Newbies getting attacked

If it's no bug or an idea, but it's still MUD-related, it goes here.

Moderator: Wizards

Blizt
Hero

#41 Post by Blizt » Fri Jul 28, 2006 5:33 pm

Oh, thats fine Vurdijak. I am just curious about the statements of Crusaders have a problem with this come from. Like I said, please mention to me one time when a newbie was REALLY attacked by Crusader in killmode. Its stated we have a problem with this, but yet, when did it ever happen?
Can you name a time recently when a newbie was killed by anyone, other than a newbie? I cant. Why was this discussion even started if its not even a problem? I havent seen anyone going around killing noobies lately, or ever.
I will post no more on this unless its very neccassary, because this looks bad, people are being accused of killing newbies, when its not happening at all, and its bad for the playerbase. Accusing people of things that never happended on an OOC forum does nothing but anger the people being accused. I would like to know what newbie I or other Crusaders have killed though, because I dont remember one time, and when my memory is jogged, I am sure I can fix my problem of attacking newbies in killmode.
If we are the problem, please inform us of this, so we can change.
We follow the concept of the guild, if thats such a problem, I am sorry the mud wasnt coded around your needs.

chara
Wizard

#42 Post by chara » Fri Jul 28, 2006 6:36 pm

In my opinion:

1. Newbies should not be killed, unless they have been warned and continue to act out of line. Blizt, it has been repeatedly said that this does NOT mean that you have to let them do whatever without reacting. Since it doesn't seem to have sunk in, I'll reiterate - use some creativity and have some fun with the situation. Don't turn to killing right away. I'm not saying anyone has or hasn't done this in the past, but this is how it should be handled - warnings, RP, education.

2. Who's a newbie? Have you seen him before? Have you heard of him? Does he seem experienced? Does he appraise as very weak? Is he travelling alone or in a group? Use some common sense, and err on the side of caution when possible.

3. You have a problem being killed as a newbie? You have a problem with the behavior of a certain newbie? You have just about any other problem with another player? Report the situation to the Playerarch. Do NOT address this problem on a public board, directly to the other player, nastily to other players behind the original player's back, whatever. You have a problem with a player, talk to the Playerarch. If he's not around, send him a mail. That's what he's there for.

To remind you, from the player rules, you are not allowed to:
insult other players out of character, or accuse them of abuse or unsportly behavior, without contacting the Playerarch or the Admin
So again, if newbies have been killed by Crusaders or anyone else - don't bring it up here, this is not the place. Tell it to the Playerarch.

4. If we wanted to hardcode every behavior, we would - and you'd all be bored like hell. Use common sense. To quote from the rules:
"Use your common sense when playing. This game was made for enjoyment, so enjoy it, and give other players also a chance to enjoy it."
It would be possible to prevent newbies from doing anything evil - but far, far better would be to handle it IC.

trith

Idiots

#43 Post by trith » Sun Jul 30, 2006 1:25 am

Ok, time to post my first post. After tonight I have to say that I have not read any of the thread but got a first hand education tonight online. AND ALL THIS IS IDIOTIC. Its plain and simple, always resort to your roleplay. Deal with newbies as if they are new, give them a leash, but keep it tight if need be if they get totally out of hand. Please just end all this fighting so I can get back to roleplay and having fun, not playing nursemaid.

PO Trith

adanath
Champion

:)

#44 Post by adanath » Sun Jul 30, 2006 1:40 am

I just want to say not too long ago I was a new player to this mud, and I have enjoyed it immensely. Other muds I played had a lot of ooc conflict. People, just calm down, and have fun! Who cares about all this stuff, it is a game! Relax. I agree completely with Trith.

Olrane
Champion

#45 Post by Olrane » Sun Jul 30, 2006 2:48 am

Yeah, let's. I too got roped into stupid OOC conflict over this, and I am sorry for making stupid accusations against Crusaders.

Roleplay's the best way to handle this, just as Trith said.

On a slightly different note, I'm hoping to see more stunmode in the future. Just as Vurdijak pointed out, it used to be quite a bit less aggressive here, and I think a lot of pointless deaths have set certain people (Yes! I'm talking about myself! And I'm not blaming anyone, just saying that being killed sucks) on edge, making them roleplay worse and have bad OOC attitudes(I'm guilty). Not necessarily talking about newbies, just about unnecessary deaths. If you really feel it's necessary, fine...but I don't think killmode should be used unless they present a challenge and try to attack you likewise.

Anyway, I've really enjoyed a lot of roleplay lately when it DIDN'T end in killmode...keep it up, all of you. Thank you, sorry for the bullshit.

kaspars
Journeyman

#46 Post by kaspars » Sun Jul 30, 2006 8:53 am

There are few simple rules we all know, but sometimes in the heat of fighting for our ideals we forget.
Remember time when you were newbie yourself - testing different things, wondering what is this all about .. "ohh, I may attack nibblers, gremlins .. but why did this crazy guy with the lance attack me when I started to attack faeries .. ohh they are good and lead me to the evil aura that some dislike *sighs and starts to read another helpfile*"
Speak with people and explain your actions - if you see newbie killing faeries, go and speak to him, explain that it is bad, warn him that you will crush him, if this repeats. Only crazy or totally careless person will try to repeat it after warned by group of big guys with lances.
Dont forget about other options then kill - I remember time we spent with Tatiana and Xexo in Elvandar dungeon ;) It was excellent roleplay from their side .. should be somewhere in wiki. Or lets take Jezz as example - sometimes he can be creepy even for me, without any killing :shock:
Use your common sense - yes, yes .. bla bla. (but dont get me wrong - it is the most important thing here)
Last edited by kaspars on Sun Jul 30, 2006 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

jezz
Hero

#47 Post by jezz » Sun Jul 30, 2006 9:39 am

Yes, shut the f**k up and go have fun playing Geas and not writing here, you damned bunch of goods-for-nothing! :D

On a side note, I think all crusaders should behave less "sensitive" when the topic of newbie killing appears. It makes them look guilty... ;) Just joking. And above all, as it was pointed out by Chara (kneel and praise), those "problems" can be solved easily by a meeting with Drake and the people who were arguing.

Let the rest train and chat so I can ambush them :)

Devi
Hero

#48 Post by Devi » Sun Jul 30, 2006 11:57 am

I hate to say it, but it sounds like Geas trolling!

I'll share my only bad experience with newbie terror:

Devi saw a fresh adventurer picking on Volog. She sprang into action, pushed him over, and dragged him from the fight. He died to Volog a bit later (he went back to finish him off), and some other characters chatted with him.

Later, she found him and explained the laws. He responded with complete apathy and went to kill Volog again.

As a newbie-loving pacifist, how am I supposed to deal with that? In the end, I ignored it and hoped someone else would handle it. However, that made me uncomfortable. I wanted to make sure the new player had the best experience possible, and I really think it was just a matter of the player being accustomed to the average h&s muds (in which everything and everyone are fair game!)

What's the best way to handle a situation like that?

(edited for ocassional incoherence)

chara
Wizard

#49 Post by chara » Sun Jul 30, 2006 1:23 pm

How you deal with it is by reporting it to the playerarch, who can examine the situation, talk OOC with the parties involved, and even theoretically punish/replace the death, if called for strongly enough.

Hmm, somehow this advice sounds familiar... must be deja vu! :lol:

Olrane
Champion

#50 Post by Olrane » Sun Jul 30, 2006 3:37 pm

This is a sensitive topic, and nobody needs to feel guilty for that to be the case.

I blew up on Blizt the other day wrongly because I thought(with little evidence) that he had attacked a newbie, and I wanted to publicly apologize for having a nasty attitude and OOCly harassing people.
I'll do my part to not have it happen again, since, as I am reminded, this is a game and IC consequences are dealth with ICly, never deserving to escalate into OOC bullshit.
I hope to see you all in the game, where we can enjoy the consequences of our roleplay. *grin*

Alamar
Master

IC newbiekiller response

#51 Post by Alamar » Tue Aug 01, 2006 9:04 am

There was once a guy named Scott (I think he has an alt, not sure). One day he went berzerk and ran around killing newbies, and he got three total as I recall. It was horrible both for the characters and for the newbie players (and these were newbie players not just newbie characters).

Alamar, Ezdreli, and a few others found Scott, killed him, took all of his possessions, distributed most to the newbies as compensation for their deaths, and burned the rest. Since then I heard that Scott has been killed several more times, and I will do so as well when I see him again.

This was an IC response to the problem of newbiekilling, which I think is quite appropriate. No ooc coding is critical, however, I should also point out that two of those three newbies has completely disappeared from the game and NEVER showed back up (about two months or so now). If we hope to entice new PLAYERS (not simply new characters) to participate in the MUD then I think that some kind of safeguard against newbie killing should be implemented.

1. When that idiot newbie decides to attack the city guards he should get a message saying "bad idea."

2. When a player decides to attack a newbie (under a day old) he should automatically go to stunmode.

That might solve problems all around. I should also say that many of these conflicts are the direct result of "slightly red" glows. See my post on NEUTRALITY, which is again highly underrepresented.

-Alamar

Blizt
Hero

#52 Post by Blizt » Tue Aug 01, 2006 1:25 pm

Why can you just do the Scott (newbie) what the Crusaders Blizt and Maly did to him? Instead of killing him (well, he did from hiding at the guards once and getting attacked) we decided to stun him and tied him up. Then we branded his whole body with a torch and left him somewhere where he couldnt attack anyone else. I dont remember, was possibly upside down on the Satho cross, might have been at the hangman in arborea, or maybe up a tree while tied up, I dont remember but I think he learned his lesson faster that way, then just by being killed and looted, 3x.
Well, ok he didnt, right now hes running around with Mercs trying to kill more people :P

Drake
Wizard

#53 Post by Drake » Tue Aug 01, 2006 5:49 pm

Ok, I think it has already been mentioned a sufficient number of times in this thread already, but I will go over it one more time.

The crusaders have never been reported to have killed a newbie character, and that means new player or second.

If anyone knows of such an incident, it, like any other newbie killing should be reported to the playerarch via mudmail (thats Drake), oh, and include a few deails like who what where how and time if possible to help me find out what I need to know.

Whilst killing this player who killed newbies is one of numerous IC responses quite suitable to deal with the situation IC, it should _still_ be reported to the playerarch so that I and the admins know that it has happened, and deal with any unfair actions if they have occured.

And as always, keep in mind the fair play guidelines which state that you should not kill someone more than once a day, unless they deliberately provoke you to do so.

Keep it friendly, and always communicate with the wizards, we are here to help, in many more ways than just coding this place, as examples, resolving unfair situations, and clearing up misconceptions before they are blown out of proportion and start to spoil your, or anyone elses fun.

Drake
Evil in Training.
Gods middle finger.

lanyara
Overlord

Re: Newbies getting attacked

#54 Post by lanyara » Wed May 12, 2010 8:48 am

Man ... I would have loved to play then with a crusader char ... instant and trivial way to find out which evil I can try to smash instantly, and it would instantly and automatically be the "correct" IC action.
Even sounds a lot easier than favour checking, but favour checking is trivial too, and karma leaking reveals who is evil as well ... so it is still quite trivial. :)
Best race: halflings.

adanath
Champion

Re:

#55 Post by adanath » Thu May 13, 2010 9:25 am

Blizt wrote:Yes, there was another Cleric who gave chase, to try to calm the situation down. He got a good look at the elf, long enough to remember his face and put a name he wanted to remember him as with it, as the elf ran to padorn.
I was just re-reading this old thread, and laughed. Padorn. dang xyllomer.

per
Master

Re: Newbies getting attacked

#56 Post by per » Thu May 13, 2010 12:06 pm

Friendly reminder: One can remember/name individuals one has run into recently without the need for them to be in the same room. There is a remembered list of recently seen people and all you need to do is be explicit and use theit full short description.

Per