Why have a monk in your group?

If it's no bug or an idea, but it's still MUD-related, it goes here.

Moderator: Wizards

glorfindel
Hero

Why have a monk in your group?

#1 Post by glorfindel » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:14 am

Hello,

Why do you want a monk in your group/team?

I think this would come off a few weird ways so let me first clarify why I ask and what am Interested in:

I'm curious why somebody would invite a monk into their group if they do _anything_. Be it fighting, traveling to remote places, or just a chat. I do not wish to hear:
- Any thoughts regarding any existing character (especially not mine, I know why people invite glor ;) )
- Anything that requires the monk to be of master status (very high skills, shao specific 'magic' ).

Why do I ask? Because am really curious. And I'll likely not ask about monks alone. It's something that I feel personally am lacking: outside perspective. What makes it interesting to have a character of an occupational group (aside of personal ties) in your group ?

On the same note, I'd like to hear why you usually avoid a monk (if you do).

The outcome of this? Ideally giving me a more through impression as to how monks come of to the rest of geas. (Again not interested in anything that is related to my character, if you want those off your chest PM me).

luminier
Overlord

Re: Why have a monk in your group?

#2 Post by luminier » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:48 am

I would like to have a monk in Luminier's team if I was fighting something that could be knocked down with tackle/battlescream (trolls for example) and can't be "easily" tanked.

I would also like to have a -master- monk in Luminier's team if I was fighting undead with the danger of a Sathonite attack. It allows you to be as efficient as possible
The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world.

Zehren
Overlord

#3 Post by Zehren » Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:36 pm

I would take a monk with me, in the faint hope that, given monks are somewhat "intellectual" warriors, they *might* be able to provide useful ideas.
Drayn wrote:Zehren, the Karmassassin!

Delia
Overlord

#4 Post by Delia » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:46 am

Why no:

- all those chatty people give the meditating monk a headache and a foul temper to boot :)

Why yes:

- a monk brings a variety of tactics to the team combat environment even if the standard stand your ground and duke it out is out of the question. The problem is that the players will have to develop good coordination in order for the monk to be of significant use. Even if "I tackle, you follow-up" sounds simple enough, in reality it is not :D

- a monk can diversify himself a great deal and offer several support roles to the group. Monks make great scouts for example. Of course racial attributes play a role here.

- detaining people while having a shao in tow is easier. Tackle, shockpoke and hold(which I have not seen in action).

- shaos offer a unique perspective to the world around you. Even if it might be a borderline blasphemous one.

- most shaos are better educated than the average adventurer and atleast were supposed to become literate. They might know stuff.

- due to their way of life and disposition they make good negotiators and advisors and are more likely to give you the chance no one else will.
"To be is to do" - Sokrates
"To do is to be" - Jean-Paul Sartre
"Do be do be do" - Frank Sinatra

Delia
Overlord

#5 Post by Delia » Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:13 am

Why yes, continued...

- if you find yourself plagued by a goblinoid horde, just grab an experienced shao from the head, give him a gentle twirl and push him into the general direction of your enemies. Results guaranteed :)

- you can witness the miracle that is tacklethrow. 'nuff said.
"To be is to do" - Sokrates
"To do is to be" - Jean-Paul Sartre
"Do be do be do" - Frank Sinatra

Drayn
Hero

#6 Post by Drayn » Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:38 pm

Monks are actually great front line warriors. Being a caster and dawdling in either second or third row, it's great to have a monk twirling about and spinning over things and just generally not being hit, but distracting the nasty while the rest of us beat the snot out of it.

adanath
Champion

#7 Post by adanath » Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:05 pm

Adanath's beliefs:

1.) they are wise and he likes to ask them questions
2.) they fight evil
3.) they dance in the sky
4.) they have good manners and honour
5.) They are very effective at helping in team combat situations
6.) they turn flips
7.) at one point or another most have fed adanath
8.) WISDOM AND KNOWLEDGE (repeated), so many times Adanath has no idea what's going on, who is better to ask than a Shaolin\Monk or mage possibly.

Order stated does not mean order of importance.

Brom
Experienced

#8 Post by Brom » Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:46 pm

Because we are big ballers.

Kinatia
Beginner

#9 Post by Kinatia » Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:31 am

Because we're adorably cute and insecure and its fun to watch us flail about and try to be 'much braves and strongs and smarts'?

I am, of course, speaking about Glorfindel here. ;)

Zehren
Overlord

#10 Post by Zehren » Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:39 pm

Kinatia wrote:Because we're adorably cute and insecure and its fun to watch us flail about and try to be 'much braves and strongs and smarts'?

I agree, Glorfindel is adorably cute.
Drayn wrote:Zehren, the Karmassassin!

ceinna
Veteran

#11 Post by ceinna » Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:48 pm

Zehren wrote:
Kinatia wrote:Because we're adorably cute and insecure and its fun to watch us flail about and try to be 'much braves and strongs and smarts'?

I agree, Glorfindel is adorably cute.
I just had to giggle over this.