special area's and actions having lasting effect on areas

If it's no bug or an idea, but it's still MUD-related, it goes here.

Moderator: Wizards

tarlon
Veteran

special area's and actions having lasting effect on areas

#1 Post by tarlon » Thu Feb 23, 2006 11:51 am

This topic is inspiered by the evil side topic
Hi, I think the idea of having the tower, insects and orb is very nice.
I think more of sides like that could be realy intresting if they are done well.
Sadly i think those places could need some improvements.
For example the orb. For normal players it is nearly impossible to get there even in team for the big ones the can even get it while suffering the negativ effect. And as the effect is very hard none who isn't able to get it back alone dares to touch it and getting a team to go there is hard giants ain`t the favorite enemies of most guys and they only have the fun nothing more.
I think an area where you need a strong team and getting a slight effect for the whole team that last for example for 2 weeks or 1 month would be more fun and encourage guys to form teams to go there.
or other ideas like: an holy place of evren where followers could heal themself a little that could be desecreted by the evil side for sure this shouldn't be possible by one guy but by a nice team. And with the order the evil guys are able to form a team.
As well ingreadents for rituals with various effects could be obtained in the cities you can´t go that easily. Like he needs a part off a relique from a holy person this could get the thieves more busy and dealing with both sides the good and evil.
Goods that can´t be easily taken out of a city because all guards attack you if they see you.
A ritual place where nasty rituals can be heald to summon a demon that does something. like enchanting your weapon for a short time to drew more blood that usual for some time.
This would show much better who is evil. The evil side wouldn´t dare to kill a maden to finish an amulet that makes you a little more resitant but would a taniel cleric do so? People might dislike guys who are carrying a blood red glowing feary skull in their inventory. Or crusaders could do a crusade at an undead area where they could obtain an ingreadience to destroy a nasty undead or to make bless their weapons. This way for example asral priests could show their real face as they might think to sacrifice a women to obtain some more fighting power or having another benifit might be acceptable.
As well it would be nice. If a group realy raids a city it could have some effect like having weaker guards for some time. Cities could be provided with gold from players or there treasure could be lowered as they earn money from taxes. If thieves rob the shops regulary could suffer penalties on income.
But on the other hand could regulary trading in a city increase the income of the city and the quality and ammount of guards again.
And lots of more stuff you could imagine.
For sure not all might agree with me. And for sure it would be tons of work to programm all those stuff. But a lot of stuff happen and have been programmed in geas since i started. I still remember the old very basic combat system and stuff like that. The cleric system has had major changes 3 times in the times i played i think.
So thanks to all those wizards who done this good work and fantastic mud

stilgar
Champion

#2 Post by stilgar » Thu Feb 23, 2006 11:58 pm

Areas?

Make Eal-Deliah unded NOT auto-attack but assist Sathonytes :twisted: problem solved :wink:
Future is NOT what it used to be

Pecs, European Capital of Culture 2010

jezz
Hero

#3 Post by jezz » Fri Feb 24, 2006 6:17 am

stilgar wrote:Areas?

Make Eal-Deliah unded NOT auto-attack but assist Sathonytes :twisted: problem solved :wink:
Eal-Deliah undeads are not created by Sathonys, so they have will attack sathonites as much as they do with a crusader, because... well, both are alive :P and the poor things have to eat.

I like the idea of territories beeing fought for. The Pain Tower indeed is one of the greatest ideas in Geas, because when it's opened, many players start to work together to close it, or get amazed when walking into tundra and seeing it a bit changed.

But I think we need more players for such fights, although giving ideas now won't hurt. Maybe little towns occupied by evil guys, which goodies can free. Would be cool that if a lot of time passes with the evil guys ruling, slowly the citizens start to adapt to their rulers, becoming finally in a dark and dangerous town full of crazy people craving for death, assasins and mad guys listening to voices :D

You know, like my house ;)

tarlon
Veteran

#4 Post by tarlon » Fri Feb 24, 2006 6:50 am

yeah and cityguards that serve the current dominators of the city

genesis
Wizard

#5 Post by genesis » Fri Feb 24, 2006 5:37 pm

Or crusaders could do a crusade at an undead area where they could obtain an ingreadience to destroy a nasty undead or to make bless their weapons.
I thought this was already done?
Genesis the ideaSpawner

Falsenroth
Experienced

#6 Post by Falsenroth » Fri Feb 24, 2006 6:04 pm

I really like the idea of such things that would be fought over. Often wars in many games are far too costly to wage, simply because the prize is often... i dunno, bragging rights? All the while, lowbies get killed and looted by the highbies... Perhaps making interguild conficts more meaningful rather than the usual "You killed my buddy, I kill you" or "you took guild item, now you die" or something like that. Akin to Jezz's idea of the cities turning good or evil, there could be settlements that are constantly fought over, benefits to trading and commerce, taking over tactical positions that would impede enemy attack, influencing the people (drawing taxes, recruits, aide), empire growth - the possibilities are endless. Although I have no idea how difficult it would be to code such things, it is "an" idea. :) all this from a risk fanatic who always got teamed up on >:[