Specials

If it's no bug or an idea, but it's still MUD-related, it goes here.

Moderator: Wizards

stilgar
Champion

#21 Post by stilgar » Mon Jan 23, 2006 7:22 am

Ok, I think I got my answers here.. will start to train twohanded weapons :wink:
Future is NOT what it used to be

Pecs, European Capital of Culture 2010

Delia
Overlord

#22 Post by Delia » Mon Jan 23, 2006 11:15 am

Yeah, weapon use is mandatory for Shaolin. Ok, it would be cool if an 100% unarmed Shaolin could actually do something, but...style is not an issue here.
"To be is to do" - Sokrates
"To do is to be" - Jean-Paul Sartre
"Do be do be do" - Frank Sinatra

yandros
Wizard

#23 Post by yandros » Tue Jan 24, 2006 9:11 am

I still think that comparing a shaolin against an armoured warrior is like comparing a guy with a sword against a guy with a gun. No way to make a comparison at all.

Yandros.

yegerfin
Journeyman

#24 Post by yegerfin » Tue Jan 24, 2006 10:39 am

yandros wrote:I still think that comparing a shaolin against an armoured warrior is like comparing a guy with a sword against a guy with a gun. No way to make a comparison at all.
Well, yes, but then it might be also like comparing a tshahark and human ;) I guess that's why game balance issue overrides those of realistic ones...

I gotta stop moving from topic to topic... :)

Itenin
Journeyman

#25 Post by Itenin » Fri Jan 27, 2006 12:18 am

Well, just to add my 2 cents to the whole thing...

Shao-Lin specials, in my opinion, are well-balanced when viewed as an addition to the regular fighter specials. When they are seen as a complete replacement to the combat specials they do seem to be lacking, but no one ever said we were restricted to using only martial arts. It makes sense, as Abhs said, for balance issues.

The only two skills I haven't found much use for are hold, for the reasons Yegerfin stated (just doesn't work too often), and the needle set, only because its alternatives are often more desireable.

Martial arts do have some circumstantial penalties that are somewhat substantial though. As many have said you are pretty much pigeon holed into using weapons in order to be effective pvp, so it would be nice to simply allow them to be used with weapons equipped instead of mapping aliases for different weapon sets creating a copious amounts of spam (especially if you mistime a special), possibly marginalizing your basic attacks, and completely rendering one MA special in particular useless. Understandably we also can't use heavy armours while performing specials, but its even worse that deflect is pretty much nill with any two handed weapon. It's livable, but you had better get the first hit in or you'll be very glad heavy armors won't be weighing you down for a quick retreat.

Overall, I'm pleased with what I have. Some of the specials have more pvp purpose and others I use strictly for NPC's, which I think is what the general idea for the skills were. To be well-rounded.

To agree on some of the larger points:

-Many detrimental effects don't last long enough for the ability to even refresh let alone reapply. I can only think of one that lasts for a significant amount of time.

-Combat specials, even those with greater effects armoured, are more damaging and critical more often unarmoured than the MA specials designed to have similar effects.

-Fighting unarmed effectively in pvp isn't happening.

-All the above sounds fair enough to me.

jezz
Hero

#26 Post by jezz » Fri Jan 27, 2006 12:19 pm

If there are problems with the effects of specials, duration and such, then I think that's a matter of shaolin ooc board and talking with the guild wizard ;)

You can't compare a guy with a gun with a guy with a sword, but you can compare a guy with a gun in the middle of a circular room, with a guy with a sword hiding behind pilled boxes around the room, sneaking closer and closer.

What I mean, is that a shaolin thinking he can go straight to a fighter and beat him should fail (we're talking about an average shaolin vs an average fighter). For the same reason that an average fighter would lose fighting an average tshahark fighter and surely against an average tshahark shaolin.

Every guild, every race and every style of play has its advantages and weakness. And I see nearly impossible to be effective against anythiing and trust me, I spend quite some time thinking about how to beat my enemies or possible enemies (or allies).

Still, as I said, the fact that a special does the effect too little times or deals too little damage is not a topic to be discussed here, but rather at shaolin board ;)