New Area - Derring

If it's no bug or an idea, but it's still MUD-related, it goes here.

Moderator: Wizards

fernao
Champion

New Area - Derring

#1 Post by fernao » Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:01 am

Just on a side note, please keep also the western coastal "road" in mind when you adjust the areas of Elvandar and Arborea. There is already a slight discrepancy on that road, if a new area gets inserted without that road being adjusted as well, it will only grow.

Sorry if that sounds like a stickler, but I love drawing maps and hate it when they don't "add up".
Life is but a butterflies dream

anglachel
Site Admin

Re: New Area - Derring

#2 Post by anglachel » Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:32 am

Then you mean the way along the cost, what kind of 'discrepancy' did you mean?
Of course every road in north-south direction will be bit longer, that is one of the intentions of this change.

fernao
Champion

#3 Post by fernao » Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:48 am

I sent you my map per mail. You'll see the discrepancy/off-set in the northwestern part, where the coastal road and the blood wood meat up with the western part of the tundra.
Life is but a butterflies dream

anglachel
Site Admin

#4 Post by anglachel » Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:01 pm

It seems there is failure on map near Cumberly. The distance of rooms in the village and outside of the village is different. In the map some small village roons are drawn as big outside rooms.

The roams desc give no hint, the travel message can show such a scale change:
You travel a short distance xxxx.
You travel a medium distance xxxx.
You travel a long distance xxxx.

luminier
Overlord

#5 Post by luminier » Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:32 pm

the coastal road is not only long "room wise" it's also VERY long "distance wise".

Walking in Asador is very short distance and getting from one end of the city is about 10 rooms because the distances are short it is easy.

If you do the same distance in hell where the rooms are "very long" distance and you walk 10 rooms, youll tire MUCH faster because you are walking for a "longer" distance.

Does that make more sense?
The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world.

Allurana
Hero

#6 Post by Allurana » Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:39 pm

I'm curious to see this new area implemented. Having a fleshed out newbie zone, something in that somewhat blank distance between Arborea and Elvandar, and having the distance between (at least two) major regions increased, all sound like good changes to me.

I tip my hat to those who will have to rework the coords of the north half of the continent by shifting it further north. This sounds like daunting work, unless you have something to help automate the process.

anglachel
Site Admin

#7 Post by anglachel » Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:59 pm

On the coastal rood all distances should 'long' If not the coordinates of the room are wrong. Besides some exception no rooms have the distance 'very long'. This distance is used for ocean rooms.
Then you get this 'very long' write there report, so that in can be checked.

luminier
Overlord

#8 Post by luminier » Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:42 pm

ya the coastal road distances are all "long"

the only very long ones Ive seen are oceans, heaven and hell.

Aturshus
Veteran

#9 Post by Aturshus » Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:50 am

How exactly are we intended to roleplay the appearance of a new area where there wasn't one before? This is something I've been wondering about, but I am glad that we will be getting one.

Delia
Overlord

#10 Post by Delia » Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:52 am

Just roll with it somehow...it is not the first nor the last new area to come :)
"To be is to do" - Sokrates
"To do is to be" - Jean-Paul Sartre
"Do be do be do" - Frank Sinatra

arxthas
Hero

#11 Post by arxthas » Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:38 pm

Retcon.

Allurana
Hero

#12 Post by Allurana » Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:08 pm

My logic:

Derringdorf was always there. It's just in the past, it existed virtually, like all those citizens of Arborea and Elvandar you know are there, but can't OOCly see.

As for no one ever mentioning it in the past? Dunno, maybe no one felt it was important enough to mention. Like Jamantys.

Zehren
Overlord

#13 Post by Zehren » Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:48 pm

Allurana wrote:My logic:

Derringdorf was always there. It's just in the past, it existed virtually, like all those citizens of Arborea and Elvandar you know are there, but can't OOCly see.

As for no one ever mentioning it in the past? Dunno, maybe no one felt it was important enough to mention. Like Jamantys.
Yupsies. AKA Derringdorf ought be introduced with a bang, some fancy event, putting it on the map (again), so to say.
Drayn wrote:Zehren, the Karmassassin!

luminier
Overlord

#14 Post by luminier » Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:36 pm

just like the main dwarf city ... tshahark castle.. halfling empire...

oh wait that last one doesn't exist.

Zehren
Overlord

#15 Post by Zehren » Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:16 pm

luminier wrote:just like the main dwarf city ... tshahark castle.. halfling empire...

oh wait that last one doesn't exist.
The embassy in Elvandar doesn't exist either, of course. Nor does Elvandar. It is all just elves dreaming, AKA geas is final fantasy X extended.

Eal-Deliah is Zanarkand, and they had high-tech floating houses. true story.

Delia
Overlord

#16 Post by Delia » Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:38 pm

The halfling population just could not withstand predatory insects and tshaharks and became eaten. True story, IMO.
"To be is to do" - Sokrates
"To do is to be" - Jean-Paul Sartre
"Do be do be do" - Frank Sinatra

Zehren
Overlord

#17 Post by Zehren » Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:41 pm

Delia wrote:The halfling population just could not withstand predatory insects and tshaharks and became eaten. True story, IMO.
Insects and tshaharks both are very halfling-blind :D
To quote an insects: ME NO SEE HALFLING IS MORE LIKE SEE NOTHING LING

anglachel
Site Admin

#18 Post by anglachel » Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:07 pm

A news area does not appears. It was there since ever.
If it is an island it easy. An extension to one direction the same, These are areas, which you till now not have visited and they were till now so infamous, that nobody spoke about.
A new area between two old areas is bit more difficult to declare.
But this area was also there since ever.
It is the same like different scales of rooms. Outside you run around a town with a few moves, but through the town you need many moves.
Now the rooms between the areas is bigger in this sense, Before you rush simple through now you take more time and notice the area.
I know this is very week declaration.

ganandorf
Overlord

#19 Post by ganandorf » Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:10 pm

Why make it so complicated?

Yes RP is very important, but this is also a game where ooc things occur, just add it into your roleplay.

Is this new area going to be so shocking and extreme that it completely changes your characters roleplay and life values? I doubt it. It's a small town that is still going to unimportant to most.
Meow

arxthas
Hero

#20 Post by arxthas » Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:21 am

Obviously the area wasn't there before, now it was invented and added to the game. I think there are many changes that would be beneficial to the game that implies some degree of retcon in it. So I totally agree - find a way to make wiz-changes part of your game, just like you have to deal with that someone logs out and becomes a statue. I find it annoying when people base arguments "retcon" alone. Every change is essentially a retcon to the previously known facts. We could do it in this case,.., for example there are now at least two rooms suddenly have a bigger distance between them which is an alteration of previously established facts, but then again you could do that in almost every game change. It would sort of mean that wizzies can never add anything to the game, or fix any problems with the game.. this is why I think it's wrong to scream "retcon" or even argue against change itself. So I think every argument should have something else, than the fact in itself that something is changed to what it previously wasn't. I personally think some of those changes will perhaps make a small bunk to some local consistency, but if it adds to the global consistency and playability, then it's a good thing.. it's a bigger thing if there are some really big things that players been basing all of their living on suddenly changing, but I also think you should keep your mind open in those case too, because even then there can be real problems that are worth solving.