Why do you....

If it's no bug or an idea, but it's still MUD-related, it goes here.

Moderator: Wizards

Dekhan
Beginner

Why do you....

#1 Post by Dekhan » Fri Jun 24, 2005 8:50 pm

Why do you play the race that you do?

I play as a halfling purely because we can get away with so much more than anyone else could. Hugging any female that comes around because we're "cute", being extra cheeky without having people draw their weapons at us because "halflings are just like that", getting to sneak up on almost any conversation (Im a gossip :D )... the list goes on. I love the roleplay value of a halfling who isnt a common thief. Though that's fun too...

*thinks of Kortha's chocolate eggs*
Deranged but fun!

tessa
Overlord

#2 Post by tessa » Fri Jun 24, 2005 9:59 pm

I played Tessa as an elf because the character was designed to survive off her wits and speed, wasn't ever supposed to be strong, and she was supposed to be a 'delicate' girl who was supposed to have a talent with crafts and things. I felt those traits would work better with an elf character over any of the others.

I'm more of a fan of characters that rely on their brains over their muscles. Although it can be frustrating on GEAS not being able to hold well in a fight, I enjoy the non-combat crafts I can get involved in.

iza
Veteran

#3 Post by iza » Fri Jun 24, 2005 10:34 pm

Human or half-elves

1. My favorite classes are the fighter/mage combos (ex.templar, warlock, in geas case Asralites) and usually half-elves or human are the ones best suited to be them. If you can't beat something with your brawns beat the with your brains.

For me its not so much i like to leader in parties but i don't like having weak characters and being forced to depend on others all the time to do anything fun. If someone leaves i still like to continue doing whatever it is i'm doing, even if alone. Its just too fustrating for otherwise.

2. I find there is much more RP potiential at the psychological level with human and half-elf then any other race (elves are up there too but guess but they are still not quite human enough for me). Also I find I can Rp betrayal, pride, anger and a variety of other emotions much better with those two races then any other

tarlon
Veteran

#4 Post by tarlon » Mon Jun 27, 2005 3:46 pm

I simply like dwarves! I prefer them in most Roleplay games. Dwarves are simply utterly cool. Small but tough, stubburn like rock, and always funny to play. Even though i am not a dwarf in real live( kay not realy a tall guy just 1,80cm). But i like a good beer from time to time as well. And sometimes I am as stubburn as a dwarf :)
So dwarves are fun.
And second reason
I had another Tarlon dwarven cleric in another mud witch i had lots of nice mud sessions :)

tannorath
Experienced

#5 Post by tannorath » Tue Jun 28, 2005 6:22 am

I play halfling because it seemd like a challenge when i first chose the race! It is a bit different then how i first imagined it, but in time, i grew found of it , so here i am :) Tannorath the halfling, at your service !

stilgar
Champion

#6 Post by stilgar » Sun Jul 17, 2005 1:54 am

I was and I'm utterly in love with elves.. as you already recognised..

and Yes.. I'm trying to prove the statement: speed is my armour (ehehe not much luck so far but I won't give it up!)
Future is NOT what it used to be

Pecs, European Capital of Culture 2010

tessa
Overlord

#7 Post by tessa » Sun Jul 17, 2005 5:06 am

stilgar wrote:and Yes.. I'm trying to prove the statement: speed is my armour (ehehe not much luck so far but I won't give it up!)
You'd have better luck with a halfling. ;)

stilgar
Champion

#8 Post by stilgar » Sun Jul 17, 2005 7:42 am

We choose to go to the moon. We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not only because they are easy, but because they are hard
I'm trying to live my life like that. Easy tasks are for the mob :twisted:
Future is NOT what it used to be

Pecs, European Capital of Culture 2010

Delia
Overlord

#9 Post by Delia » Fri Aug 12, 2005 10:00 am

I propably play an elf because of their longevity...I almost made a human character...it was THIS close, but somehow seeing Geas for the first time, reading about it on the mudconnector, gave me a feeling that this might be a long-time relationship, so therefore the elf, because I would feel plain silly playing a human character whose age exceeds the human lifespan at some point...or in the worst case would feel absolutely devastated if the character in question dies because of natural aging, permanently.
This brings a question, not related to this forum but here it goes...how are extremely old characters and their inevitable aging handled in Geas?
"To be is to do" - Sokrates
"To do is to be" - Jean-Paul Sartre
"Do be do be do" - Frank Sinatra

korsario
Experienced

#10 Post by korsario » Sat Aug 13, 2005 11:14 am

When I did kors was kinda as a joke, and for fun, rollplayed him really dumb, even more than now yes :P. I also picked the tshahark to test out the race as warrior, as they brutes by nature, but with zero brain, just funny :twisted:

On the other hand, the time effects on geas... hmmm I dont think it would be a good thing having chars dying of aging in geas. Imagine so much work in a char and then puff, he starts to get aging illness and one day log in to check that your beloved char had died of a heart attack *g* And what then, reincarnate? :P Well, I think its ok the way it is... and if want you ever can rp your char older. I do it, and Yegerfin and mathias are whole day calling kors granpa :P

iza
Veteran

#11 Post by iza » Sun Aug 14, 2005 12:00 am

I could be wrong but i have a feeling there is no permanent death or loss in stat/vitality in game as you age. Human chars more then anyone else will probably suffer from aging...but only RP wise i think. And again only in the sense that people will start calling you old timer and other names relating to your age, young chars won't appraise yours and think 'hot stuff'. But again we are talking what 7-10 RL years to get to 70-80?Its usually more then the life span of the regular char.

The oldest human char i've ever met was a female one hitting almost forty or fifty. Her plan was to play her a little bit more then retire her by getting her to search for the 'fountain of youth', then start a new one.

Its funny but mechanics of the game might take care of the aging process.
Its usually the vets that are recovering from "they lost count" of how many deaths, and as time passes your not as enthusticastic about killing the same troll or meet the odd newbie/alt, so you tend to hang around more and do nothing but chat, which always seemed to me as a sign of being old.

If it weren't for the fact that half-elves are so damn cool to play and RP, i would have loved for the aging process humans get...just so much RP potential in that...
Geas. Imagination sold separately.

Abharsair
Site Admin

#12 Post by Abharsair » Sun Aug 14, 2005 3:46 pm

Aging has no impact on a character. At least not a technical one. And to be honest, I would be opposed to that in any case. We have several people who play their human characters now for six to seven years (36-42 IC years) and they'd be now seriously affected by decaying eye-sight, slower reflexes, less strength and constitution, etc. I'm somewhat doubtful they'd appreciate having that effect on their human characters, while elves and dwarves happily bounce around. Well, there are two options under which aging could be implemented: 1) We give the short-lived races some advantages over the long-lived ones to compensate the aging, or 2) we make an IC year equal to one RL year. But frankly, none of those two possibilities thrill me.
"The beatings will continue until morale improves."

lirynel
Veteran

#13 Post by lirynel » Sun Aug 14, 2005 4:11 pm

Abharsair wrote: or 2) we make an IC year equal to one RL year. .
The newbies 'born' at the start of winter would soon get tired of all that shivering and give up, I'm sure :)

iza
Veteran

#14 Post by iza » Sun Aug 14, 2005 10:08 pm

I think aging is fine the way it is...like i said the mechanics of the game already seems to take care of it...I would just make it so that certain older chars don't have young or adolecent in front of their short descs :twisted:
Geas. Imagination sold separately.

tessa
Overlord

#15 Post by tessa » Mon Aug 15, 2005 4:53 am

You remember a Jezz, mysterious adolescent male human

Isn't he like, 40 something? ;)

shannon
Wizard

#16 Post by shannon » Tue Aug 16, 2005 3:39 am

well... I prefer humans and.... tshaharks. humans cause I usually don't like to play other races and seldom have done this and tshaharks... uhm... just because. is this enough? :roll:

anglachel
Site Admin

#17 Post by anglachel » Tue Aug 16, 2005 3:43 am

shannon wrote:well... I prefer humans and.... tshaharks. humans cause I usually don't like to play other races and seldom have done this and tshaharks... uhm... just because. is this enough? :roll:
It is possible that you play tshaharks, because they base on one of your ideas :wink:

shannon
Wizard

#18 Post by shannon » Tue Aug 16, 2005 3:46 am

anglachel wrote:It is possible that you play tshaharks, because they base on one of your ideas :wink:
uhm no.... that's impossible. ;)

korsario
Experienced

#19 Post by korsario » Tue Aug 16, 2005 6:26 am

Yeah, I've heard rumours you are guilty in some ways Shannon... and yes, you are my hero...
Ok, about aging, I think its cool the way it is, and I liked that point of view of someone that said that people tends to play chars more old according with the online time. Its true.

jezz
Hero

#20 Post by jezz » Tue Aug 16, 2005 9:37 am

Jezz is older than 40 (I guess), and he still lives with his parents, is finishing his career (5 years more and he will be done), and now and then, rules the Church of Sathonys :)

So yeah, he's _still_ an adolescent char ^^