Interupting spells/miracles/etc

If it's no bug or an idea, but it's still MUD-related, it goes here.

Moderator: Wizards

krelji
Hero

Re: Interupting spells/miracles/etc

#21 Post by krelji » Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:46 pm

While I might have provided a reasonable explanation as to why and when praying for miracles could be interrupted, I do not think that it would be worth the time and effort to actually code it.
All knowledge is heresy. Yes, you heard me correctly.
It is the nature of religions to thrive on ignorance.

isengoo
Champion

#22 Post by isengoo » Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:50 pm

Many combat specials are actions that would actually take several moments to happen, but they happen instantly - bodycheck, impale, gore, hack, cleave, guard etc etc. It's not unreasonable to think that a cleric requesting a miracle should work this way.

ganandorf
Overlord

#23 Post by ganandorf » Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:36 pm

Also in terms of clerics not really being involved in the process, and only getting attention of the deity, I think that statement is a bit unfair.

The favour cost aside, casting miracles takes a good beseech deity skill as well as alot of mental energy from the cleric, as well gestures, spoken words and lots of concentration are required to cast a miracle. Also what a cleric is holding has to be very specific, you also either need no items wielded or a focus item (you cant cast miracles duel wieldling a plain shortsword). I'd say all those things support that a cleric is fairly involved in miracle casting, and not just "getting attention" of the deity.
Meow

luminier
Overlord

#24 Post by luminier » Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:21 pm

isengoo wrote:Many combat specials are actions that would actually take several moments to happen, but they happen instantly - bodycheck, impale, gore, hack, cleave, guard etc etc. It's not unreasonable to think that a cleric requesting a miracle should work this way.
even at level 100 specials miss fairly regularly.

at level 100 miracles very rarely miss. i don't think the two can be equated with success.
The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world.

Zehren
Overlord

#25 Post by Zehren » Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:30 pm

Zehren wrote:Many combat specials are actions that would actually take several moments to happen, but they happen instantly - bodycheck, impale, gore, hack, cleave, guard etc etc. It's unreasonable for these to be instant.
YEAH. FIX'D.
Drayn wrote:Zehren, the Karmassassin!

ganandorf
Overlord

#26 Post by ganandorf » Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:55 pm

I guess one of the overarching points im trying to make is that all other types of combat can be countered via combat that exists, but unless you have a cleric on your side it is extremely hard to reliably counter a cleric. Magic resistance is rare enough that I don't even consider it a reliable option.
Meow

Delia
Overlord

#27 Post by Delia » Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:47 am

I always thought that delaylimit was the delay for performing specials. I mean, you cannot just type them and seeing them happen instantly, one has to wait in order to perform.

I foresee situations like:

You see Luminier preparing to gore you!(or any such)
Hmm..okies!
Instantly flee a couple of miles(to the next room)

The perks of being a fighter are speed and mobility. If you take them away they would end up in a very bad place unless just about everything else is changed as well.
"To be is to do" - Sokrates
"To do is to be" - Jean-Paul Sartre
"Do be do be do" - Frank Sinatra

Zehren
Overlord

#28 Post by Zehren » Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:50 am

Delia wrote:I always thought that delaylimit was the delay for performing specials. I mean, you cannot just type them and seeing them happen instantly, one has to wait in order to perform.

I foresee situations like:

You see Luminier preparing to gore you!(or any such)
Hmm..okies!
Instantly flee a couple of miles(to the next room)

The perks of being a fighter are speed and mobility. If you take them away they would end up in a very bad place unless just about everything else is changed as well.
Fleeing should take time as well 8)
Drayn wrote:Zehren, the Karmassassin!

Delia
Overlord

#29 Post by Delia » Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:11 am

Yes, if moving between AND within rooms took time it would be different indeed :)
"To be is to do" - Sokrates
"To do is to be" - Jean-Paul Sartre
"Do be do be do" - Frank Sinatra