Asador vs Elvandar

If it's no bug or an idea, but it's still MUD-related, it goes here.

Moderator: Wizards

Delmon
Champion

Re: Asador vs Elvandar

#41 Post by Delmon » Fri Dec 18, 2020 3:48 pm

I have an idea for Elvandar to buff it up a little. What if the patrol, represented by three guilds (3 chars) (shaolin/crusaders/taniels) were to send a tell to the guild lines when attacked AND run to the gates when the gates were attacked. That way, strategically, the raiding party has a choice of surprise and facing a superior NPC force at the gates, or giving PC chars a warning, either way adding an additional tactic decision while adding some realism.

I could also see the patrol slowing tracking and chasing enemies into the forest, though I imagine thats very difficult to code effectively. Just another idea.

ferranifer
Champion

#42 Post by ferranifer » Fri Dec 18, 2020 4:49 pm

As a regular slayer of the patrol and a former Elvandar raiding aficionado... I really don't think that adding more NPCs will help the situation.

When I raided Elvandar with Phelan and with a certain Order character, NPCs were dying pretty much instantly. No amount of NPCs would have slowed us down unless they got a lucky twohander hit (this is why they should have twohanders by the way, any other type of melee does not matter). I believe that to be the case in the last raid too.

Your suggestion of a wide-spread warning would definitely help bringing players into the defense, but it needs to be accompanied by some other mechanism to effectively slow the attack down.

If you look at the Crusaders, Taniels, Rangers and Asador gates, they have an actual gate. This gate helps slow things down. From all those places, the ones with the most effective defense are the Rangers and Asador, because they also have archers behind those gates. While a small group (Abbadon, Phelan & co) could break down the Crusader gates (they have two) by having Phelan smash at them for 40 minutes straight, there is no way we could do that to the Ranger gate as their bolts are deadly. Also, mind you, from all of us only Phelan had enough strength to nick the gate. No amount of time would have allowed the other raiders present to make a dent on those gates. I believe that was the experience of the Asador attacking party too. This created an interesting dynamic because while Abbadon and others could raid Elvandar on the wake of a darkelven raid, it wasn't possible to break down guilds alone. I even approached certain "strong" characters IC to try to recruit some muscle for an attempt on the Taniel cathedral.

Adding an actual gate to the Elvandar entrance, with archers on the wall above it, would be a very effective way to slow down attacks as it would force some anti-missile countermeasures. This typically means that you have to use a shield and have tanking and healing. It won't affect the current attacking party as heavily because they have missile countermeasures that don't sacrifice damage output, but it would at least slow things down a bit and be effective against the usual attackers: the Sathonites.

ila
Master

#43 Post by ila » Fri Dec 18, 2020 6:40 pm

gone
Last edited by ila on Mon Jan 04, 2021 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Delmon
Champion

#44 Post by Delmon » Fri Dec 18, 2020 9:11 pm

@ Ferranifer - I'm not opposed to a gate that would shut to slow attackers down a bit. Nice idea. I recommend a large wooden one, maybe with different ways of getting through it, such as fire. Just a thought to add some more options for attackers.

Ioca
Professional

#45 Post by Ioca » Fri Dec 18, 2020 11:21 pm

Allalltar wrote: And don't look at it and be like "oh, can't mean me, I'm fine.". I'm a firm believer in "it takes two to brew a conflict", everyone involved in this had some part to some extend and everyone can try and do their best to keep this IC and ensure that it isn't just stomping on people OOC.
I am so with you, but also so stressed out about hearing this, not from you but from everyone. :< I don't know what I can say to really get my point across because nobody seems to understand it.

It does not take two to brew this particular conflict! I told people OOC I did not want involved in this. I told them IC I didn't want involved in it! I can say boldly and bluntly that I feel the rules were broken and I was punished IC for not agreeing to vote on the council a certain way in an OOC conversation. Praises were sung of my character by the people who punished me right until they started threatening, demeaning, and bothering my character, until the tension got so high - and I wanted _away_ from the supposed RP - so badly that I actually just killed one of them to give them a _reason_ to outlaw me and let me get away from them and be in peace.

But then they kept escalating it even after that. I mean, I have all this logged. I'm going to keep saying I don't want involved in this RP. It isn't fun being condemned, banished, or outlawed. It mechanically breaks my character in certain ways, it shuts off half the game to me, and I've got like two people to roleplay with because for some reason everyone is taking the IC side of the people who basically, in blunt words, "ruined my character's life and forced her into the role of a villain."

My character is peaceful and wants to do basically nothing but kill mobs, improve herself, roleplay about dumb things, help people (I -still- help basically anyone who asks, and even will help enemies retrieve their belongings from bad situations, etc), and occasionally do sneaky underhanded things that don't hurt or bother other players or their characters. I'm conceding that yeah, I'm happy to do whatever needs to be done to fix things, but it's not in my hands, and all I _can_ do is whine about it on the forums, or get revenge IC against the characters of two players that really just -feared- I would vote against them on a non-existent proposal they didn't even actually propose on Elvandar's council despite my telling them OOC and IC that I would at least consider it despite my reluctance.

And by the way, the law they wanted was literally to force other players to do things that would be unfun. Again, I have this conversation logged. I've shared it with admins already. What can _I_ do to stop this conflict if my side of the story is ignored and nobody will fix things on their end?
Allalltar wrote: And if you're now thinking "But they have done this and that and that is unfair"... trust me for my experience even if you don't believe me anything else... somewhere on the other side, chances are they feel the same way about you. Truth is, in a conflict like that, you are not objective. You have an agenda. And as long as you keep having that agenda, you won't be seeing clearly.
My agenda is, and always has been, for my character to just react to the situations she's dragged into. I'll say it again that I literally don't want involved in this RP and would _love_ to have an "out" or a way to get things fixed, but how is that possible? Can anyone give me a hint that doesn't involve bending my knee to the characters that begged me to kill them so that they could outlaw me, or appealing to the judge who is disobeying the OOC rules on the plaque and ignoring the council laws, etc?

I'm sorry for the rant, but I am seriously frustrated that anyone ever thinks this is my fault when all I keep saying IC and OOC is that my character just wants to be left alone, un-outlawed, un-condemned, un-banished, and continue being the _good person_ she actually was/is/will continue trying to be.

isengoo
Champion

#46 Post by isengoo » Fri Dec 18, 2020 11:52 pm

I suggest everyone relax and try to have a good time.
Last edited by isengoo on Sat Dec 19, 2020 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ila
Master

#47 Post by ila » Fri Dec 18, 2020 11:54 pm

gone
Last edited by ila on Mon Jan 04, 2021 7:26 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Ioca
Professional

#48 Post by Ioca » Fri Dec 18, 2020 11:56 pm

isengoo wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 11:52 pm I suggest self immolation in protest of the unjust persecution of your religion in an authoritarian regime.
Unsure if joking or not, but the Arborea / Asral issues are not what I'm referring to and aren't what the majority o this thread is about. ^^

But yeah, outlawing entire religions isn't a very cool tactic either! -That- is certainly one spot where "playing with each other and not against each other" should definitely come into play, because when innocent players log on from a perhaps stressful day and see like, "I am outlawed and don't know why," it just adds more stress and surely is not a fun part of the game. Not much fun RP can be had from outlawry when there's no crime to be roleplayed about amending.

Edit - Also, since you're just actually a jerk in a very real OOC sense judging by how you fart at me in the OOC room and then comment things like this on the forums, I'm sorry but I'm gonna go ahead and add that I know why you outlawed the Gwennites - and I did talk to the admins about it once upon a time. You're not a very fun person to play with.

roxvod
Experienced

#49 Post by roxvod » Sat Dec 19, 2020 7:49 am

:lol:

Allalltar
Master

#50 Post by Allalltar » Sat Dec 19, 2020 10:43 am

Alright, locking this topic for now. It seems that conveying to people to be cordial to each other ooc is rather difficult. I'll consider unlocking that topic after the holidays. Have a merry christmas everyone.

louis
Champion

#51 Post by louis » Sat Dec 19, 2020 1:52 pm

ila wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 11:54 pm
isengoo wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 11:52 pm I suggest **** ********* ** ******* ** *** ****** *********** ** **** ******* ** ** ********* ******.
I suggest *** ** **** ****.
I suggest read the form rules, act and post accordingly. Rephrase your postings if you think that you might have broken a rule, poIsen, poIla.

Louis, Allalltar, on behalf of the GEAS Admin Team