less random events for mid-level chars.
All knowledge is heresy. Yes, you heard me correctly.
It is the nature of religions to thrive on ignorance.

Zehren
Overlord

#29 Post by Zehren » Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:54 pm

I think it would be nice to have wizardrun events. I am happy if this also reduces the amount of static quests.
Drayn wrote:Zehren, the Karmassassin!

adanath
Champion

#30 Post by adanath » Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:14 pm

Zehren wrote:I think it would be nice to have wizardrun events. I am happy if this also reduces the amount of static quests.
It is so much on the wizards though, they already run a few events, though I wouldn't say I disagree with the premise.

ganandorf
Overlord

#31 Post by ganandorf » Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:16 pm

I think the most important thing to add at this point would be more places to hunt. I think that's a huge issue with 4-5 main hunting spots and an increasing population. Theres very few things more advanced than the bugbear camp, ogres, the most accessible, often becomes inaccessible. Considering combat is one of the best things in this mud, I'd love more places to do it!

To get back to the main topic though, another one of my favourite things in the game is helping out kelric in arborea. None of his quests are too substantial, but by doing all of them you get a feel for the city and learn your way around. Multiple small quests > larger ones, especially for new characters finding their way around the game, imo.
Meow

Cuetlachtli
Veteran

#32 Post by Cuetlachtli » Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:32 pm

I have to agree with Delia in one of my favorite quests being the scroll translation. I like it for the same reasons, as it can be an incentive to seek out players in the game to interact.

A solution to Bimok having hundreds of the same scroll translated could be just a slight change in his story...perhaps he had found, in his father's study, a whole treasure trove of scrolls needing translation. Like thousands of them. And he's working on restoring them to know more about his father or write a biography about him, or some kind of thing.

Or this could be implemented as a different NPC....anyway you get the idea.

I think similar quests, that require the player to interact with other players in game, in even a simple way, would be nice. Maybe some where the player meets an NPC that wants some item of theirs blessed...so you seek out a Cleric for that. Maybe some kind of quest for most of the major guilds and even minor ones. At least if it can be done without seeming forced.

For a Mage-related one...you could have an NPC that needs their runic ring charged or something, but they can't find a Mage. So the player, being ever the good Samaritan, takes the ring to a Mage and they charge it. In return the player would get some amount of money from the NPC. Then the Mage would also have to visit that NPC to receive the payment that is due to them for that ring-charging. (It's kind of an awkward set up, I know...and some Mage-chars might not be willing to do this RP wise.) But this could be a sort of 'repeatable quest' as long as there was a time limit like from 'reboot' to 'reboot' to avoid it being abused.

Well, it's not the best idea ever, but it's one suggestion at least. :P

I love the idea about something more or less earth-shattering happening in the MUD to change the dynamics. I have no real ideas, but I do like the sort of "Dark Fantasy" idea of Elvandar getting taken over that's being thrown around here. Considering how Arborea is easily turned Friendly to the darker gods anyways, it could create a completely different environment than now, where evils had way more influence and control, and being a 'good guy' might be a bit more difficult.

Either that or someone in the game develops the first Warp-Drive and we reach for the stars....