Faith from sermons and teaming

If it's no bug or an idea, but it's still MUD-related, it goes here.

Moderator: Wizards

Aslak
Master

Re: Faith from sermons and teaming

#21 Post by Aslak » Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:17 am

Allurana wrote: I also like the idea of some prestige for a cleric for converting a new follower... but only if listening to preaches becomes an active choice and no longer a passive one. Otherwise, I worry it would just encourage questionable preaching tactics to rack up a conversion high-score.
Turning sermons to an actively listening basis sounds like a very good way to prevent those faith assassin clerics. Sometimes you do not even notice someone is preaching if several people are at place and the sermon is hold in a language you do not understand. It normally takes several lines of that sermon to notice it is not a normal conversation but a sermon, and with a good cleric that time can be enough to be converted.

Also, I did not mean to lower the punishment for teaming with an enemy compared to ways to gain faith, just to have a lot larger buffer. If you have good faith and team with someone of an opposing god you can currently loose enough faith to abandon your god by just one time.
What I wanted to suggest was that you can team with an enemy twice, maybe three times, before you finally loose your faith, but at the same time, the time to regain lost faith should be increased by the same pace.
In the end, it would not mean the punishment for bad behavior would not come or be lesser, just that it would take more then one act to get that punishment, but also more then one act to get in good faith with your god. Right now the extremes of no faith and full faith seems to be very close together and easily reachable by one or only few actions.
I would like a more continual way of faith changes, not a so abrupt one like now.

morgaine
Experienced

#22 Post by morgaine » Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:10 pm

It should be virtually impossible to convert somebody through a sermon in a language they can not understand.
You say in Common: We're not all savage beasts, you know.
You smirk.

louis
Champion

#23 Post by louis » Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:02 am

Aslak wrote:Also, I did not mean to lower the punishment for teaming with an enemy compared to ways to gain faith, just to have a lot larger buffer. If you have good faith and team with someone of an opposing god you can currently loose enough faith to abandon your god by just one time.
What I wanted to suggest was that you can team with an enemy twice, maybe three times, before you finally loose your faith, but at the same time, the time to regain lost faith should be increased by the same pace.
In the end, it would not mean the punishment for bad behavior would not come or be lesser, just that it would take more then one act to get that punishment, but also more then one act to get in good faith with your god. Right now the extremes of no faith and full faith seems to be very close together and easily reachable by one or only few actions.
I would like a more continual way of faith changes, not a so abrupt one like now.
Sounds to me - in all friendship - like you want to be able to continuedly team with foe faiths - this is precisely the reason why we have this punishment mechanism ;)

Allurana
Hero

#24 Post by Allurana » Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:57 am

I'd say the best way to handle the foe-team conversion issue, if you don't want to just roll with it, would probably be to leave the team *immediately* when you get the first message, and do what you can to recover faith with your god. If you put it off, you'll definitely be screwed in faith. But if you leave immediately, you can probably save it within the hour or so it takes to finalize, at least as long as you have access to a priest/shrine.

Aslak
Master

#25 Post by Aslak » Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:53 am

louis wrote:
Aslak wrote:...
Sounds to me - in all friendship - like you want to be able to continuedly team with foe faiths - this is precisely the reason why we have this punishment mechanism ;)
No, that is exactly not what I meant. I just said that I believe that the loss of faith is too fast compared to the size of the faithpool. If the pool would be larger, if you would keep your faith on a high level, you would not run "out of faith", by just one act. It would still take the same amount of work though to regain the lost faith.
So if you regularly break the rules of your god, you would still get punished, just not for a single teaming with someone whose faith you possibly did not know exactly.

Zehren
Overlord

#26 Post by Zehren » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:34 am

Aslak wrote:
louis wrote:
Aslak wrote:...
No, that is exactly not what I meant. I just said that I believe that the loss of faith is too fast compared to the size of the faithpool. If the pool would be larger, if you would keep your faith on a high level, you would not run "out of faith", by just one act. It would still take the same amount of work though to regain the lost faith.
So if you regularly break the rules of your god, you would still get punished, just not for a single teaming with someone whose faith you possibly did not know exactly.
The pool is fairly large. Without getting into too much detail, you are not at max favour once the NPC cleric smiles brightly.
Drayn wrote:Zehren, the Karmassassin!