Using Logs IC

If it's no bug or an idea, but it's still MUD-related, it goes here.

Moderator: Wizards

ceinna
Veteran

Using Logs IC

#1 Post by ceinna » Wed Sep 30, 2020 1:26 pm

Hey - so, just something I want other peoples opinions of.

Ive run into situations where people want to know "exactly" what someone said. I always try to avoid giving exact "they said this word for word" because I know for a fact that in real life there is NO WAY I could remember what someone said to me a week, a month, even longer ago.

What do people think about others using logs for direct quotes like this? Its a point of extreme irritation for me and Im just wondering if other people find it as immersion breaking as I do?

poCei

Delia
Overlord

Re: Using Logs IC

#2 Post by Delia » Wed Sep 30, 2020 1:47 pm

If your character has epic+ mentals then why not? I mean it could be possible. All in all I would avoid quoting word for word though, mentals be what may. It is more fun to breathe life to a character through quirks and flaws with the simplest flaw being not remembering everything 100%. I have found this behaviour becoming more common during PvP when people start being out to win. Remember, losing is fun! And intentionally setting yourself on the bad end of the stick by roleplaying remembering something wrong can be refreshing too.
"To be is to do" - Sokrates
"To do is to be" - Jean-Paul Sartre
"Do be do be do" - Frank Sinatra

Brand
Journeyman

#3 Post by Brand » Fri Oct 02, 2020 10:44 am

The recent challenge has been some characters that insist on "I want to know exactly what was said", "But what did they say exactly", etc then when you cant / wont/ dont give a direct quote "well maybe you are just remembering wrong","you are being too sensitive","I dont think thats what they said/meant".
So holding to roleplay and not sending an actual log of an event to 'prove' what someone said then its just dismissed and not actually discussed.
Seems to me a quite lazy way to just not have conflict, when the conflict can be the source of the greatest fun in the game.

Arsicas
Master

#4 Post by Arsicas » Fri Oct 02, 2020 1:46 pm

Hm, I'd never ask someone to "prove" what was said exactly. Although, yeah, sometimes the nuance of what is said can make a difference. But misunderstandings happen too! And maybe someone doesn't believe you when you say that's what was said. I would just rp it out.
Duncan hisses in Common: love not keepzss zssomeone alive
You speak softly in Common: Sometimes it's all that keeps one
alive.
You smile slightly.

Zehren
Overlord

#5 Post by Zehren » Fri Dec 11, 2020 12:36 pm

use logs for epic mental clarity if it fits your character, don't use if not.

Insisting on everyone having 100% perfect memory is ridiculous. Just send the characters in question to the mental asylum.
Drayn wrote:Zehren, the Karmassassin!