Start/Stop/Continue for Geas!

If it's no bug or an idea, but it's still MUD-related, it goes here.

Moderator: Wizards

Laewyloth
Journeyman

Start/Stop/Continue for Geas!

#1 Post by Laewyloth » Mon Jan 04, 2021 1:16 pm

Inspired by the spate of threads that have focused on the more negative aspects of gameplay, as well as the random and more fun threads about character portraits, superstitions, and mudlet packages (coughcoughshamelessplugformoreideas) - I wanted to see what everyone thought about this.

A mechanism we use at work for post-mortems / 'looking back at how something is doing' is the start/stop/continue mechanism where you focus on:
  • What are the things we (I) need to start doing, in order to improve X?
  • What are the things we (I) need to stop doing, in order to improve X or stop degradation of Y?
  • What are the things we (I) need to continue doing, because they're working well?
The idea is that when you see common themes in any of those sections, that's a good signal that the item should be addressed or dived into some more. I'd love to review this once a month and 'see' if any of the feedback people give and have, actually changes or if items 'remain' on the start/stop/continue list for a while.

Here's mine:

START:
  • Adding in more mystery to the world of Geas. A long history, coupled with OOC methods of discussion (discord/forums/the-ooc-room) means that a lot of the 'mystery' is no longer mysterious. I know once something is figured out, it's no longer mysterious but it'd be neat to just see some new things added in the world, with nobody told about 'em!
  • Assuming best intentions. Echoing the various comments about "Playing together, not against", I think everyone has somewhat lost sight of this one. Most people (it seems) assume at -best-, 'neutral' intentions. Let's all start assuming that people who wanna play rogues are going to do so in a fun, neat manner. Let's all start assuming that someone is starting a fuss or a conflict because it'll be fun.
  • Making guilds more accessible. A few guilds have 'a way to join automatically and in a probationary period' - both occupational, and laymans. I'd love to see this extended to every single guild, as well as having more 'automated' ways to advance within those guilds in lieu of forcing interactions, blocking players from advancing, or creating barriers 'in general'.
  • Having more festivals and parties~! I say this half-jokingly, but given that there aren't any wide-spread methods of communication, having people gather at predetermined times would be fun to at least encourage people who -might not otherwise- find, see, or interact with others.
STOP:
  • Using the past playerbase as a litmus test for the current playerbase. I've heard, quite a few times now 'Well so-and-so did this once, and so that's why we have to prevent doing this now'. People change, games change, demographics change. Let's err on the side of letting people do things, rather than saying why people -can't- or shouldn't, just because someone did 'something' in the past. Similarly, do NOT treat the most powerful characters 'in game' as the standard by which to balance, judge, or promote newer ones.
  • Assuming OOC knowledge. The fact is, that a lot of people (particularly those on the forums) have played Geas for years. So it's easy to just assume everyone knows everything and nothing needs explaining or changing. I say we stop doing that, and instead, assume that every single person -doesn't- know anything, until ICly, or in a specific, private, OOC conversation, you realize they do! I think a lot of misunderstandings happen this way.
CONTINUE:
  • Driving rich, interesting storylines. Even if they're tiny and insignificant. Not every single 'adventure' has to be filled with demonic invaders and mad-max style wasteland drivel. Keep on getting enthusiastic about eating cheese-cake, or finding things in holes, or talking about the latest rumour from the barkeep. Some of the funnest things I've seen here were just completely, and utterly, random bits of interaction from players. Keep it up!
  • Fixing (or reporting) typos, bugs, and other things with the same love you do today. I know this one sounds silly, but I come from a MUD where bugs from -twenty years ago- still remained un-fixed. Just fixing a single room description, or a skill/spell message, genuinely makes me SO happy and shows that people here actually -care- about the MUD. So again, keep on doing this.
  • Believing in the whimsical and/or dark nature of the setting. I actually find it neat that so many people shout 'GEAS IS A DARK SETTING' and yet just as many people find the 'brighter side' of that setting. When you think about it, this is -good- and -natural-, because it means - just like in the real world, there will (and should) always be people who try to find solace, peace, or happiness amidst terrible darkness and adversity. So, keep on believing that Geas is <however you have been enjoying it>.

That's mine! I'd love to see yours, provided you don't use this as an opportunity to snipe at, degrade, or yell at people. Feel free to call out negative themes (as I did above) but let's try to keep this fun and informative.

Delia
Overlord

Re: Start/Stop/Continue for Geas!

#2 Post by Delia » Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:10 am

I think Geas needs more transparency. Players understanding how mechanisms work, how different guilds work. Generally speaking less secrets. Of course this does not mean less IG mysteries, just players understanding the game they players on a mechanical level. Too many times a player has rebuked some other player for revealing some mechanical tidbit, because secrets. Lets be done with secrets.

As things new things get added to Geas, old stuff could use a looking at too. Feeling of balance is a fickle thing and hard to achieve and maintain, but players are very sensitive to it and quick to react to it.
"To be is to do" - Sokrates
"To do is to be" - Jean-Paul Sartre
"Do be do be do" - Frank Sinatra

ferranifer
Champion

#3 Post by ferranifer » Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:18 am

Delia wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:10 am I think Geas needs more transparency. Players understanding how mechanisms work, how different guilds work. Generally speaking less secrets. Of course this does not mean less IG mysteries, just players understanding the game they players on a mechanical level. Too many times a player has rebuked some other player for revealing some mechanical tidbit, because secrets. Lets be done with secrets.
I wholeheartedly support this sentiment. We pay a high price for maintaining secrets that only benefit the enfranchised or the already powerful. The currency it is paid in is OOC mistrust and frustration. Lets be done with secrets.

Arsicas
Master

#4 Post by Arsicas » Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:02 pm

STOP

Trying to control how other people act—Every character is different and has their own motivations, and so they may respond in a way you don’t like/expect. Don’t try to make them fit your version of the game.

Assuming someone is acting for ill OOC reasons—I’m guilty of jumping to this conclusion, and it soured my view of the game and other players. If you feel like someone is acting badly based on OOC motivations, it’s probably best to bring it up with them or an admin and clear up the matter.

Taking things personally—We’re all roleplaying characters, and while we may share some characteristics with them, they are not us. I know it can sometimes feel like a personal attack when someone does something that negatively affects your character, but hopefully we can keep any conflicts and responses IC.
Duncan hisses in Common: love not keepzss zssomeone alive
You speak softly in Common: Sometimes it's all that keeps one
alive.
You smile slightly.

ila
Master

#5 Post by ila » Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:18 pm

It'd be nice if people stopped breaking rules, metagaming, and trying to make the game unfun for others to drive them away.

roxvod
Experienced

#6 Post by roxvod » Fri Jan 15, 2021 4:51 am

ila wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:18 pm It'd be nice if people stopped breaking rules, metagaming, and trying to make the game unfun for others to drive them away.
I agree. Just love everyone, everyone! :lol:

Yngwe
Apprentice

#7 Post by Yngwe » Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:02 am

ila wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:18 pm It'd be nice if people stopped breaking rules, metagaming, and trying to make the game unfun for others to drive them away.
100% agree!!