tracking

If it's no bug or an idea, but it's still MUD-related, it goes here.

Moderator: Wizards

tarlon
Veteran

tracking

#1 Post by tarlon » Sat Apr 15, 2006 4:59 am

Hi,
what do you think about tracking?
What i noticed from my chars and both don´t have realy good tracking skills. You notice tracks everywhere easily without searching for them. I think it is a little strange to track down guys especialy on roads or citties. Okay a heavy warrior wearing platemail like tarlon yeah that should be much easier but low weight elves halflings that should be much more difficult in cities and on roads there must be lots of tracks and it would be real realy hard to chace the tracks even those of heavy armoured warriors. But as it is now it doesn´t seem realy difficult it is easy for both of my chars to follow tracks easily. In cities outside cities it doesn´t seem to make any difference. And another suggestions at crowded places like the crossing where you usualy find lots of tracks if you search there it should be difficult as well as tracks get easily destroyed.I don´t want to weaken it alot the skill should have it uses and it is a nice feature to track guys perhaps it should be eaven easier in deep forests to follow tracks. But it is quite funny that you walk through a city (where you always get messages that warriors pass you and stuff like that) that you notice a single elf track without even searching for it
Tarlon and another char.

Oh not realy good tracking skill means around 60 with is a little above average.

tessa
Overlord

#2 Post by tessa » Sat Apr 15, 2006 7:04 am

Another thing I noticed, although I'm sure nothing can really be done about it, is if someone comes to the crossing, from say, north, sits there for hours, and leaves southeast, tracks will say 'very fresh tracks of <blah> heading southeast, from north.' But IMO, it's kind of weird to know they came from the north if they were standing there for hours.

tarlon
Veteran

#3 Post by tarlon » Sat Apr 15, 2006 7:10 am

hehe didn´t notice that yet but sounds funny

Kortha
Master

#4 Post by Kortha » Sat Apr 15, 2006 12:19 pm

Actually, I have noticed it being slightly harder to track in cities, at least in some cases. Sometimes tracks do seem harder to find if there's a lot of tracks there, but usually (when specifically trying to track) you see the older ones and not the fresher ones, which seems a bit backwards. And if a horse has been through, you can bet that random tracks you see without trying to track will only belong to the horse, heh.
If a squirrel is chasing you, drop your nuts and run.

tessa
Overlord

#5 Post by tessa » Sat Apr 15, 2006 9:21 pm

I can vouch for Ez, I've noticed that older tracks are a lot easier to spot than newer ones, which is kinda odd.