Fast walking

If it's no bug or an idea, but it's still MUD-related, it goes here.

Moderator: Wizards

jezz
Hero

Fast walking

#1 Post by jezz » Wed Mar 15, 2006 5:57 pm

In the rules we can read: "Walking from A to B with a bot is allowed"

And I wonder how can that be allowed when it's a tool that can allow a player to run from pvp with a help that comes from the client, and not the skill. Same way that a trigger for flickup is forbidden.

I think "walking from A to B" should ONLY be allowed when that walking involves walking peacefully from Arborea to Elvandar, and not, in any case, when you are running from someone, reach the room in which your fast walk starts, and then... phew! In a second you are in the gates, while the other guy tries to move room after room checking for tracks and trying MANUALLY to be skilled and faster than you.

My 2cc

Abharsair
Site Admin

Re: Fast walking

#2 Post by Abharsair » Wed Mar 15, 2006 7:46 pm

jezz wrote:In the rules we can read: "Walking from A to B with a bot is allowed"

And I wonder how can that be allowed when it's a tool that can allow a player to run from pvp with a help that comes from the client, and not the skill. Same way that a trigger for flickup is forbidden.
It's not a bot, it's a macro. A macro does not react to the output of the game, whereas a bot (flickup) does. And to answer your actual question: because it's hard to prove, unless you want us to monitor all commands and in which intervals they were sent to the game, and even then it could easily be faked. Additionally to that you first have to walk to a certain static location before you can start the macro, and I am fairly confident that there is no single player who has walking macros from any given location to the gates of Elvandar. Last but not least, you have to draw a line at some point. If a walking macro is illegal, why should a wield macro be not illegal either? After all, some players can draw weapons faster than others if both have to type manually. Or why should a "hp" statistic be allowed? Some players can scan through scrolling messages and statistics in the heat of battle better than others, so having a client based hitpoint display is an unfair advantage. You could even go so far as to say that any type of mud client gives you an unfair advantage over those who have to use plain telnet, and thus they should not be allowed. Anyway, it can be argued what is unfair and what isn't, but we decided to draw the line exactly where it is described in our rules.