Newbie Area Farming

If it's no bug or an idea, but it's still MUD-related, it goes here.

Moderator: Wizards

ceinna
Veteran

Newbie Area Farming

#1 Post by ceinna » Sun Sep 27, 2020 11:24 pm

Hey - so this is something I see pretty regular. "Older" larger characters who go through the nibbler hut and such looking for quick scalps or gear.

Especially if you do happen to be in one of those areas and low levels walk in, leave it to them. Most of us older characters can go hunt just about anywhere on the mud being honest - even if its with a small group.

Can we please remember we have a pretty consistent flow of "lower level" characters and there are really limited places they can train. I hate seeing new characters get frustrated because they walk in and everything they can hunt is dead.

This was the reason why the gremlins - who used to all carry silver coins - no longer do. Because older characters were taking advantage of it.

The game needs to be fun for everyone.

I'll get off my soap box now.

Israfel
Veteran

Re: Newbie Area Farming

#2 Post by Israfel » Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:01 am

Probably also the reason guards were added to the thildens - to keep out the ultimate threat to Forostar; lazy midbies. In all seriousness it's a real nuissance and will turn new players off immediately, especially if the higher player is just blasting through and not even acknowledging them or their attempts to RP the situation. The benefit to a high level player is so small and insignificant it surprises me they'd even bother to be honest. Can think of a few hundred things that are a better use of time :).

Delia
Overlord

#3 Post by Delia » Mon Sep 28, 2020 2:10 pm

I confess, I used the nibbler hut for thief skill farming. It was just too convenient and saved lots and lots of time.
"To be is to do" - Sokrates
"To do is to be" - Jean-Paul Sartre
"Do be do be do" - Frank Sinatra

ceinna
Veteran

#4 Post by ceinna » Mon Sep 28, 2020 6:22 pm

I get that its convenient, but it still sucks for new characters. Especially when older characters SEE them enter, and then continue to kill everything in the area. Thats just disheartening to characters who have at best very few hunting area options.

Brand
Journeyman

#5 Post by Brand » Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:58 pm

Using the chests for traps, I dont think such an issue. Most newbies cant manage the traps by themselves anyhow, and unless someone is snagging the few coins there, no biggie.
But yes, people rolling through and looking for numerous quick kills just so they can snag all the armour and weapons to sell, well thats crap.

Actually I think it helps some of the newbs to disarm traps.

Delia
Overlord

#6 Post by Delia » Tue Sep 29, 2020 4:27 am

I very rarely killed the nibblers. I usually used them for catch blade training while waiting for some newbie to appear. Killing the one nibbler in front of a newbie with a Shao move was a recruiting tactic though.
"To be is to do" - Sokrates
"To do is to be" - Jean-Paul Sartre
"Do be do be do" - Frank Sinatra

ceinna
Veteran

#7 Post by ceinna » Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:35 am

What you are saying makes sense Delia. And that isn't what we are talking about. Ive known characters who would go in and do things like disarm all of them. The issue is when people go in and leave nothing for newbies to fight.