Interupting spells/miracles/etc

If it's no bug or an idea, but it's still MUD-related, it goes here.

Moderator: Wizards

Blizt
Hero

Interupting spells/miracles/etc

#1 Post by Blizt » Mon Oct 02, 2006 4:29 pm

Ok, I assume miracles/spells/etc can be interupted somehow in combat, yet I haven't seen it, not that I have noticed. I know there is a Shaolin art that has the possibility to do this, but do regular combat moves do this? I know when I first started playing, I was given a tip to knock someone over when they start casting to interupt it. I noticed recently that if someone starts some gestures, and you knock them to the ground, and look at them, they are still casting, they can flickup, and still be casting and finish the miracle as soon as they stand. I assume its not buggy, that this is intended, but perhaps throwing/knocking someone to the ground, and them doing flickup, should interupt them? Then again, I guess the situation I am talking about, the person was praying for a miracle, and perhaps they just waited for their god to respond ;) Maybe its like this so people can still use specials when they are praying. Although perhaps if you knock them completely over, it could interupt it?

jezz
Hero

#2 Post by jezz » Mon Oct 02, 2006 6:22 pm

To begin with, miracles could be interrupted in the past, although it was obvious that allowing a fighter to make a cleric stop casting so easily was extremely unbalanced, and I think that was the reason it was changed. Else, a fighter just needs to do a gore and the fight is over.

Now replying to Blizt, the miracle system allows miracles to fall into three categories: mental, gesture and verbal. A miracle could need the three aspects or only one, or a mix of two. So maybe you tossed to the ground a cleric who was simply chanting the mantra, and I don't see why he/she couldn't flickup while doing so :)

Blizt
Hero

#3 Post by Blizt » Mon Oct 02, 2006 6:25 pm

Well, if it was possible in the past, and now removed I guess its balanced to the point it should be.
Thanks.

anglachel
Site Admin

#4 Post by anglachel » Wed Oct 04, 2006 8:25 am

It was removed for miracles. For magic from scrolls and some other sources it is still active.

Delia
Overlord

#5 Post by Delia » Mon Jan 29, 2007 3:56 am

How will this be in the new magic system? I can see reading scroll being slow and easily interrupted, as even a clumsy swing can be easily enough to divert your eyes from the scroll, but how about other "modes"?
"To be is to do" - Sokrates
"To do is to be" - Jean-Paul Sartre
"Do be do be do" - Frank Sinatra

jezz
Hero

#6 Post by jezz » Mon Jan 29, 2007 4:25 am

Well, I think obviously wizs plan to make it difficult for mages to stay at first row :)

And about miracles or bows, mages surely will get spells to protect them about those. Still, I hope there are ways for a player to interrupt the casting of a mage at third row fully buffed.

Maybe discipline or a specially magical skill like "concentration" will help mages in those cases?

ganandorf
Overlord

Re: Interupting spells/miracles/etc

#7 Post by ganandorf » Wed Dec 26, 2012 7:19 pm

Wanted to resurrect this old topic.

I was wondering if a few additional things could result in miracles being interrupted (of course all being discipline dependant) a few suggestions I have:

Falling down (this one I think especially makes sense for miracles that require gestures)

Losing grip on a focus item (via disarm, or otherwise)

numbing of arms for miracles that require gestures (This one may already be active?)

Losing limbs, even legs
Meow

adanath
Champion

#8 Post by adanath » Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:12 pm

ganandorf wrote:Wanted to resurrect this old topic.

I was wondering if a few additional things could result in miracles being interrupted (of course all being discipline dependant) a few suggestions I have:

Falling down (this one I think especially makes sense for miracles that require gestures)

Losing grip on a focus item (via disarm, or otherwise)

numbing of arms for miracles that require gestures (This one may already be active?)

Losing limbs, even legs
I hate that it comes down to this, but it would probably be quite detrimental to clerics if anyone could bodycheck them down or tackle them, although disarm not nearly as often

ganandorf
Overlord

#9 Post by ganandorf » Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:42 pm

Well, PVP is becoming more and more dangerous as it is, resulting in less and less PVP happening, especially with younger characters who cannot challenge luminier, mazar or phelan (I use those examples specifically because they are the strongest character i know of both good, neutral and evil sides).

I think PVP is most dangerous due to firstly, strong characters like luminier and adanath (which keeping them on the ground or disarming them can keep them at bay).

Secondly, clerics are dangerous (everyone knows this, and they should be dangerous). All clerical guilds firstly have miracles to recover hp, a good cleric will have very high intelligence so that it is not a factor (it was not for me), and considering no one enters PVP without some preparation, almost always a high favor, easier to achieve for some guilds than others. Let's not forget that miracles of a good cleric, will NEVER miss.

I don't want to make clerics useless, I want to make it easier for someone to withdraw from combat before a bonespear locks them in place, or a hellfire lights them up.
Meow

Delia
Overlord

#10 Post by Delia » Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:44 am

I think that all logical criticals can interrupt a miracle that is removing use of voice or limb required. I do not think that sheer pain can interrupt a cleric as it can a mage. Falling down being as common as it is, I do not see it doing good to the game if enabled. Unless we want minimal miracle success rates :) Mages can be interrupted when they are hit or when they parry/dodge. I would be very hesitant about moving priests towards that direction.

I kinda like that clerics have it easier and have more varied options when it comes to combat. Keeps things different and interesting.

anglachel
Site Admin

#11 Post by anglachel » Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:51 am

A mircale is not interrupltable becasue not the cleric does cast the miracle, the deity cause the effect. The cleric only try to get the attention of his/her deity at the start. After a waiting time the deity grants the power or not. To interrupt or block a deity is a bit complex :evil:

Delia
Overlord

#12 Post by Delia » Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:38 am

One could always try 'knee Sathonys' and pray for a lucky break.

Olrane
Champion

#13 Post by Olrane » Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:27 am

Jesus, dude. I was in high school still when this thread was last open.

Zehren
Overlord

#14 Post by Zehren » Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:30 am

anglachel wrote:A mircale is not interrupltable becasue not the cleric does cast the miracle, the deity cause the effect. The cleric only try to get the attention of his/her deity at the start. After a waiting time the deity grants the power or not. To interrupt or block a deity is a bit complex :evil:
This. Yup. So many people are "casting" miracles nowadays. Laughing so much each time.
Drayn wrote:Zehren, the Karmassassin!

morgaine
Experienced

#15 Post by morgaine » Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:47 am

My 2 cc on that (having played cleric and non cleric characters), I think the only realistic way of getting the cleric to miss his/her prayers (apart of just hacking away the required limbs the very moment the cleric is praying), would be to have a way to completely gather the clerics attention and thus fumbling his/her prayers. The problem with that is, it should not be the common cause, but rather something rare. Maybe throwing an item could have that effect as a sort of 'critical', but I am not sure about that. In general, the notion towards clerics being hard to interrupt is something I agree with, but I don't think it should be impossible, even with the deity doing the heavy lifting, if the conduit fails then there'll be no channel to release the divine power.
You say in Common: We're not all savage beasts, you know.
You smirk.

Nathan
Journeyman

#16 Post by Nathan » Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:11 am

I also really would like to see some possibility to distract a cleric while casting - maybe one could also consider to make casting of miracles in genral a little more hmm "unpredictable", maybe a little bit more based on the used skills, like variable casting times, variable chance to distract a cleric, variable visibility of the casted miracle.

Nowadays all is way too obvious i mean
- everyone with a decent skill in theosophy recognizes each miracle
- everyone knows how long it takes to cast
- everyone knows the damage and its effects
- everyone simply knows everything about gods and their miracles

I am quite sure that every god would prefer to give his clerics a slight advantage, and being unpredictable would be he most important advantage, while being predictable makes every cleric quite toothless, more like a miracle book keeper.

krelji
Hero

#17 Post by krelji » Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:17 am

I think there might be a short time span (perhaps 1 or 2 seconds at most) where a miracle could be interrupted. I would think that the cleric would first have to get the attention of the god, and then tell said god what is being needed in this moment. However, I also think that this should be a two edged sword. If the short time span is barely missed, then I think the cleric has a chance of getting the miracle for free - the god notices that a cleric is in dire need and decides to help a little more than would be common.
All knowledge is heresy. Yes, you heard me correctly.
It is the nature of religions to thrive on ignorance.

Zehren
Overlord

#18 Post by Zehren » Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:25 pm

krelji wrote:I think there might be a short time span (perhaps 1 or 2 seconds at most) where a miracle could be interrupted. I would think that the cleric would first have to get the attention of the god, and then tell said god what is being needed in this moment. However, I also think that this should be a two edged sword. If the short time span is barely missed, then I think the cleric has a chance of getting the miracle for free - the god notices that a cleric is in dire need and decides to help a little more than would be common.
Logical. Consistent. Reasonable. Zehrenapproved.
Drayn wrote:Zehren, the Karmassassin!

ganandorf
Overlord

#19 Post by ganandorf » Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:01 pm

Zehren wrote:
krelji wrote:I think there might be a short time span (perhaps 1 or 2 seconds at most) where a miracle could be interrupted. I would think that the cleric would first have to get the attention of the god, and then tell said god what is being needed in this moment. However, I also think that this should be a two edged sword. If the short time span is barely missed, then I think the cleric has a chance of getting the miracle for free - the god notices that a cleric is in dire need and decides to help a little more than would be common.
Logical. Consistent. Reasonable. Zehrenapproved.
If Zehren approves it I guess I have no choice but to do the same,
Meow

Drayn
Hero

#20 Post by Drayn » Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:36 pm

Do we get a two second window to not be pummelled in the face by a giant sword?

I'd agree to this for dodging offensive miracles, but defensive, non-offensive utilities should be left be.