Communication

If it's no bug or an idea, but it's still MUD-related, it goes here.

Moderator: Wizards

Abharsair
Site Admin

Communication

#1 Post by Abharsair » Sat Sep 09, 2006 4:44 pm

I couldn't help it but to notice that the guild-internal communication right now pretty much... sucks. Allies die, enemies die, new things are discovered, new threats show up, and nearly noone bothers to report it on their guild boards. Alright, it's more or less your (the players) choice to do it or not to do it, but seriously, if you kill the same guild enemy three times a day because your fellow member didn't bother to write about the first two times, it gets a bit irritating. The same applies to live quests. We don't put effort into creating a spooky atmosphere if the witnesses just shrug and don't tell anyone about it. So for the love of god, if you kill someone, have at least the decency to brag about it on your boards.

Delia
Overlord

#2 Post by Delia » Sun Sep 10, 2006 8:36 am

I have to agree here, ok so I'm not the most active writer around either, but I try to notify fellow guildmembers if anything of note happened, like a fight with a member of another guild or somesuch, even if it might feel a bit trivial.
"To be is to do" - Sokrates
"To do is to be" - Jean-Paul Sartre
"Do be do be do" - Frank Sinatra

Alamar
Master

#3 Post by Alamar » Sun Sep 10, 2006 9:47 am

One of the difficulties of doing that with a guild like the rangers is that we have so many members (very good ones) who sleep for long periods and then wake up ready for action. It's hard to keep them up to date. Hopefully a list of guild friends and guild enemies will help, but then people rarely check those lists, so it will take time to develop habits.

Sending mails out to members of other guilds that you know is a good idea too.

Speaking of mail... I can't delete old mails at all. I'm sure that I CAN I just don't know the command for it. Maybe slightly more user-friendly mail would help things along? I heard Delem post that he still had not figured out how to send a mail. While that seems sort of strange to me, it probably means that other newbies (and not so newbies, like Delem) are intimidated by the mail system.

Maybe add something to the tutorial about it? It is, after all, the same format as making custom items, posting notes on the boards, and perhaps other things I'm not thinking about.

Just a thought about general communication between players. Inter-guild communication is still a problem. But fixable I think.

-Alamar

Abharsair
Site Admin

#4 Post by Abharsair » Sun Sep 10, 2006 11:43 am

Sending mudmail is not nearly as important as posting notes. I know that some players do not like to write on boards, but it is quite important to do so, and it should be a habit of everyone to first check the local guild board for news before venturing out into the world. Equally important is to actually write a note when something happens. It used to be that Vlad bit half the player population, raided a city and beat up large parts of the Legion, and then two hours later the other legionnaires logged in and had not even the faintest idea that anything happened, because no one actually bothered to write about it.

If there wasn't the crappy OOC rumour-mongering on the various messengers and people had to rely on IC news and IC communication, most of our players would have no idea what's going on within the game.

Vargrahim
Master

#5 Post by Vargrahim » Sun Sep 10, 2006 2:06 pm

I think that it used to be (at least very long ago) so that secondary characters logged on, read the boards, and then log on back with their original character. Maybe that makes people kind of afraid to post on the board, since then you're just sharing the information with your enemy.. Of course, that's just one explanation, and it was long ago I saw something like that.

tarlon
Veteran

#6 Post by tarlon » Sun Sep 10, 2006 3:18 pm

This is a reply to varghims note about seconds login and reading the boards
As that shouldn´t be a standart behaviour and even could be treated like kind of cheating and hopefully the amount of guys who are cheating is fairly low we should think about the fact of login read boards logout just to get up to date for another char. Guild boards are realy important and should be keep at least a litle up to date or write a note that something important happened and you will inform them by mail if it is something you don´t want to write it on a board.

If you suspect someone just reading the board. Try to talk with that guy ooc talk in the game is possible and if that doesn´t help the playerarch might be your man.

jezz
Hero

#7 Post by jezz » Sun Sep 10, 2006 4:50 pm

Don't let paranoia hit you that way. Not writing notes on boards because you think someone can cheat using them is conditioning your char behaviour by purely ooc reasons, which doesn't have much sense.

People cheat, sure, but I don't think that's a reason to hide in your shell, gollum-syndrome of keeping your wisdom for you and your fellow MSN friends and then in the end whom you are hurting is not the cheater, but all the rest of Geas' players.

It surprises me greatly, that I haven't been told of ANY discussion in ANY guild about strategies. Guides to the best miracles (where, how and which), best tactics to slice a satho in two, best areas to hunt...

I know most of that info is shared icly directly by talking and that's great, but I think boards have a potential we aren't using yet.

chara
Wizard

#8 Post by chara » Sun Sep 10, 2006 5:29 pm

I would just add to Tarlon's post that if you think someone is cheating or using OOC info, you should talk to the Playerarch about it. Please don't make accusations directly to the player, but let the Playerarch sort it out.

Vargrahim
Master

#9 Post by Vargrahim » Sun Sep 10, 2006 6:18 pm

Just to clarify.. I don't care if a secondary character logs on and reads the boards - I post anyway, and I always did. That's my contribution. I just wanted to post what I think, since one of the admins was asking (or?) for it. Might be completely invalid. I don't know. I'd just like more of us would post notes on the boards, that's all. I leave it up to others to take decisions ;)

Vargrahim
Master

#10 Post by Vargrahim » Sun Sep 10, 2006 6:30 pm

And just to add something else.. It would be nice if information was posted on the public boards aswell, not just guild boards. That way _all_ players can enjoy the events.

Of course, if there's something super secret which you can draw an advantage from, don't post. In other cases, it would make it funnier for everyone to see those posts, including new players who can find boards with postings of recent date.

stilgar
Champion

#11 Post by stilgar » Mon Sep 11, 2006 3:24 pm

I think city guards and important NPCs should also post on the boards. Like Kelric or even a guard posts about an attack, or Bimok reports if he was treated bad, as I thinkthey visit the cities too.

We have a nice rumour sytem too, but one gold is a bit toomuchprice for a rumour :wink:

That would add some salt to the in-game communication too.
Future is NOT what it used to be

Pecs, European Capital of Culture 2010

adanath
Champion

boards

#12 Post by adanath » Mon Sep 11, 2006 5:34 pm

Due to lack of intelligence and lack of common font knowledge and slowly being taught how to spell his own name etc by his friends Adanath is not yet (roleplay wise) capable of reading or writing much more than his name. As was made evident by the note in which he left on the Satho Castle board hrhr. :)

stilgar
Champion

#13 Post by stilgar » Mon Sep 11, 2006 10:30 pm

Definiately need more satho tshaharks :twisted:
Future is NOT what it used to be

Pecs, European Capital of Culture 2010