TMS geas reviews

If it's no bug or an idea, but it's still MUD-related, it goes here.

Moderator: Wizards

tannorath
Experienced

TMS geas reviews

#1 Post by tannorath » Wed Jun 29, 2005 11:23 am

Hey guys, how about writing some more reviews of Geas on the "Top Mud Sites" ? We have an outstanding average of 1 review / year ;( , kind of pathethic considering how many players love this game ...

Anyway, i just started:

http://www.topmudsites.com/cgi-bin/revi ... y&num=7043

chara
Wizard

#2 Post by chara » Wed Jun 29, 2005 11:55 am

Hey, awesome review! You rock :!: :)

iza
Veteran

#3 Post by iza » Wed Jun 29, 2005 10:06 pm

I've been meaning to write one but decided on working on half-elf document instead. This is probably one of the least advertised games i've ever played. While i've always played the 100+ player muds, i've never found this universe lacking in people to do stuff with, its always seemed so full of life. Anyways i'll write a good one before the summer is over and another school semester starts.

btw , its was mere accident i found this mud...i clicked the wrong link and then clicked the picture on the intro page...I was going to go back but the words class/level less got my attention and i ended up reading more. And that's why a cocky, spiky haired half-elf was created in geas. 8)
Last edited by iza on Thu Jun 30, 2005 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Geas. Imagination sold separately.

tannorath
Experienced

#4 Post by tannorath » Thu Jun 30, 2005 3:06 am

Thats exactly my point, i too ended up here almost by accident and i was surprised of how many good features and how promissing this place is! its a shame that we don't advertise it more ... more players = more fun :)

jezz
Hero

#5 Post by jezz » Thu Jun 30, 2005 3:47 am

I'll write one soon :D

Wizs could send lasers and atomic-gloves to the players writing them... :roll:

Abharsair
Site Admin

#6 Post by Abharsair » Thu Jun 30, 2005 5:11 am

Yes, we are aware that Geas isn't very aggressively advertised. One of the main reasons is that we think there are a couple of elements still missing to make newbies stay longer. Of those elements, one is a decent newbie starting area (which is in work), which draws new players immediately into the gameplay, and which offers a detailed explanation of the commands and features. Also, the tutorial could need some work, and the starting equipment wouldn't mind improvements either.

Another element is the new continent (which is mostly finished) to offer our experienced players more rooms to roam and explore, because while it is important to get new players, it is also important to entertain the older ones, or else they leave again after a while.

Yeah, I know, we might be too much of perfectionists, but we are reluctant to yell "Hey, play our game!" if we aren't completely satisfied with it yet. However, if you decide to write reviews (even honest and critical ones), and to vote for Geas at the various mud-listing sites, then we surely appreciate it. Actually we are very glad if you do so. We just don't want to talk anyone into doing it if they didn't intend to.
"The beatings will continue until morale improves."

tannorath
Experienced

#7 Post by tannorath » Thu Jun 30, 2005 6:14 am

Fair enough :wink:

I look forward to see the new continent i knew nothing about it :shock: and all the other cool changes that i am sure will come!

My point was that not everybody likes to play a PERFECT game! Sometimes, beeing part of something that is activly changing is more enjoying and more rewarding then playing a game that has a gzillion of features but remains the same over the years!

Its all about THE RIDE , and not THE DESTINATION :lol:

I bet i sounded a bit hippy saying that ... ok, i'll stop before starting to sing: "flowers, love and harmony" :D

Keep up the good work !

tessa
Overlord

#8 Post by tessa » Thu Jun 30, 2005 8:12 am

I agree with Tannorath. With a game that's done, you have everything available right then and there, so once you explore it all, that's that. With GEAS, a little bit is added as we go, so even if we know the land from Asador to Isansyr Forest to a T, there will always be something new added down the road. And having areas given to us from time to time instead of all at once, I think it helps keep some people around and active.

chara
Wizard

#9 Post by chara » Thu Jun 30, 2005 8:24 am

I don't think the construction on Geas will ever be finished, never fear! But I think things are/were quite hard for real newbies. I hate starting out in a new game without a clear idea of what to go or where to do. I just had a terrible time in a mud I tested, where I wandered around for @hours before I found anyone to communicate with! I despised it, and decided not to go back there. So, we're working to remove some of that feeling from Geas.

This has already had some progress with things like the newbie line. And I am working on a newbie village, which will be the first of a string of newbie villages, so that each race will have a new start location, eventually. The newbie village will be full of small quests and help newbies to get the hang of playing the game - I hope.

Unfortunately, I started off with a pretty darned big town to complete :shock: and have had limited time to code, so the project is a little bit stalled :oops: But I think it's things like this that Abh is thinking of when he says the game is not quite ready for heavy advertisement, not that everything should be absolutely finished and in place. What would be wizzes do if we ever finished everything? :lol:

iza
Veteran

#10 Post by iza » Thu Jun 30, 2005 11:59 am

While newbie village is a great idea, i found that the game was completely boring to me until i found 'crossing' and met a certain female dwarf sitting there idle. After that the game really starting to come alive and i started meeting all kinds of players.

If you really want to make newbie life enjoyable from the begining, i'd start them off there. Give them a scroll explaining @chat, and a map leading them to their respective cities and when its complete telling them about newbie village.

Usually no one hangs around in the cities, while there is stuff to do and discover there, the best thing Geas has to offer is not coded and usually found in abundance at crossing. :wink:
Geas. Imagination sold separately.