Combat specials for mounted fights

If it's no bug or an idea, but it's still MUD-related, it goes here.

Moderator: Wizards

luminier
Overlord

Re: Combat specials for mounted fights

#41 Post by luminier » Tue Jan 20, 2015 2:49 am

Aslak wrote:I would very much be against standard specials available while mounted. Being mounted has advantages, so it should have disadvantages as well. As well I do not think dismounting and mounting in combat should work like it does today.

What I could think might work though would be a slightly higher chance to hit with base attack due to height advantage.
If specials are needed it should be specials only available from horseback, like a lancecharge (if that is not only available) or a special to ride down a foe.
I agree with all you've said, but, it's been a year without mounted specials at all. Maybe until there are mounted specials or mount buffs, we could have our specials back?

Delia wrote:Or charging past the enemy team formation to hit that pesky archer/priest/mage at the back.
This skill actually exists, I just have no idea who teaches it! "skill charge"
The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world.

Delia
Overlord

#42 Post by Delia » Tue Jan 20, 2015 3:49 am

Just thought it could be automatically available as a riding+mounted combat ability as well.
"To be is to do" - Sokrates
"To do is to be" - Jean-Paul Sartre
"Do be do be do" - Frank Sinatra

luminier
Overlord

#43 Post by luminier » Fri Feb 06, 2015 6:07 pm

Interestingly enough, I asked louis about why it is no longer possible to use specials from a mount, he had no idea.

He said he would ask the almighty Turian.

If I get a response Ill update everyone here
The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world.

fernao
Champion

#44 Post by fernao » Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:46 pm

A suggestion...

There are currently no "advanced" specials for the fighter-specials ensnarl, knee, shieldbash or slam.

How about making a mounted version of those specials, that would require mounted combat at e.g. 60 to perform while being mounted. The double requirement of special at 60 and mounted combat at 60 should be sufficiently hard to reach to allow the use of this limited set of specials while fighting mounted. Unmounted, the advanced versions would have no additional effect or not even work.
I excluded disarm, guard and headbutt intentionally since those don't make much sense being used while being mounted. Well, a mounted version of guard could maybe switch the attackers from the horse to the rider.
Life is but a butterflies dream

Arsicas
Master

#45 Post by Arsicas » Sat Apr 22, 2017 2:42 am

I'm not really sure how one would use knee while mounted, but I've thought before that slam should be able to work while mounted. Haven't had any experience with ensnarl or shieldbash though.
Duncan hisses in Common: love not keepzss zssomeone alive
You speak softly in Common: Sometimes it's all that keeps one
alive.
You smile slightly.

fernao
Champion

#46 Post by fernao » Sat Apr 22, 2017 1:22 pm

Well, the knee special on horseback would be more like a kick where one leg is held in the stirrups and the other leg would move freely on one side of the horse.
As for ensnarl, well, its a whip, therefore long enough to reach a target from horseback. So it should work from horseback too.
And finally shieldbash. Well, I always considered shieldbash to be more or less a special slam where you use the shield instead of a one-handed weapon. So it should work the same as slam in that respect.
Life is but a butterflies dream