Rambling: My fading motivation to play

If it's no bug or an idea, but it's still MUD-related, it goes here.

Moderator: Wizards

ghalt
Master

Re: Rambling: My fading motivation to play

#41 Post by ghalt » Tue Jun 23, 2015 3:47 pm

I think I've figured out that you should only pvp, play at all even, with people you're friends or at least capable of being friendly with, which is not really how i've seen this place work. If someone wants to force you into some punitive interaction, they can. And.... the quit command's the only surefire way to stop that. >>

luminier
Overlord

#42 Post by luminier » Wed Jun 24, 2015 2:06 am

ghalt wrote:I think I've figured out that you should only pvp, play at all even, with people you're friends or at least capable of being friendly with, which is not really how i've seen this place work. If someone wants to force you into some punitive interaction, they can. And.... the quit command's the only surefire way to stop that. >>
Yeah, I agree with that. For PVP and RP like you said.

Usually quitting until the other person leaves would fix the situation haha :lol: ..... too bad that's the only solution!
The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world.

Olrane
Champion

#43 Post by Olrane » Sun Jul 12, 2015 5:19 pm

The game seems so dead right now. :cry:

I don't mind spending an hour or two grinding and doing routines, but as I pass along cities and roads I'm still not running into people often to have scenes. I feel like the active population dropped from ~50 to ~25 since I started back up in May. Alas, I really hope it climbs back up again before I feel that it's no longer worth my time.

ferranifer
Champion

#44 Post by ferranifer » Tue Jul 14, 2015 8:01 am

It is really slow at the moment. I guess it's the holidays. There was quite some activity in March-May, guessing it was due to the Asral/Elves conflict, but now it all has kind of died out.

Maybe we could think on an arc that is compelling to multiple factions that we can try to get going? People tend to show up when stuff happens, specially when it challenges their status quo/mission).

Skragna
Champion

#45 Post by Skragna » Tue Jul 14, 2015 6:24 pm

I still think we need to start a new guild. One that is ostensibly neutral, like the shaolin, but leans (typically) toward chaos and war rather than peace. Say... Mercenaries.

This would definitely inject new life into the game, at least, and if they were treated in a manner similarly to the way skalds used to be, but NOT given any special skills or really any special equipment until one joins more formally, (at this point they'd be penalized for leaving) it would allow plenty of characters to get up to mischief without going totally evil.

Olrane
Champion

#46 Post by Olrane » Wed Jul 15, 2015 1:47 am

Skragna, that's the Rogue's Guild.

It's a neutral guild for avaricious characters*. There's plenty of room for the guild to widen itself a bit for warrior-type characters, but the basic principle certainly houses mercenaries.

Is there significant code support for warriors to get bonuses from it? No. What they get access to is a network and exclusive communication skills, some unique equipment. I don't think everyone in there needs to be an absolute master of cloak and dagger. But a character who is more on the mercenary/fighter side would need to be intelligent and understand the tradeoff he is making.

*Being unscrupulous and for-profit is what unifies the guild, not sneakiness or anything of the sort.

P.S. Splitting the playerbase into more mainguilds is a really bad design choice, anyway. There's a reason that there isn't an Assassin's guild. Guilds have to have central motivations that drive inter-guild and intra-guild roleplay.

ferranifer
Champion

#47 Post by ferranifer » Wed Jul 15, 2015 6:42 am

I agree. We don't need more guilds. Also, Skragna, the Asrals are what you were describing, minus the religious and political obligations.

I do wish rogues were a bit easier to join. I generally dislike mechanics that require critical mass and our face-to-face guild invite mechanisms are one of them. I wish guilds that use those mechanics had a proxy fallback (for example an NPC which can follow instructions from a player on who to recruit/promote/train).

I don't think we need new mechanics or any code support to get things going though. What we need is players. And the number one thing that ALWAYS makes players come back is conflict. So we need those pot stirrers to get to work and all the heroes to get involved and invest into the plot.

luminier
Overlord

#48 Post by luminier » Wed Jul 15, 2015 9:14 pm

Agreed, players

Asraline
Journeyman

#49 Post by Asraline » Thu Jul 16, 2015 4:46 am

I'm on the same boat. Conflict is the wheel of every story.

But, where to start? Should each one of us try to get into something organically? Should we try to gather in a player group and discuss what can we do with the characters we have? What?
Nibbler: I didn't travel back in time! My people lack that ability.
Fry: But... I know you in the future! I clean your poop!
Nibbler: Quite possible. We live long and are celebrated poopers.

-Futurama

mazarmormuk
Veteran

#50 Post by mazarmormuk » Sat Jul 18, 2015 6:32 pm

havent played for while, so i dont really know what and who s on exactly, but..

My sister plays the table versions, and in her game, the team gets a big task to solve. Additionally each player gets a personal task to follow beside to the main team task.
Also, one of the players gets the task to destroy the realization of the teams task.

Maybe forget about the disadvantages your char might suffer if you do something,
and see those doing something as your friends at table giving you the chance to have fun
instead of trying to destroy them

as an example (if you re not a straight follower of evren):
go to that valley and hunt golden boars..for you its just a boar with a golden fur, and they are so tasty!
*shrug*

Asraline
Journeyman

#51 Post by Asraline » Fri Sep 25, 2015 10:00 am

Okay, guys. So, to sum up we need:

a. Objectives (either individual or collective)
b. Characters bold enough to go through them.
and c. Characters who react to their actions.

From these three aspects there should bloom a conflict. Or, if not conflict, at least some sort of plot to keep roleplaying.

I do not include the 'don't-forget-you-play-with-people' because that was discussed in several topics before. And, seeing the results of the "How should we treat each other?" thread, I'd rather to trust the community and take that for a lesson learned.
Nibbler: I didn't travel back in time! My people lack that ability.
Fry: But... I know you in the future! I clean your poop!
Nibbler: Quite possible. We live long and are celebrated poopers.

-Futurama

Aturshus
Veteran

#52 Post by Aturshus » Wed Sep 30, 2015 12:11 pm

After dying five times to the same bug, I really haven't felt like playing. The bug is fixed now, at least. Thanks Turian. You've been working hard lately, I see.

luminier
Overlord

#53 Post by luminier » Wed Sep 30, 2015 7:02 pm

If you have proof you died to a bug you can get your deaths reversed

anglachel
Site Admin

#54 Post by anglachel » Thu Oct 01, 2015 6:49 am

If you die to a bug your vitality will be restored and lost items will be replaced. Of course you must write a mail to admin or contract one direct.

Delia
Overlord

#55 Post by Delia » Wed Jan 20, 2016 5:30 am

I have been having a bit of fun lately. You can have some too, if you try.

I really liked the oracle as knowing there are things you do not know can give you that extra something. Personally I like exploring a lot, even if I am lazy at it. I fear the day when the oracle says you know everything already...

Timezones are a bit of a bummer though, as they always have been. I always see people on the who list but I rarely meet them. Nice to have some regular new(and old)characters though!
"To be is to do" - Sokrates
"To do is to be" - Jean-Paul Sartre
"Do be do be do" - Frank Sinatra

anglachel
Site Admin

#56 Post by anglachel » Wed Jan 20, 2016 7:46 am

I always try to add such small 'Miniquests' then possible. So i hope, i am bit quicker to implement as the the players with explore.
There at least two spots, that are not discovered by anyone and a few which only discovered by one or two players.
So the 'know everything' for whole 'Geas' is still bit away.

ferranifer
Champion

#57 Post by ferranifer » Wed Jan 20, 2016 12:52 pm

anglachel wrote:There at least two spots, that are not discovered by anyone and a few which only discovered by one or two players. So the 'know everything' for whole 'Geas' is still bit away.
I think this is something that most players don't realize. It'd be interesting to hear why only a handful of players end up doing most of the discovery. It's natural that some people lean towards exploring more than others but I do wonder if people have difficulties finding new places due to syntax problems or inconsistency issues. Also, I think most old players will be less prone to re-search in a room they have already "explored" so they will miss on new stuff that gets added.

Maybe there could be a non-spoilery way to tell us when new content is added? It can be an OOC note like "New area added in the Elvandar region." or even better something IC like rumors from the beggars, a note in a board or a couple emotes in a room.

Anyways, I think it's undeniable that new content is a major reason people find new motivation to play and enjoy the game again. We should our best to let people know when there is new content.

anglachel
Site Admin

#58 Post by anglachel » Wed Jan 20, 2016 1:48 pm

The problem are not the new areas. It is new content in old areas. There are hints, that some is new. An extra sentence in the room description, new room message and so on. But it seems that player often are not aware enough to noticed it.
Also not all news areas can be announced. "There is now a secret <xxx> in/at <yyy>" would spoil too much. For areas which can be entered on a normal way is such a announcement a good idea.

Arsicas
Master

#59 Post by Arsicas » Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:56 pm

I know there are some areas I have yet to explore because my character is too weak to face certain monsters in the area. Or at least I strongly assume such. I don't know, maybe if I got a big group together we could go exploring. I know Delia has recently posted a want to explore certain areas, but I'm not sure my char would be much help. :P Maybe if I just sit back and fire arrows at things.
Duncan hisses in Common: love not keepzss zssomeone alive
You speak softly in Common: Sometimes it's all that keeps one
alive.
You smile slightly.

luminier
Overlord

#60 Post by luminier » Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:30 am

When you have someone to take the hits for you, firing arrows at things is super effective!

Just need to find someone who likes to wear chain or plate and strap a metal square to their arm.