Post your comments about Geas here!

If it's no bug or an idea, but it's still MUD-related, it goes here.

Moderator: Wizards

Nylessa

Post your comments about Geas here!

#1 Post by Nylessa » Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:46 pm

I am currently looking to get a group of close to twenty of my friends from outside RP communites interested in geas as a game and roleplay, now, i don't expect all of them to join, but i'm more then willing to try!

Please, leave your comments and tell them your take on the game and what makes it fun to you, and what keeps you playing, or anything else you find might attract someone to the game.

I like geas a lot , myself, and if icould get geas's playerbase up and have some more people playing? I'd be happy to oblidge!

Do note that most of the people i'm speaking of are completly new to muds :)

Eluriel
Master

Re: Post your comments about Geas here!

#2 Post by Eluriel » Fri Sep 06, 2013 4:14 am

I love the combat system. It actually seems like you're partaking in a fight rather than watching a huge scroll of text roll by. It requires strategy, and there are a variety of styles you can choose.

I also love the quests. There are a billion of them! I love figuring things out and exploring the game. In all my time playing, I still haven't done them all.

You can actually talk to NPCs about certain things. The game has a life in that your actions affect your reputation in different areas, and the NPCs treat you differently accordingly.

I also appreciate the skill-based system, in that you get better at whichever skills you use, and you don't have to grind away at monsters just to reach the next level. You can learn pretty much any skill except guild-specific ones just by doing them.

Some parts of the game are amazingly complex. I have just barely touched on the magic system. You can experiment and discover new potions or magic spells.

You can write your own books!

The one thing that I dislike though is that it takes such an amount of time investment to get really good at things. For those players who play a lot, it can work fine, but if your time is limited it can take a long time to improve your character and get to a decent skill level.

Delia
Overlord

#3 Post by Delia » Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:38 am

The community here is nice. There have been heated discussions and opinions but I think there have not been any major flame wars. Of course someone might have taken something much more seriously than I tend to, but I have found the atmosphere relaxing.

Geas hosts a diverse variety of players. Some more intensively RP-oriented(not necessarily a merit, IMHO) than others but everyone seems to pull their own weight and add something to the world. There are several players that have sticked around for ages so newbies certainly do not lack any helpers.

Geas can be somewhat rough to start, I hear, depending on what you have been used to and the certain roughness does not ever end. Forostar is a rather dangerous place with several powerful continuous threats that give experienced warriors a real challenge. This said, many things are geared towards high level team work if you play the fighting game. In essence team work is encouraged no matter how high or low you are, which is nice. There are no powerhouses that can do everything alone.

Learn by doing is nice and the only thing that resembles ordinary levels is how many quests you have done(IMHO)as they give a rather big chunk of experience to stats. You can play a guildless character and feel like you are not missing out. Generally speaking, it is best not to rush into a guild. They are not all perks :)

Conflict can sometimes be a bit polarized between evil - good axis and religious conflicts are common. Sometimes it can become wearisome, sometimes there is a nice twist included making it more fun. PK is handled rather well and you should expect to meet a gruesome death eventually in the hands of other players. There is no hunting for sport, after a while it is rather easy to see where the danger lies depending on your affiliations.

Best part, the game itself contains almost zero death traps. Players can create no escape situations but rarely, very rarely you will enter a room and die without a warning. This has plagued some muds I have tried before Geas and it always drove me away.

Good / bad, depends how you wish to see it. Do not consider the game finished. New features, areas, stuff to do, etc trinkles down in to the world little by little. It also means new typos, bugs, complications that we will sort out with us players doing the stepping on mines bit. The staff here consists of very nice people who are willing to listen and it is not uncommon for a player idea to pop into the game world. So you might run into some weirdness while playing, not necessarily though. If that ruins the game for you, you might wish to reconsider. Though I suspect it happens with other games as well, more or less.

Me? I personally like Geas quite a bit and have haunted the game for some years now. There have been awesome fun times with this one :)

I guess this is plenty already.
"To be is to do" - Sokrates
"To do is to be" - Jean-Paul Sartre
"Do be do be do" - Frank Sinatra

Akulli
Experienced

#4 Post by Akulli » Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:48 am

Don't forget the most important thing of all!
We have cheesecake!
For he comes, the human child
To the waters and the wild
With a faery, hand in hand
From a world more full of weeping than he can understand

luminier
Overlord

#5 Post by luminier » Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:52 pm

Ill post the review I left on the MUD connector a while ago as well as give a link to the other reviews of GEAS.

http://www.mudconnect.com/mud-bin/prev/ ... 1&mud=1696

Even my review barely scratches the surface... theres actually so much to do.
The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world.

Devi
Hero

#6 Post by Devi » Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:10 am

Geas is terrific! The systems, administrators, and players are all memorable, impressive, and rewarding. I won't explain how they're great, since so many are already doing that, but maybe my tenure as Geas player is some evidence.

I'm one of the many who can't stop playing. Sure, I leave when I get busy with work or school, but every year, I find myself coming back for a few months. Even at times when I'm not playing, I still check the forums for updates and messages. This has been going on for nearly ten years, and I'm far from the oldest active player (Delia, Glorfindel...). In those years, Geas has improved so much (and I was already addicted from the very first moment). It's hard for me to imagine ever stopping for good.

The one caveat is that the game is very, very complex. When many of us started playing, the learning curve was much shallower. None of this reputation or karma stuff (wasn't it stated in stats?) or fatigue, etc. These are all amazing systems, but they are intricate and pervasive, making Geas very difficult to learn for a new player.