Cities/Guilds being Attacked

If it's no bug or an idea, but it's still MUD-related, it goes here.

Moderator: Wizards

mazarmormuk
Veteran

Re: Cities/Guilds being Attacked

#21 Post by mazarmormuk » Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:40 pm

I really like such ideas, it would bring a lot more sense and fun into the fighting scene. Although i imagine it pretty hard to be realized, especially if you want it to be fair and even.

Nevertheless i want to add a thing i was thinking about since a while, when Asrals earthly power went from weak to great and back to weak..without making any city/keep safer, or having really higher chances to rock or protect something.

There could maybe not only be the negative aspect of an invasion but also
a positive aspect in working on defences.
Different tasks maybe given by the city commanders could allow smaller
characters to work that way against the enemy and increase the standard amount of guards or snipers for example, or add special features to the city and its lands.

I think this exists (half) already with watchtowers, revenants, treeants, four-armed fire golems or that silver circle in elvandar, but this working in your playtime for the safety of your characters home or friends when you are absent is currently given to just a few (and strong) people/guilds.

I like when undeads spread all over when sathos are active, and i would wish that each player gets the possibility to change the surface of the mud somehow in his playtime.
.. and gets the chance to go against the current "winner of the mud", that is roaming your lands and is just too strong to be attacked.

And if a city then falls or gets occupied, all those additive effects could vanish, and - it then didnt just happen because your strongest guild member or city protector was sleeping.

Drayn
Hero

#22 Post by Drayn » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:41 am

fernao wrote:Hmm, nice ideas... getting enough people to partake in occupying might be a problem though, especially with the fact in mind that certain groups have quite a small personal roster to start with.
GOOD! Capturing a settlement should be a rare occurrence, not a weekly one :)

fernao
Champion

#23 Post by fernao » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:52 am

I was more pointing to the imbalance of, lets say 3 maybe 4 active sathos, compared to 2 or 3 taniels plus 2 or 3 crusaders plus 3 or 4 rangers plus mages/shaos and whatever other supporters they have.
Life is but a butterflies dream

luminier
Overlord

#24 Post by luminier » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:55 am

Psh, like Luminier has time for guard duty. He has Squires and Knights for that kind of wet work.

I am sure the Sathonites can install some nice zombie guards. It's happened in the Crusader castle already!

Really enjoy killing two revenants in my own guild hall :lol:
The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world.

fernao
Champion

#25 Post by fernao » Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:20 am

WEll.... if revenants or undeads were counted, the sathos would gain an unfair advantage in my eyes... Didn't want THAT to happen either. Should be a setting with both (all) sides having equal opportunities.

Maybe the duration of the occupation could be calculated in accordance to the activity of the respective guild members.... side A had 150 hours of online activity in the last time-frame by its members, side B had just 50. So the duration of the time that is needed for side B to occupy a building would be only a third of the normal time. Could also be it is a fixed amount plus an amount of time based on guild activity to meet certain minimum requirements.

Drayn
Hero

#26 Post by Drayn » Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:17 am

fernao wrote:I was more pointing to the imbalance of, lets say 3 maybe 4 active sathos, compared to 2 or 3 taniels plus 2 or 3 crusaders plus 3 or 4 rangers plus mages/shaos and whatever other supporters they have.
Learn to make friends :) I'm sure there will be alchemists/crafters/mages/scribes/freelancers/mercs who could be roped into doing the dark lords bidding for a short while :)

rex
Veteran

#27 Post by rex » Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:18 pm

fernao wrote:I was more pointing to the imbalance of, lets say 3 maybe 4 active sathos, compared to 2 or 3 taniels plus 2 or 3 crusaders plus 3 or 4 rangers plus mages/shaos and whatever other supporters they have.
I don't see balance being an issue here given that asador is harder to raid (said by wizards and rightfully so given the player number) and you can make undeads and revenants to reinforce your city which are stronger and harder to kill than 90% of the playerbase. I know your trying to look at the best interest of your character but lets be realistic here. Balance is not an issue.

I also do not like the idea of occupying an area that much. This is what I like and I will use Elevandor as an example:
Lanfin dies: stage 1 of city disaster- people are crying on the streets
beladan dies: stage 2 of disaster- worse things- people fighitng in streets
luthien dies- stage 3 of disaster- worse things- shops close or raise taxes
queen dies- stage 4 of disaster- worse things

If Lanfin, Beladan and the Queen die but not Luthien then perhaps only some things will occur but not all.

Now I don't think setting up 'goals' in raiding a city is a good idea. What I mean by that is I dont think the playerbase should know what causes a city to go form Disaster stage 1 --> 2. I think that players should simply go into the city (do your business, ie, kill the queen, steel the wrathbringer etc) and leave and whatever happens based on that happens.

Rex

fernao
Champion

#28 Post by fernao » Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:12 pm

We were talking of additional, yet to be introduced settlements that would be the target of "capture the flag" tactics. Not the main cities.