I had enough

If it's no bug or an idea, but it's still MUD-related, it goes here.

Moderator: Wizards

Allalltar
Master

I had enough

#1 Post by Allalltar » Tue May 27, 2014 8:00 am

Hi,

those who know me a bit, is that I don't usually am the public interface to this mud, I lean back, watch and focus on those tasks that are in my domain and am not often seen posting public things. The following is my personal opinion and I write it after reading a bunch of comments in several threads. It is no official opinion by any means and does not represent the statement of the Admin of geas at all. Just one very angry person. Me.

I really had enough. Is this really how you perceive us? Really how you think we work? Just for own gain? just doing random stuff without thinking it through?

It seems sure easy and fun to paint us in bad lights, tell others how cheaty we are and whatnot.

If I read feedback like that, I feel like I am wasting my time. And I'm seriously considering changing that.

Allalltar

P. S. I'm sorry for all those of you who are well meaning, I had to get this off my chest.

ferranifer
Champion

Re: I had enough

#2 Post by ferranifer » Tue May 27, 2014 8:13 am

No. Just no. I think you'll find that the general sentiment is that the staff of this game puts a lot of thought on the changes they do to the game and more often than not you guys come up with inventive fresh ways to address VERY difficult problems. I am grateful for that.

Allalltar and all the rest of the staff: you are awesome and what you guys do is greatly appreciated. Don't let the recent wave of negative comments get under your skin.

ceinna
Veteran

#3 Post by ceinna » Tue May 27, 2014 8:25 am

I think the forums need a like button so I can like Ferranfirs comment.

Ottarr
Professional

#4 Post by Ottarr » Tue May 27, 2014 10:15 am

I don't view you or other admins like that. You do a good job, the stuff put into the game doesn't seem random or cheaty. Very well thought of really.

louis
Champion

#5 Post by louis » Wed May 28, 2014 4:03 am

Well, I have to agree with Alla, fully.

I am very well aware that is was only /one/ person posting that ... content, but of course, it is not very amusing to be considered as .. what was that ... powergamers perferring, completely brainless idiots .. or something like that? :mrgreen:

Anyway, we all are willing to assume, that the author just had a bad day 2 days ago.

PS:
We can discuss anything at the forums, but in a civilized and professional way. And let me add this, I personally do not think that any change in the last decade was only added to reduce your fun in the game, infact we wizards TRY to code for nothing else but for your fun. Will we always succeed? Nope. But maybe sometimes.

ghalt
Master

#6 Post by ghalt » Wed May 28, 2014 5:56 pm

Man: Everything you (and the other codes) do here is done for free on your own time, when you could be, I don't know, watching tv or doing literally anything else with your time.

I try to be appreciative when talking to you guys, thanking when bugs are fixed and so on, but honestly I only really post here to bring up things I think are problems or to debate with other players on stuff (or you know to post funny quotes)--other players may vary, but I'm not going to come here to post "everything's working right! cool!" ^_^ I'm... just not going to say anything.

So... well, I appreciate what you guys do, and have gotten many hours of enjoyment out of this game, credit to the work other people did for freesies.

Aturshus
Veteran

#7 Post by Aturshus » Thu May 29, 2014 1:50 am

Gotta say, I haven't been involved with this game much or at all anymore, and have no idea what's going on. I'll toss my two cents in here and let you guys know that it's pretty awesome that you take time out of your lives to work on this, though.

luminier
Overlord

#8 Post by luminier » Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:27 pm

I've disagreed with some of the stuff some of the wizards did especially the ones that affected my play style is a big way.

But there is also a lot of cool things that were done too. I wish I cared enough to learn to code to help you guys in doing cool stuff, but, I am too lazy. So kudos from an old player
The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world.

Delia
Overlord

#9 Post by Delia » Fri Jun 06, 2014 2:55 am

People tend to get emotional ove their emotional investments. That is sometimes unfortunate and always unavoidable. Old players are often prone to this as the game has changed a lot over time. Let's face it. I can hardly recognize the game as it was when I started playing.

There have been times I have struggled to come to terms with the changes but in the end I have managed to see the positive aspects and effects of the change. I have reacted negatively(hopely not overtly so)mainly because I tend to react negatively towards change in general. Change makes me so suspicious! I have also reacted negatively because of how my character had been affected which is quite funny because I have alway managed to derive more enjoyement afterwards when I have been forced to adapt as a player.

What am I trying to say here? Nothing much I suppose but Geas will continue to change, like it or not and it never is about you in particular. Everything affects everything so changing one bit will always cause unforeseen consequences and the coders have limited time on their hands. If you look at the big picture, there has been a strive for an illusion of balance(everything being truly balanced would be quite dull)and nice things for everyone. If they could magically code it all at once I am sure they would.

Anyhoo, rant off, love the wizzies.
"To be is to do" - Sokrates
"To do is to be" - Jean-Paul Sartre
"Do be do be do" - Frank Sinatra