Mud Theme&Other Things

If it's no bug or an idea, but it's still MUD-related, it goes here.

Moderator: Wizards

Delia
Overlord

Mud Theme&Other Things

#1 Post by Delia » Tue Oct 31, 2006 4:23 am

I felt the need for this thread as people do tend to have (mis?)conceptions about how different things are, even if their characters would surely know better. I, for one fall in this category as well. A general definition about the mud theme would surely ( in my opinion) help new players define their characters more, get some feel about the mud in general, help to define RP and in many small ways help how to view things about the mud world in general.
Discussion about guilds ( btw, I *HATE* the word, speakin of a church as a guild for example, but to make things clear now ) and how people view them and such is welcomed I believe. No actual facts how things work/etc, mind you, just views.
I for one, quite early in Geas started to see think of Geas as "Medieval dark fantasy with heavy emphasis on gods and some high fantasy aspects". It might be just me, or how the players have steered the mud, but gods of Forostar have a really big meaning for me when defining the game world. As such I as a player would love to see the churches to make their teaching more open to their followers. How is a good follower of Taniel expected to behave for example? ( all game/combat things aside ) Where are the respective "twelve commandments"( just an example ) of all the gods? What I would also like is age-old customs for different faiths, I mean it would take a lot to start worshipping a god differently. Given a strong norm how things are and were done, suddenly doing something differently would feel all the more drastic.
As for Crusaders, I think I had succeeded in comprehending what they were about from the start. Warriors resolved to do what it takes+new found faith=bloody fanatics. Ok, that is an overstatement but you get the picture. They never did advertise themselves as "goody-two-shoes" or having any knightly etiquette, nor did they ever behave as such. What I'd want is clearer picture what is Crusaders jurisdiction and what not, but I believe that is more an IC issue :).
As a player with a Shaolin character I feel that I must say something about that too. With all that talk of "neutrality" and "balance" things have started to blur. I have felt that the "balance" between cosmic forces for the Shaolin is between Chaos and Order as opposed to Evil and Good. Given this the "neutrality" is about living relatively normal lives, not actively pursuing other agenda but seeking enlightenment and perfecting themselves, while being contributing members of the society. They are bound by law after all...but who's law? To which direction do the Shaolin bow? Arborea or Elvandar? Again some IC issues to be dealt with. I'm not saying every Shao should be a nice citizen monk but how I see them, I've always thought of them as educated too, atleast to some degree, given the fact that literacy is not that widely spread( or is it? ). Some feedback would be appreciated, on all topics.
Ok..I'll stop now before this spreads too thin and incoherent.
"To be is to do" - Sokrates
"To do is to be" - Jean-Paul Sartre
"Do be do be do" - Frank Sinatra

vurdijak
Hero

commandments

#2 Post by vurdijak » Tue Oct 31, 2006 4:10 pm

I like the idea of the players establishing a set of rules/commandments for their faith. This would enrich the roleplay considerably. These rules could be based first on what the players think their gods would want, and then second on worldly matters that players think should be brought into consideration. I'm thinking of Animal Farm where the rules start out as a definitive set and then slowly are erased from the board. However in Geas the reverse could be true for any church, in that rules would be ADDED to the board. Not sure if a board is the right thing, since we already have those in the temples. Or maybe its the perfect thing.

As for the theme of Geas, I struggle with understanding the phrases high fantasy and dark fantasy. To me high fantasy is like Tolkien, while dark fantasy involves vampires etc. Is this wrong?

Anyway since I dont understand the terms, I'll give you my own take on it.
Geas first appealed to me because it had races I was familiar with (mostly), an atmosphere that was familiar (starting in a inn), and a unique detailed world. Many of the features resembled those same features from when I used to play DnD with old friends. Is DnD high fantasy?

I would say the prevailing theme in the world of Geas is conflict and high emotion, set in a 'traditional' fantasy world.

Someone will sometimes ask someone to describe what their music sounds like, and they inevitably reply with something like 'its a mix of Radiohead, Megadeath, Anthrax, Bob Dillan, and Moby' <shudders at the prospect>

So next time someone stops and asks: Hey man, so how would you describe your mud? (as if this would ever happen)
I would tell them Geas is a mix of DnD, Middle Earth, and a touch of the movie Willow....Peck! Peck, peck peck peck peckpeckpeck!

Delia
Overlord

#3 Post by Delia » Wed Nov 01, 2006 2:45 am

One description for "dark fantasy" as I see Geas could be... ( copy&paste from wikipedia )

Dark fantasy tending towards fantasy:
"Dark fantasy in this context refers to stories that focus on elements usually found in the horror genre but which take place in a setting more alike sword and sorcery or high fantasy. It may or may not take place in its own fantasy world. In this sense, dark fantasy is usually considered a sub-genre of fantasy. Michael Moorcock's Elric stories are probably the best-known examples of this form of dark fantasy."

"Dark fantasy is also used to refer to "grittier" fantasy, conducted in settings which represent the brutality of the medieval period of most fantasy, generally with a dash of supernatural horror"
"To be is to do" - Sokrates
"To do is to be" - Jean-Paul Sartre
"Do be do be do" - Frank Sinatra

vurdijak
Hero

yeah

#4 Post by vurdijak » Wed Nov 01, 2006 9:44 am

Yeah that sounds about right, and I think Geas has some of those elements. Thanks for the definition.